Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #1
mfifield01

New Mexico Travel

It looks like New Mexico just restricted travel by vehicle for 14 days. I currently plan on passing through to get to CO. Not sure what this means for a self contained RV. I don't plan to use any facilities (besides gas) on my way through the state.

https://cv.nmhealth.org/2020/07/01/s...DGO-etL-Br_1OM
Old 07-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #2
gearhead

Hmmm....what are they going to do, pull over every out of state vehicle on the road?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Hmmm....what are they going to do, pull over every out of state vehicle on the road?
Here's the wording from the order, "Hotels and other places of lodging are expected to enforce the 14-day travel quarantine for any out-of-state visitors and report non-compliance to state health authorities."

I'm just passing through with an overnight reservation, so I don't know if that would work. I would technically "quarantine" in my TT with my own food/supplies.

I'll call some parks after a couple days. They probably need to sort out what this means for them.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:45 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
With the "first quarantine" the state of Delaware did just that. Not stopping on I95 but rather posted state troopers at every exit. Any out of state plate was told to either transit the state or pull over and register for a 14 day quarantine including the address of where you would be. That did that at the state lines as well. Of course, that's a very small state and a lot easier to "lock down" than most.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
mfifield01

Here's what is stated, "Hotels and other places of lodging are expected to enforce the 14-day travel quarantine for any out-of-state visitors and report non-compliance to state health authorities. That executive order is attached."

In Texas, they used DPS troopers at the Louisiana border. They did actually check that the person was at the reported location. The way I read the Texas order is that you it was 14 days or until you left the state (shorter of the two). I can't find the verbiage in the NM order.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Here's what is stated, "Hotels and other places of lodging are expected to enforce the 14-day travel quarantine for any out-of-state visitors and report non-compliance to state health authorities. That executive order is attached."

In Texas, they used DPS troopers at the Louisiana border. They did actually check that the person was at the reported location. The way I read the Texas order is that you it was 14 days or until you left the state (shorter of the two). I can't find the verbiage in the NM order.
I don't know what the troopers did at I-10 but on Hwy12 at Deweyville they were pretty laid back about it. I crossed there at least 3 times.
It went like this:
Where you been in Louisiana?
Family cemetery in Oberlin.
Where's that?
About 30 miles east of here.
How long were you there?
Just long enough to see the cemetery needs mowing and to p. Didn't even turn the truck off.
Where you from?
Liberty.
You know a trooper Smith there?
Yeah good guy. Lives around the corner and coached my daughters softball team.
Have a good day.
You too.

Next 2 times through they just waved. I saluted back.

There ain't no way there's enough troopers to enforce that.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
gearhead

Dang Leals would almost be worth the detour.
An alternative could be 287 out of Amarillo thru Dumas (Ding Dong Daddy), up to 160 and west to Pagosa. Actually that sounds interesting.
Who sang that song...Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas??

edit add...Phil Baxter, Phil Harris, Bob Wills, Louie Armstrong, the Osmonds and everybody else apparently.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

When coming into FL this trip I10 was roadblocked. All travelers were asked if they had come from 4 particular states and if so what was their destination. If within FL you had to pull out, fill out an informational form on where you were going/staying and told to observe a 14 day quarantine in that place to be monitored by local law enforcement (I never saw any enforcement).

Staying overnite in NM I'm not sure how they would handle that. I DO know they don't have near enough troopers to cover all the rural highways and interstates - not kinda sorta. If it were me I believe I would make sure my overnight wasn't in/near a metropolitan area and tell any roadblock my ultimate destination without going into details.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #9
Keystoned

Similar wording for Alaska also. We were planning a month long mid August trip there but probably won't for 2 reasons.
1. RV self quantine only works if it is stationary.
2. Getting there by plane does not seem safe enough.

Just passing through might not be an issue but let us know what you find out...
Old 07-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
mfifield01

I'm looking at staying in Muleshoe, TX (near the border), then staying south of Pagosa Springs, CO. This would be a good drive, but I wouldn't have to overnight in NM.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Not that it's applicable to travel in New Mexico, but travel "through Canada to Alaska" may be an issue.

I just sold an old generator to a guy who lives in Nova Scotia. He is an American, bought an island in one of the bays with a house on it, bought a sailboat and wanted the generator to keep the batteries on the boat charged. He's currently living in the Detroit area because as an American, he can't cross the border into Canada to get back to his island.

I'm not sure of all the details, but according to him, the border crossings into Canada are closed to travel (or severely restricted I'd suppose).

If going to Alaska this summer, I'd contact the Canadian authorities to get some exact and true details on whether it's even possible to drive to Alaska and if so, what are the limitations.

Same with New Mexico, I'd call the public spokesman for the NM highway patrol and ask if there is any problem towing through with an overnight stop, as long as you remain in/around your trailer for the evening.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I'm looking at staying in Muleshoe, TX (near the border), then staying south of Pagosa Springs, CO. This would be a good drive, but I wouldn't have to overnight in NM.

Muleshoe is surely a hole in the wall kind of town. The community was one I was responsible for in my region decades ago. If you stay there you should treat yourself to eating at Leal's Mexican restaurant. Back then the founder Mr. Leal worked in the restaurant and would personally visit with you. I don't think he does that anymore or even if he is alive. They did expand what was an extremely popular menu into several restaurants around the region. Looks like they only have a carryout menu at the moment but you should check. I used to love their burrito plate; don't remember what the name of it was but it might have been the Leal's Special. If it is as good as it used to be you can't go wrong and will have a new benchmark for Mexican food.

On another note, if you are going in July they might be bringing in corn. I haven't seen near the number of corn fields in that area in recent years but if you find some you should try it. Did a favor for a farmer there and he called me to give some corn. They were loading the ears into crates. I pulled up and he had some hands come to the truck and load me up with a 1/2 dozen crates of corn. It was the bi color, super sweet kind and it was the first time I had ever had it and it knocked my socks off (we were used to what we call "field" corn). Anyway, a couple of things to check out in an otherwise unremarkable place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
travelin texans

If it's the menu as in the past their hatch green chile queso is an absolute must. I got it with the chips before the entree & also had it poured over the entree. I'm making my mouth water just mentioning it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #14
roadglide

I live in New Mexico. I can tell you the sheriffs police department Cannot enforce it and don’t car to . Service at all the truckstops if you are concerned. Wuhan Lujan blows more smoke and hot air we pay now or a little attention to her dictating what we can do in New Mexico. I can tell you one thing the RV I left a new Mexico while visiting my son was full every night with campers.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #15
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I live in New Mexico. I can tell you the sheriffs police department Cannot enforce it and don’t car to . Service at all the truckstops if you are concerned. Wuhan Lujan blows more smoke and hot air we pay now or a little attention to her dictating what we can do in New Mexico. I can tell you one thing the RV I left a new Mexico while visiting my son was full every night with campers.
It looks like the Governor states this as a voluntary quarantine. She mentions that it would be difficult to enforce. I'm going to limit my time in New Mexico.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #16
kb0zke

Muleshoe, TX has a very nice city RV park. If I remember correctly, it is called Heritage Park. It is actually just a parking lot with about a dozen FHU sites. FREE for the first three nights. If they are full, Hereford, TX is just up the road and also has a city park with about a half dozen FHU sites. Muleshoe is all pull-thru, while Hereford is all back-in.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #17
JWS

"An alternative could be 287 out of Amarillo thru Dumas (Ding Dong Daddy), up to 160 and west to Pagosa."
I'm in the same boat planning a trip to Durango and other places in Colorado from East Texas. Can anyone enlighten me as to how good this route would be with RV Trailer? The extra time won't be a concern heck I'll just make another day of it. Was planning first stop to be in Amarillo anyway.
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
"An alternative could be 287 out of Amarillo thru Dumas (Ding Dong Daddy), up to 160 and west to Pagosa."
I'm in the same boat planning a trip to Durango and other places in Colorado from East Texas. Can anyone enlighten me as to how good this route would be with RV Trailer? The extra time won't be a concern heck I'll just make another day of it. Was planning first stop to be in Amarillo anyway.
We've been going up 287 to Pagosa since the 1970's , mostly to elk hunt. There are some pretty good pulls around Chama and Chromo. I've been up Raton Pass but it was quite a while ago. I don't think Raton is near as bad as it was.
That said, going north out of Dumas to hit 160, and then going west is a long way north.
I'm debating whether to just chance it going through New Mexico. They didn't send me a letter saying not to. I'm pretty good at playing dumb.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #19
JWS

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will keep the 160 route as a possibility. I'm sure the better route is through NM to Pagosa Sprgs. If I hit a road block I can turn around or play dumb. Never needed training for that!
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #20
mfifield01

Quote:
We've been going up 287 to Pagosa since the 1970's , mostly to elk hunt. There are some pretty good pulls around Chama and Chromo. I've been up Raton Pass but it was quite a while ago. I don't think Raton is near as bad as it was.
That said, going north out of Dumas to hit 160, and then going west is a long way north.
I'm debating whether to just chance it going through New Mexico. They didn't send me a letter saying not to. I'm pretty good at playing dumb.
I'm going through New Mexico. I'm keeping my current reservation in Clovis. I will stop there and then drive to Durango the next day. It's a voluntary quarantine (and local lodging is supposed to report). I called the RV Park in Clovis, they said it's fine as long as you don't go shopping, etc.