Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
tcreek

Solar Prep on 2015 Montana 3625RE

I have a 2015 Keystone Montana 3625RE and one of the "specs" is Solar Panel Prep.

What is this?

I have not seen any extra cabling or brackets, etc.
tcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Starmaster

Solar Prep on Keystones

We have a 2015 Montana 3160 that came with the "solar prep" package as well. The only thing that includes is a Furrion brand connector either in the convenience center or the battery area that is wired to the batteries through a 10 amp fuse. Furrion makes a 95watt RV kit that includes a portable (as in not made to be mounted) solar panel with a built in charge controller, list price is $500. This plugs directly into the connector to charge your battery.

You can get a solar panel and charge controller for less than half that amount on Amazon or e-bay.

The only problem with a "roll your own" is finding the plug for the Furrion connector. I sent an email to Furrion to ask where to buy the plug and MSRP, but have not received a response .

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
kenmoffat

Any idea where that fuse is located?
kenmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmaster View Post
We have a 2015 Montana 3160 that came with the "solar prep" package as well. The only thing that includes is a Furrion brand connector either in the convenience center or the battery area that is wired to the batteries through a 10 amp fuse. Furrion makes a 95watt RV kit that includes a portable (as in not made to be mounted) solar panel with a built in charge controller, list price is $500. This plugs directly into the connector to charge your battery.

You can get a solar panel and charge controller for less than half that amount on Amazon or e-bay.

The only problem with a "roll your own" is finding the plug for the Furrion connector. I sent an email to Furrion to ask where to buy the plug and MSRP, but have not received a response .

Dave
Have you tried a search for "Furrion to ____(whatever brand you have) solar plug"? Other option is to use a multimeter to get make your own plug with the appropriate male and female plugs for the two different brands.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmoffat View Post
Any idea where that fuse is located?
Typically they are located near the battery connection for the solar system. Usually that wire is not connected at the factory but is field installed when the solar system is installed.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
kenmoffat

This was a factory installed jack on the side, I believe it's type SAE, labeled Solar prep, and worked great until I tried it with my second panel hooked incorrectly. I'd like to find the fuse to see if that is the problem. Thank you.
kenmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote