Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
LadyFaire

Mounting a Backup Camera

This poor horse has probably been beaten to death so many times, and I apologize. I looked at a few of the other 'camera' posts, but didn't see my concern.

My concern is this: I plan on mounting the camera just below the center clearance light on the back. However. The aluminum skin there is NOT backed by ANYTHING. There is at least an inch of space between the outer skin before the wood framing of the camper. How would I 'brace' the mounting bracket? These cameras, while small, are NOT featherweights. I'm afraid that vibration, bouncing, etc, while in motion will cause the weight of the camera to tear the sheet metal screws right out of the back. I don't want to cut a hole big enough to make bracing, and the hole for the clearance light is about an inch in diameter.

Any suggestions?

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Texas Steve

I have been considering one of these license plate mounted cameras from Costco. Not sure how good they are, but they are wireless.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
LadyFaire

Unfortunately, my license plate holder is so low, that my field of view would be limited. I was hoping to mount up high for assistance in backing into areas where there might be overhead to be worried about - tree limbs, etc. I did think of the license plate bracket mounted ones at first, but just to 'see', I put my gopro on the bracket and looked at the resulting picture. That was when I decided that I wanted it mounted up higher. And since I could connect to power at the clearance lights, it just seemed like a good place.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
This poor horse has probably been beaten to death so many times, and I apologize. I looked at a few of the other 'camera' posts, but didn't see my concern.

My concern is this: I plan on mounting the camera just below the center clearance light on the back. However. The aluminum skin there is NOT backed by ANYTHING. There is at least an inch of space between the outer skin before the wood framing of the camper. How would I 'brace' the mounting bracket? These cameras, while small, are NOT featherweights. I'm afraid that vibration, bouncing, etc, while in motion will cause the weight of the camera to tear the sheet metal screws right out of the back. I don't want to cut a hole big enough to make bracing, and the hole for the clearance light is about an inch in diameter.

Any suggestions?

If you remove the center marker lamp, why not just take a small piece of wood or plastic and use self tapping screws, mount the camera and connect power and reinstall the marker lamp? I cut a very small groove in the marker lamp frame and ran wires through it to the camera and then sealed with a dab of silicon.

I had little luck with cheapo wireless cameras so ran a wired set up up to the front of my 5ver and then from my monitor to back of truck; bought the type that has weatherproof, screw together connector. I ran the wire on the back of my fiver through a D shaped wiring loom which is self adhesive stuff on the back. I just tied up the wire under the camper and out of the way. Works a lot better than wireless and I would consider this approach if you have a aluminum siding,
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
LadyFaire

This is actually the SIXTH backup camera I've purchased. NONE of the others would work, or would work consistently. The camera transmits wirelessly (and has several channels to choose from in the case of interference), but has hardwired power. The reviews were all outstanding, including someone who has had the setup for a couple of years. But the main sales point for me was the praise for 'customer service'.

I was considering the piece of wood on the backside, but wasn't SURE. Your advice helps with that a LOT, thank you. As long as I can get a piece wide enough for the bracket and thick enough to not fragment when the screws get driven in. The advice about notching the clearance light frame dovetailed with my intentions, so that, too is a relief! And yes, I had plans to thoroughly SEAL both the screw holes for the camera and to re-seal around the light frame. The last thing I want is a way for water to get into the 'skin'.

Thank you SO much for the help, I do appreciate it!

Tags
mount