Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 AM   #21
3wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I did research for almost 2 years attempting to decide on a generator for my Montana High Country Fifth Wheel (50 amp, 2 air conditioners, 15000 with heat pump and 13500 without heat pump), microwave, residential refrigerator, gas-electric water heater, and electric fireplace. Not to mention all the electronics (2 televisions, multiple lap top computers, I-pads, blow dryers, even electric tooth brushes).... yes ... lots of electricity.

After all the research, I finally went to one of my local RV dealerships that has done me very, very well in the past and I had a nice long talk with their parts and service people.

To make a long story short, Cummings came out with a new Generator-Inverter a short while ago and this model is taking the RV industry by storm. Why? Because they run so quiet, are portable enough they can be handled, have the 30 amp RV socket, USB ports, and 2 - 20 amp household plugs. They have a power output max of 37 amps. They are electric start, have a remote start, the battery is self charging, and it comes with a power charger for the battery when the generator is in storage and not being used for long periods of time. It's fuel injected, uses 87 octaine gas, and can be as high as 10% ethanol. It has read-outs for the power demand, timer for usage, volt output, and more. It's on 2 wheels for easy maneuverability and comes with it's own carrying handle. The only down side, it does weigh in at 97 pounds dry. Add oil and fuel (full) and it comes in around 115 pounds.

If two of them run in tandem, they can easily power a 50 amp RV.

We walked away with 2 of them.

I hooked one up to our camper by itself. It ran the 15000 air conditioner, microwave, water heater, refrigerator and both televisions (which is right at the edge of our 30 amp max for our camper. The single generator did just fine.

When I powered both together, I turned on the second air conditioner in addition to everything else, and just to see if I could max anything out, I flipped on the electric fireplace and ran everything for over and hour and sat there and monitored the out-put readings on both generators to see if anything ever maxed out, and it did not.

Cummings Onan P4500I Inverter Portable Generator, click here

Prices seem to be all over the charts on these, I suppose it depends on who is selling them and what they want for a price mark-up margin. Most are advertising around $1044. When my RV dealership finally got ours in (we had to wait, as they had none in stock), the price increased. With tax, the wire and plugs to run them for 50 amp ($78), and everything, we walked away with 2 of of them for $2400. ... Yes pricey, but .... (how bad do you want it, are you willing to pay?)... after 2 years of research, I realized, this was a good price.

I highly recommend these. And FYI, as stated above, if you want one generator to power a 50 amp camper, it will have to be a much bigger and heavier one.

That same generator is also offered under the Westinghouse brand. ( not sure who actually makes it.) Under the Westinghouse name, they also offer a duel fuel version which runs on gas as well as propane. I've been wanting one for a while but they're sold out all over the country.
2002 Goldwing trike
2012 EZ-GO 2Five
2014 Gem E4
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #22
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Another consideration, for a portable generator, is the fuel. Gasoline is dangerous to pack along. Many campground portables are available in "Dual Fuel."
I just bought one rated at 3500 watts on gasoline and 3150 watts propane.
Also, when connected to a #20 propane bottle, it will run more than twice as long as it will on a gasoline fill-up.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #23
notanlines

Try this site for a little consumption info. My opinion on the propane usage is just a little different. Look close at all the numbers and remember which fuel is easier to buy.
https://generatorpowersource.com/gen...l-consumption/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've ever run out of propane at a remote campground, you know how difficult it is to find propane in rural, remote areas. Even when you do find it, it's usually at a "Monday-Saturday/8AM-5PM type of business. The exception is "blue flame propane exchange stations" where you can buy 15 pounds in a 20 pound tank for 50% more than the cost of 20 pounds at a "regular propane distributor...

Gasoline, on the other hand, is readily available at every gas station, usually at several locations, even in "po-dunk, America". There are 24/7 locations with self serve capacity in almost every location where there are street lights....

There is quite a difference in availability between propane and regular gas. If you've ever needed propane and couldn't find any locally, or should I say, after the first time you need propane and have to drive past 10 or 15 gas stations to find a source, you'll appreciate having a gas generator.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #25
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I’ll just carry an empty gas can. All bases covered.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #26
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Another thing to keep in mind is how harmful it is to start a motor with limited wattage available. I’ve been both an electrician and A/C repairman for a whole career. Whenever a motor, whether compressor or fan, is struggling to start, you’re shortening its life. A generator too small or an extension cord too small or too long will kill an A/C.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #27
lfd311

Here is the link to the generator page. The fuel shutoff is shown on here. Also in the specs, it notes that a carburetor kit is needed for high altitude operation. So my guess, would be that it's not EFI. However, if someone could invent an EFI gen this small, it would be perfect.
https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...-generator.pdf
lfd311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #28
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
How do you know the Onan P4500i is fuel injected? I looked at the owner's manual for it (at least I think I've got the right one) and there is a section under maintenance titled "Draining the float bowl" on the carburetor.
The P4500i is carburated, there is a above 2000ft carb kit for operating more efficiently above 2000 ft.

Salesman probably misunderstood the i for the model to mean injected. It means inverter.

This model Onan P4500i is almost a direct clone, (case, plugs, controls and all for the Westinghouse igen4500.
Both if these are excellent generators and quiet. Heavy 100lbs. is the only drawback. But heavy means it’s not easily walking off.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator