Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
Ken / Claudia

adventures in RVing before home sale closes

Well this started about 3 years ago. We decided to fully retire? this year in the summer and move from Oregon to Idaho.
The wheels really finally set into motion in January when I lined up agents in both states to help getting that done.
The C-19 shut down happened right when I was getting the home prepared to sell. Agent told me not to wait as the market conditions could change. Before we put the home on the market we looked again for areas to move too.
House sold at full price on the 3rd day. We found a home and the offer was accepted the following day. Closing on the Oregon home was May 28th, closing on the ID home was set for June 1st. Great news, I made 6, 800 mile round trips to get RV, boat, spare vehicle and all the stuff we wanted to keep near new home.
2 weeks before closing on ID home I was told the closing date would be pushed back to 19th June. That's when the problems started.
Again the c-19 came into play, no state campgrounds where open, all private RV parks through out the area are full.
Since June 3rd we have been living in the TT, before the 19th we will be moving 4 times to different parks and camp sites. I asked my agent several times to rent the ID home from the seller and he has refused. I made it clear at any cost and conditions we would rent it. So here we sit and wait in a 24 ft TT with a 110 lb dog currently 1/2 mile from a beautiful empty home. It has been empty since Jan.
I count our blessings that we have a RV to live in at this time, but it's not like camping, it's more like passing time slowly. The C-19 besides shutting down many normal things in daily life it caused this type of paper work slow down and me around 1 thousand extra bucks in pad and storage fees this month.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
Canonman

So sorry for your predicament. I've sold/bought more than one home both with and without an agent involved. I often felt these folks were just getting in the way of the buyer and seller coming together and just making a common sense deal. I can honestly say if I were the seller of the home you are buying in ID. I would be happy to rent it to you until the paperwork finalized. A little extra jingle in my pocket is always a good thing Hopefully this situation will sort itself out soon.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it’s getting closer. Probably feels the days you sat in your patrol car watching the dash clock thinking your shift would never end. You are welcome to remain a certified member of the Keystone weight police as we have headquarters in each state.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Sorry to hear of the predicament Ken. The 19th will be here soon and you can then start getting the new place like you want it. I hear you on that feeling of "passing time" and I hate it.

I too think that realtor agents get as much in the way as they help. We've bought and sold several homes with and without realtors. The ones without them go so smoothly and quickly. When you use them I do believe they come up with a zillion things to prolong the sale. On the other hand, those houses that I had to leave and sell while gone would not have been sold without a realtor because I wasn't there....so, they have a place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
notanlines

Ken, any chance you are using the same realtor as the seller? Very bad news if you do. How did your realtor react to this baloney news? I would not be a happy camper and my realtor would get an ear-full from DW and I.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Seller has a different agent from another company.
We closed on June 30th, agent and loan officer got ear full of our stressed out
and costly wait. DW and I argued about backing out after the 19th date was reset and loosing the 3 grand earnest money. Then start over again on another house. In the end she really wanted this one and I left it up to her.
Living in the trailer for 27 days longer than the 1st closing date while waiting for the house loan to close has made us not want to use the trailer for any reason for awhile.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Ken,

We have a 6 week limit on our "continuous use policy" and that only applies if we are changing locations on a regular basis so we're only at the trailer for breakfast, some dinners and to sleep. In other words, when we've got an agenda that keeps us away from the trailer most of the day.

Living in our Cougar, in a campground or mobile home park, for any extended time (like more than two or maybe three weeks) would definitely be a "no go" for us. We just celebrated our 51st anniversary and doing what you're currently doing would probably jeopardize the 52nd....

Hang in there, hopefully things will go the right way from here on out.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ken,

We have a 6 week limit on our "continuous use policy" and that only applies if we are changing locations on a regular basis so we're only at the trailer for breakfast, some dinners and to sleep. In other words, when we've got an agenda that keeps us away from the trailer most of the day.

Living in our Cougar, in a campground or mobile home park, for any extended time (like more than two or maybe three weeks) would definitely be a "no go" for us. We just celebrated our 51st anniversary and doing what you're currently doing would probably jeopardize the 52nd....

Hang in there, hopefully things will go the right way from here on out.

Until my daughter moved to FL and we started spending the winters here (and now apparently the summer) I said exactly what you said above - but I would put a limit of 2 weeks on it. But here we are and we've worked out the perfect equitable solution (for us) for these long stays so for those thinking about extending those time frames here are a few thoughts;

She's right....she's always right. No, you don't have any right to the bathroom even if it has 2 sinks. Yes, you love cooking - no matter what it is she wants even if you hate it. YOUR job is to follow her guidance; go to the store (hour round trip) for whatever is needed, make return trips if the list provided is incomplete. YOU love to walk and pick up after the dog...night, day, in between. Sleeping in the bed is a "special" privilege; that sliver on the edge you are so graciously given can just as easily be taken away. Be seen and not heard - if noise from you is required you will be instructed to make it. Don't make assumptions or be proactive - wait for instructions. When a difference of opinion is encountered (if it were possible) go back to "she's right, she's always right" and things are quickly resolved.

So as you can see, with just a few minor adjustments staying in the enclosed confines of an RV can be accomplished without giving up much and you can....wait! SHE just opened the door and motioned me to go outside!! WooHoo! FREE TIME!!! I'm outta here till later (she will call me back inside in 5).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Danny I could sum up your post in 2 words, Yes dear.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

The wife and I could live indefinitely in our 27' Cougar 5ver because there is a door to shut off the bedroom from the main cabin. Not sure we would want to but if forced could I guess. I stayed in a 21' 2012 Sunnybrook Harmony when receiving some med treatments in Houston and the lack of counter space and storage were definitely annoying. The worst was when the missus came to stay for a long weekend and there was no separation for the bedroom area; just the curtain. I get up before 6AM and she... well later. There wasn't even really any room for our coffee pot. I would have gone nuts if she lived there full time so we got a Forest River fifth wheel when I got home (she hated it as well as it was a bitty toy hauler with no cupboard space or pantry to speak of).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent