Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Mahi541992

Folding Door Handel on Travel Trailer

Hello,

Has anyone changed out the folding handle on the entrance door of their Keystone Travel Trailer? I am looking to change to a more low profile that doesn't fold.

Thanks
Mahi541992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahi541992 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone changed out the folding handle on the entrance door of their Keystone Travel Trailer? I am looking to change to a more low profile that doesn't fold.

Thanks
Just curious! Why?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
bobbecky

If you have been falsely led to believe the folding handle will lock you in if someone closes it while you are inside, don’t worry, the handle will open when you open the door.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Mahi541992

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just curious! Why?
I just got this trailer and feel the handle just sticks out to far...taking it on the first trip this weekend will see if we get used to it...our old trailer that I had for 20 plus years had a low profile handle ..maybe I was just used to that...was just wanting to see if anyone has changed out and where they purchased the 24" on center low profile handle..if they did..

Thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
Mahi541992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If you have been falsely led to believe the folding handle will lock you in if someone closes it while you are inside, don’t worry, the handle will open when you open the door.
Thanks ..no didn't even think of that ...plus we have two doors with the front door only having a 12" handle...so no worries there..
Old 07-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I just got this trailer and feel the handle just sticks out to far...taking it on the first trip this weekend will see if we get used to it...our old trailer that I had for 20 plus years had a low profile handle ..maybe I was just used to that...was just wanting to see if anyone has changed out and where they purchased the 24" on center low profile handle..if they did..

Thanks
Most people go in the opposite direction and replace the "low profile" with a folding handle that's easier to reach when opening the door.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Most people go in the opposite direction and replace the "low profile" with a folding handle that's easier to reach when opening the door.
The DW wants a folding one on ours... I don't have the guts to try and attach it without knowing exactly what kind of backing (if any) is above and below the current one. Stud finder alerts to something being there, I'm just not sure that what I'm able to find with the finder is actually meant for a handle to be attached there. And Keystone can't tell me either... When I inquired with the dealer about the backing, they said sure, "we can put one on for you..." Not a chance in -blank- buddy!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #8
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
The DW wants a folding one on ours... I don't have the guts to try and attach it without knowing exactly what kind of backing (if any) is above and below the current one. Stud finder alerts to something being there, I'm just not sure that what I'm able to find with the finder is actually meant for a handle to be attached there. And Keystone can't tell me either... When I inquired with the dealer about the backing, they said sure, "we can put one on for you..." Not a chance in -blank- buddy!
If there is any framing you might be able to tell by staples on the inside. It will be tight against the door frame.

At the bedroom door of our Cougar I didn't hit framing when I drilled so I drilled all the way thru the wall. A small metal plate at each location and bolts all the way thru the wall made for a solid mount. I used nylock nuts on the inside so they won't loosen.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
Mahi541992

Thanks Bill..
Old 07-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Thanks Bill..
That was Customer1 who responded to you.

But you’re welcome!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Stud finders can't find wood or aluminum!

Hi: Just wanted to note that when I asked Keystone where certain backing plates were they said to use a stud finder. Most stud finders are either open with a little rotating part which is a magnet or electronic ferrous metal detectors. Both types are great at finding studs in stick built houses as they find the nails or screws used to hold the gypsum board to the walls. They will no find aluminum or wood. There are electronic devices that use something close to sonar that will tell you what is behind a surface regardless of its material but the cost of such a unit makes it purely an industrial tool.
The method that works best if you are mounting something with a flange around the screws is to drill a .032 hole where you think the backer may be and watch to see what chips, if any, come out after you penetrate the skin. If you get wood, great! Aluminum, great too! If nothing, put a piece of thin wire in the hole and explore side to side. Chances are you will not be too far off and the hole can be sealed behind the flange with whatever you seal the screws with. Just remember that rv walls are thin. Put tape around the drill so you do not go more than a half inch in. If you don't tape it, you just may come out the other side!
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
MarkEHansen

Huh? The stud finders I've always used locate the wood stud, not the nail. For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zircon-S...5945/205143494

This will locate each edge of the stud under the wallboard.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Sorry, I guess I am too old school.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #14
NH_Bulldog

This is how close mine is mounted to the door. I could take it or leave it. Our door opens 90° and with the handle deployed it feels confining going in or out. We usually keep it folded in and you can still grab it for support like the typical grab handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CDE8C38-A196-407B-8BB8-B6C96AC8FAE2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	28862  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:01 AM   #15
judia

Large door handle

As an older camper, I love the larger door handle. So much more stable going up and down the steps. Would never go back to the smaller one.
judia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:06 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

With the smaller handle, if mounted so that "vertically challenged people" can reach it from the ground, it's too low to use exiting the trailer. If mounted high enough to use exiting the trailer, those same "vertically challenged people" can't reach it from the ground and most need to be on the first step to use the small handle.....

The larger "swing away handle" comes in many different styles, some with an extended lower section, some with a stabilizer bar on the bottom (that attaches to the steps) and some that, when open, extend only about half as much as the OEM bar. So, there are options that use the same attachment points, swing away and aren't as confining or that are substantially more secure.

As for the smaller handle, it's possible to install it "between the mounts of the larger handle and have both on the trailer, small and unobtrusive or larger and more extending, depending on the camp site and preference... Sort of the "best of both worlds".....

Mounting can be "tricky"... Here is a "cross-section drawing" of how many RV's are constructed. Note the hand bar needs to be "far enough away for the door to close" but also "close enough for the screws to catch the aluminum structure....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ENTRY RAIL MOUNT.png
Views:	89
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	29013  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer