Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

There's a lot of "misunderstanding" around "automatic fire suppression". Many people may see a hood over a grill in a restaurant and call it a "Halon" because it was popular pre 1994 when it was banned due to ozone depleting studies.

Ansul systems are the most common automatic fire suppression after the basic "water sprinkler" systems that are found nearly everywhere. Tha ansul systems are used where water isn't preferred like grease cooking, manufacturer storage of magnesium, or where the water damage could cause other issues like computer rooms, data storage,or other areas where electronics are at risk. The ansul systems are typically designed with the use between several available suppression agents depending on the design criteria.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There's a lot of "misunderstanding" around "automatic fire suppression". Many people may see a hood over a grill in a restaurant and call it a "Halon" because it was popular pre 1994 when it was banned due to ozone depleting studies.

Ansul systems are the most common automatic fire suppression after the basic "water sprinkler" systems that are found nearly everywhere. Tha ansul systems are used where water isn't preferred like grease cooking, manufacturer storage of magnesium, or where the water damage could cause other issues like computer rooms, data storage,or other areas where electronics are at risk. The ansul systems are typically designed with the use between several available suppression agents depending on the design criteria.
Yep, Halon went the way of freon. I retired in 1989 and the systems I described in my previous post were installed around 1980 or 1981 (?) and removed from service in around 1985 or 1986 if I remember correctly. Actually, I think they were "disarmed" in 85-86, pending contractor modifications to make them safe to use (which was never done) and finally removed after I retired, probably in 1990-1992 (when the base was deactivated and all "high dollar items" were removed from the buildings) before the base was turned over to the local community.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #23
travelin texans

Mentioned was the risk of a LP fire due to an accident or tire blow out. In the past several years with implementation of the OFD devices on propane bottles that risk has all but disappeared. Any sudden rapid release of propane the flow is immediately shut at the valve, meaning unless the bottle is ruptured the only fuel will be what small amount is in the lines. Disconnect the line from your bottle then open the valve, how much spews out? If any you need to replace that bottle ASAP!
The DW just reminded me that we did witness a RV burning right outside our RV park, but it was due to something in the rear of the Ford SUV tow vehicle (not the fridge), it took about 20 minutes for both to be a pile of charred metal & ashes.
I will say I've seen dozens of RVs/tow vehicles on their sides at the side of the road due to winds, poor/reckless driving or in my opinion the major cause, too much rv with not near enough tow vehicle coupled with the other two mentioned.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #24
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Mentioned was the risk of a LP fire due to an accident or tire blow out. In the past several years with implementation of the OFD devices on propane bottles that risk has all but disappeared. Any sudden rapid release of propane the flow is immediately shut at the valve, meaning unless the bottle is ruptured the only fuel will be what small amount is in the lines. Disconnect the line from your bottle then open the valve, how much spews out? If any you need to replace that bottle ASAP!
The DW just reminded me that we did witness a RV burning right outside our RV park, but it was due to something in the rear of the Ford SUV tow vehicle (not the fridge), it took about 20 minutes for both to be a pile of charred metal & ashes.
I will say I've seen dozens of RVs/tow vehicles on their sides at the side of the road due to winds, poor/reckless driving or in my opinion the major cause, too much rv with not near enough tow vehicle coupled with the other two mentioned.
Danny, This is offered as a question - not a statement of fact...It was my understanding that the OPD valve only protects the tank when there is nothing connected to the valve. Once you connect a hose to the valve, the OPD valve is opened. Modern connection hoses, however, also include an excess flow restriction valve that will limit the flow of gas to about 20% of full open. It is for this reason, the tank valve needs to be opened slowly to allow back pressure to build and prevent the excess flow valve from closing. For a much better explanation:
So, if something accidentally opens your system to the atmosphere, it would be quite possible to completely drain the tanks (at about 20% of full flow). Now, I still agree with John, you, and others on the whole refrigerator fire issue. But the "GasStop" propane valves might be a very good investment to prevent bulk loss of propane.

Again - asking the question - not stating facts. Comments?
Thanks,
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #25
LewisB

The GasStop safety shut-off valve closes when flow rate reaches 57,000 btu/m. This should stop any "open flow" accidental releases without impacting normal use of multiple appliances on gas.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

OPD
Over fill
Prevention
Device

It has nothing to do with flow out of cylinder. It prevents over filling the tank. IIRC it limits the capacity to 80%. Before that device was mandated, it was common place to fill a 7 gal cylinder with 7.5 or even 8 gal of LP.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #27
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
OPD
Over fill
Prevention
Device

It has nothing to do with flow out of cylinder. It prevents over filling the tank. IIRC it limits the capacity to 80%. Before that device was mandated, it was common place to fill a 7 gal cylinder with 7.5 or even 8 gal of LP.
Thanks Chuck. So, what I don't understand is if you open the valve (nothing connected to it) and nothing comes out, if it isn't the OPD stopping it, then what is it that is stopping the flow? Do you have any experience with the GasStop valves?

Thanks again.