Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
mfifield01

Sold the Passport

I decided to sell my Passport after my 16 day trip to Colorado. Between the long summer trip to Colorado this year and last, I only used it twice. Kid activities started to take up a lot of time. The other big thing was the frontal area coming up twice. I would check, clean, and use Dicor every 6 months on the roof, but it still had issues. The first time, it came up while driving in 105 degree heat. The front area had some ripples in it. It pulled the front filon enough to pull up the termination strip (alum strip that covers the filon and rubber roof). This was on the way to Colorado last year. I had enough screws to fix it that night. The next morning I found Dicor at an RV shop on our way. I sealed it up. Then this year, the filon came out from under the termination strip. Again it was hot (108 in West Texas) and we were on our way to NM/Colorado. The strip was still secure, but I had to pull it up to put the filon back under it. Luckily, I purchased eternabond tape. I used the eternabond on the whole strip and Dicor around the edges of the eternabond.

Eventually, I'll get another camper with a different frontal area design. It looks like they've changed them a lot in the past few years. My wife wants something bigger. After I told her I would need a bigger truck, she wasn't as enthusiastic.

I ended up putting just over 20,000 miles on the Passport in 5 years. Considering I work 40-60 hour weeks and use to travel a lot for my job, I feel that we got a lot of use out of it.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Well, I can understand your reasons, stick around though.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think most families will go through much the same "thought process"...

When our kids entered Junior High, we found that our time was spent at their "school functions" more and more. Our weekends became "support the kids in their activities" and we had "precious little time for camping or RV'ing"...

We sold our trailer, got out of RV'ing for about 5 or 6 years, then "got the wonderlust urge" again and bought another RV... Since the kids are grown and out of the house, we find that we use the RV more for our summer travels and do the things we always wanted to do, go to the places we would bypass with the kids in tow while "on the way to Disneyland or Disney World or King's Island or ???? Now, it's a much more leisurely weekend around a campfire with no TV, no radio and no "Dad, are we there yet?"....

I'm sure in a few years, your DW will reconsider that "bigger tow vehicle" and you'll wind up with another RV parked beside the garage... Until then, cherish the time you have with your kids still at home. Those years pass far too quickly and they will be "grown, on their own, with kids of their own" almost before you can stop long enough to ask, "What's on the schedule next weekend ?".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
mfifield01

I plan to stick around the forum. I was looking at some Outbacks this weekend.

My only hesitation on selling is the memories with the kids camping. We had many great trips/memories. It also gets them out of their tablets/TV/game consoles. We may look at cabins for the near term. My friend just bought a 44' Toy Hauler, we may just end up tagging along with them.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Stick around. BTDT with the situation you face with not only the family and work but the darn RV being an issue. Takes a lot of the fun away when something just seems determined to ruin your day at times.

It is something you and DW will have to determine but those memories with the kids are there, waiting to be made each year. We made zillions of them when they were young but by the time my DS was 15 he had no use for going camping, hanging out with us or anything else so things kind of fizzled. Now he is an avid hunter, fisher and camper. Although it seemed he had completely lost interest in those trips and times, he can sit down these days and recount entire camping trips with excitement....40+ years later. Pretty cool and makes me laugh.

So, keep that RV in mind. I did the cabin/condo thing for 20 years along with RVing.....I'll take the RVing. Good luck in finding what works for you guys.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
LewisB

^^^Same experience as everyone else for us!

I thought when the kids were gone, we would "downsize" - what actually happened was we lost the kids and gained toys instead. First Harley's and now SxS's (side-by-side's). So we have had our largest, biggest, heaviest rigs AFTER the kids were gone. Go figure.

Hang in there and don't give up the plans for a bigger TV - you just might end up in a DRW "super truck" in the end!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #7
mfifield01

My thoughts are more long term right now. My current TV is 7 years old. I'll probably go bigger when I decide I need a new one in 3-8 years from now. At that point, I'd start looking at RVs.

We had a lot of fun with it. I might even consider renting something similar. I kept my WDH.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

My Godson bought our previous camper when we bought the current unit. About 3 years ago he sold it when he and his family bought a new house. Last year we didn't get out at all due to DW medical issues (we're making up for it this year). So the Godson has been borrowing our camper for his family occasionally. It keeps the camper working and moving and I like to see his little ones enjoy it.

I wouldn't rent ours out or let but about 3 people I know borrow it. He's the type that treats things right and returns it cleaner and in better shape than when he takes it.

If you don't know of anyone to borrow from than some have rental units but may be gone for this season given the "Covid-19 RV Rush" that's going on. If you do rent, my advice is to take pictures of EVERYTHING and note ANY imperfections/damage before hitching it up. When I was working I rented literally hundreds of cars all over the country. I would take picture before I drove it off the lot and when I returned it. Twice a rental car company tried to hit me with damages that I didn't make. The photos, emailed to them, stopped that in it's tracks.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport