Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Pdarlington

Cracks near slides

Today we were looking at a used 2019 Cougar 366RDS. Our RV dealer just received it yesterday. We absolutely love this floor plan. The unit was pretty much in brand new condition. However one big issue, in my opinion. There obviously is an issue with the door side slide in the living room as there was a fairly significant scratch, almost tear in the flooring where the slide dragged a bit. The dealer said that the slides needed to be adjusted. Ok...so hubby inspects the outside and found these cracks on that same side both inside and outside by the slide. The slide is in the right rear corner. Our dealer said he couldn’t respond with a solution until he spoke with the experts in the shop. He is pretty certain it can be fixed. Our concern is the structural integrity and of course there is no warranty because it is used. So thought I would post in here to get some opinions and to see if anyone has had this issue. We really like this trailer but I am very concerned that even after they repair it, we could have this crack reappear, or there is damage to the inside since the crack is both inside and out. The other option was buy the trailer after the crack is repaired and buy an extended warranty, however I am wondering if this particular issue would void the warranty as it is a preexisting issue. Your comments are appreciated. Sorry pics are not oriented correctly. The crack is at the top rear corner, slide is in the right back corner of the unit. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73148B63-9420-4416-B766-16B4F9946FCD.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	28751   Click image for larger version

Name:	334C4097-6B1F-40F7-B67E-D70E8BA2A5DC.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	28752  
Pdarlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure what has caused that structurally and I'm sure others will chime in with thoughts but;

for the stress of whatever it was/is to be enough to crack the exterior AND interior wall gives me great pause. Don't know if it was slide abuse, framing/wall issue but none of them are good. I highly doubt "adjusting" the slide (assuming cable) is going to do anything for you long term, especially if the walls are cracked and then the slide is dragging the floor.

I do know this, unless they were selling it at fire sale/salvage pricing I wouldn't want it. Slides are a headache in and of themselves without having some unknown wall/frame/slide anomaly going on that isn't identified. Cracked filon from apparent stress? Split in inside wall? If I'm buying something I don't want either of them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
travelin texans

I've had an '02, '09 & a '13 5th wheel & all 3 had that minor crack near the bedroom slide, had all 3 RVs 5-6 years each & cracks never got worse. I assumed being they all had them near the front slide over the hitch in a very narrow corner of the slide opening that it was from bouncing up/down our great highways. As for determining if it's structural I'd say if it opens up the crack significantly, say 1/4 to 1/2", when hitched to the truck I'd say structural, if not just stress on a narrow spot of fiberglass.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Pdarlington

We are likely not going to drive it anywhere as we have an rv lot and will parking it there permanently. Therefore won’t be on the highways other than drive it to our lot.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
ChuckS

I would run from this unit... if this is a front slide out you’ve got major repairs and the dealership should know exactly what’s causing this... it is not a new problem..

The issues with this crack.. since the relief cutout is already incorporated into the design build indicates that a weld has broken loose inside the wall frame structure..

Too many other fifth wheels out there to choose from...

Here is an idea of what is entailed in repairing that crack properly....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB-180328 Sidewall Repair(1).pdf (631.4 KB, 546 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
Rich1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I would run from this unit... if this is a front slide out you’ve got major repairs and the dealership should know exactly what’s causing this... it is not a new problem..

The issues with this crack.. since the relief cutout is already incorporated into the design build indicates that a weld has broken loose inside the wall frame structure..

Too many other fifth wheels out there to choose from...

Here is an idea of what is entailed in repairing that crack properly....
Im with Chuck, i wouldnt walk away i would run
Rich1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
Pdarlington

Yes, I have to agree. Will look elsewhere. Too bad really as it was a great trailer for us! Oh well, move on...
Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
ewbldavis

Smart move. If you loved the layout, simply look for that specific floorplan

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
Pdarlington

Found one in Alberta

Thank you all for your feedback, we were very concerned about the crack. So here is the story....we found one in Alberta. I told the seller About the one we seen in BC with the crack. She asked me to call her because they had the same issue. So short story, they had the same crack in the same place, and it was returned to keystone factory where they rebuilt the corner and fixed it like new. Anyway, she has the detailed paperwork outlining the extensive rebuild and it is as good as new. Keystone also threw in new tires and gave the trailer another full inspection and fixed a few minor things. I was so impressed with the seller’s honesty. My husband drove 9 hours to see this trailer. He is there now as we speak. He said the trailer is in immaculate condition (2018) However he is still spending hours going over it thoroughly. This trailer is the exact same as we looked at in BC, a year older, $10k cheaper and in pristine condition. I think we will be bring home our new to us 2018 Cougar 366RDS.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
Northofu1

That's fantastic. Looks like a gorgeous trailer. Glad to see you did your homework and it paid off. Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
Roscommon48

my two thoughts. the first is that the crack seems to be something that happens to many 5th wheels at that exact spot.

secondly, if it is a 2019 the dealer should have submitted a warranty claim.

good luck on the 2018. keep an eye on that area, i suspect it will again crack in the future at some point...not a worry however.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
Pdarlington

Oh the Saga continues

At the last minute when they were pulling in the awning, it would not go on all the way, and they noticed a bend in the arm....geez. So they are going to see if it is covered by warranty and get it fixed first. They think they only have to replace that bent piece. I am thinking the whole arm has to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB569BE5-4BFB-4741-9617-EB61A3858AED.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	28801  
Old 07-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdarlington View Post
At the last minute when they were pulling in the awning, it would not go on all the way, and they noticed a bend in the arm....geez. So they are going to see if it is covered by warranty and get it fixed first. They think they only have to replace that bent piece. I am thinking the whole arm has to be replaced.

Hopefully not all is lost. I've never had to replace one of those arms (dealer did) but I'm sure that strut is replaceable without replacing the awning arm it is attached to. You just have to remove some pins, spacers and push nuts. That same inner arm comes off the same way. Looks like that might be a Dometic awning. If so, they could probably tell you where you could find a replacement. Don't think it's going to be a big deal or show stopper for you.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

If the trailer is "what you want" and there are no other "glaring issues" the awning arm should not be a reason not to drag it home. At best, that's $300 in repair costs. With a "pristine trailer, in immaculate condition and $10,000 less than a comparable trailer with a potential frame crack, what's not to love about a "bent awning arm" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #15
Pdarlington

We reached a deal

Yes...finally reached a deal. We will have our new to us trailer on Thursday/Friday....we are very excited. Ty for all your feedback. I am sure we will be here frequently.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Congratulations! Enjoy!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yes...finally reached a deal. We will have our new to us trailer on Thursday/Friday....we are very excited. Ty for all your feedback. I am sure we will be here frequently.

Congratulations! I am sure you guys are really excited as you should be. Wishing you all the best and fun, wonderful travels. You can always drop in to "chew the fat".
Old 07-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #18
KeystoneKal

Assembly line

Quote:
Yes, I have to agree. Will look elsewhere. Too bad really as it was a great trailer for us! Oh well, move on...
It’s safe to say if you looked at rvtrader you when find several of the same trailer for sale. It’s amazing the dealership with its staff of techs has no idea what caused the problem or the cost to fix it.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #19
Roscommon48

walk away. or let them correct the issues and then give you a price.

you have a trailer with issues. oh yeah, run away now.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #20
Pdarlington

We are SO DISAPPOINTED! My husband was leaving tomorrow to pick up the trailer and the seller called and said he discovered cracks at the top of the cap in the front. Deal,is off����. I am so grateful though for the honesty of this seller. He is now working with Keystone again. Initially, they said his problem....now they are bending a bit......regardless, not our issue as we will be passing. I am so hesitant buying a rv....this is the 3rd trailer we looked at, ranging 2018 to new, that had issues!

Tags
rack, slide