Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2019, 05:02 AM   #1
skipbizzle

Question Living on an incline

Just curious if putting my 5er on an incline will be an issue? The lot that has been assigned to me has a 2 to 3 foot slope rear to front. Is this an issue for the front jacks or tires? Lastly is the front jacks on an angle an issue? Thanks for the help.
skipbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #2
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbizzle View Post
Just curious if putting my 5er on an incline will be an issue? The lot that has been assigned to me has a 2 to 3 foot slope rear to front. Is this an issue for the front jacks or tires? Lastly is the front jacks on an angle an issue? Thanks for the help.
I park our FW on our concrete driveway with a 5 degree incline. To do so I set up my rig so I had at least 8 inches of clearance between the bed rails and FW since over 4 inches of it is lost when I am making a tight turn backing onto the sloped driveway. Once in position on the driveway, I chock all four FW tires with large rubber chocks. I also chock the back of the rear FW tires with smaller rubber chocks. I then use wood blocks cut at 5 degrees under the landing gear so the pads have a level surface to rest on.

When unhooking, I let the TV & FW roll forward onto the four large rubber chocks. Then I kick in the two smaller chocks at the back of the tires so they are tight against the back tires. This then allows me to back up slightly to take the pressure off the king pin/hitch to allow release of the hitch. After these steps, the unhitch process is the same as if on level ground.

I manually drop the landing gear the full reach before using power. Raising the landing gear under power approximately 13 inches gets me level front to back without putting undo strain on the suspension. If your FW is longer, it may take more lift or you may not be able to get level since the suspension cannot pivot enough.

As an added precaution, I use a plastic coated cable that I wrap thru each pair of wheels and secure with a removable chain link.

Note that I use a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch that is an auto slide that may also be benefiting me when backing in with a tight turn.

Once in position, you may have to use an extra step platform depending on where your steps are positioned relative to the slope. We carry a platform with us just in case.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:33 AM   #3
Roscommon48

just block up the legs as necessary and there won't be a problem.

you may have issues with you using your stairs though.....
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would at least chock the wheels.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
skipbizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I park our FW on our concrete driveway with a 5 degree incline. To do so I set up my rig so I had at least 8 inches of clearance between the bed rails and FW since over 4 inches of it is lost when I am making a tight turn backing onto the sloped driveway. Once in position on the driveway, I chock all four FW tires with large rubber chocks. I also chock the back of the rear FW tires with smaller rubber chocks. I then use wood blocks cut at 5 degrees under the landing gear so the pads have a level surface to rest on.

When unhooking, I let the TV & FW roll forward onto the four large rubber chocks. Then I kick in the two smaller chocks at the back of the tires so they are tight against the back tires. This then allows me to back up slightly to take the pressure off the king pin/hitch to allow release of the hitch. After these steps, the unhitch process is the same as if on level ground.

I manually drop the landing gear the full reach before using power. Raising the landing gear under power approximately 13 inches gets me level front to back without putting undo strain on the suspension. If your FW is longer, it may take more lift or you may not be able to get level since the suspension cannot pivot enough.

As an added precaution, I use a plastic coated cable that I wrap thru each pair of wheels and secure with a removable chain link.

Note that I use a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch that is an auto slide that may also be benefiting me when backing in with a tight turn.

Once in position, you may have to use an extra step platform depending on where your steps are positioned relative to the slope. We carry a platform with us just in case.
wow thats alot of know how lol. I didn't even think about backing up and unhitching. Thanks for the advice
skipbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Not sure what type camper you have but those with an RV style refrigerator really appreciate being level as camping on a slope will ruin your refrigerator as I understand it. If you are at a campground, ask for a level spot would be the ideal situation otherwise take a lot of cribbing.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote