Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Jimmymc1

AC issue

2015 Keystone 2770RB AC unit fan (and possibly compressor) cycling on and off when plugged into AC outlet from building. It will run about 30 seconds and then shut completely off. I noticed the power to the display on the built in radio goes off as well . They both stay off for about a minute and then both come on and the cycle repeats. Never does get very cool.

Any ideas?

thx,

Jimmy
Jimmymc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmymc1 View Post
2015 Keystone 2770RB AC unit fan (and possibly compressor) cycling on and off when plugged into AC outlet from building. It will run about 30 seconds and then shut completely off. I noticed the power to the display on the built in radio goes off as well . They both stay off for about a minute and then both come on and the cycle repeats. Never does get very cool.

Any ideas?

thx,

Jimmy

Welcome Jimmy, First, take a minute and go to your profile and then signature and add trailer year, make and model plus your tow vehicle as someone will benefit from knowing these things when you ask questions.

OK, as far as your A/C goes. You mentioned the power source you plugged into but not what that power source is. Is it 30A, 50A, 15A? Next step with this trailer is to purchase an electrical management system (EMS) before you burn up your VERY expensive electrical appliances. I use a Progressive EMS: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x - DO NOT get a surge protector as your issue isn't power surges most likely but a problem with the electrical supply.

Let us know what power outlet you are plugged into...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Any ideas?

thx,

Jimmy
The common element between the air conditioner and the radio is the 12v dc supply. The radio is only powered by 12v dc and the air conditioner thermostat and relay is 12v DC. So it sounds like that would be the issue. Check the battery voltage and that the battery disconnect if so equipped is in the on position.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If the 12VDC supply to the radio AND the thermostat is interrupted for about a minute, then returns, I'd suspect the "mini-breakers on the trailer tongue"... Chances are one is either defective, corroded or broken and is "opening, then after cooling down, closing to provide power again"...

I'd first check those breakers while the Air Conditioner is running and see if you hear a "click" followed by the A/C shutting down and in a minute, another "click" followed by the A/C powering up again....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Jimmymc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome Jimmy, First, take a minute and go to your profile and then signature and add trailer year, make and model plus your tow vehicle as someone will benefit from knowing these things when you ask questions.

OK, as far as your A/C goes. You mentioned the power source you plugged into but not what that power source is. Is it 30A, 50A, 15A? Next step with this trailer is to purchase an electrical management system (EMS) before you burn up your VERY expensive electrical appliances. I use a Progressive EMS: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x - DO NOT get a surge protector as your issue isn't power surges most likely but a problem with the electrical supply.

Let us know what power outlet you are plugged into...
30 amp service
Old 07-29-2020, 03:27 AM   #6
Jimmymc1

A service tech looked at it and said the inverter needs replacing. Does that sound right?
Old 07-29-2020, 04:03 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

You mean the converter.
An inverter takes 12v dc in and produces 120v ac out.
A converter takes 120v ac in and produces 12v ac output

I can't definitively say he's correct or incorrect as I'm not there and didn't see what he did to determine that. It's certainly possible and plausible.

Edit: Make sure you have that battery load tested!It would be a shame to pay a tech to replace the converter just to have a battery with shorted cell destroy it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Like Marshall I'm not there to say nay or yay about his diagnosis but;

I have some questions about it. Your symptoms seem to indicate that your converter is the only thing running the 12vdc system? If your batteries are bad/depleted they can make it appear the converter is having problems because they are draining the output of the converter.

Since the trailer is a 15 I figure you have a multi stage converter so probably didn't deplete the batteries but if they are OEM (5 years old) what has the maintenance schedule been? What shape are they in? While I know many don't agree with my regimen, I replace any battery at 3 years. Waste? Probably but I have zero patience for an unexpected battery failure.

The converter could be bad but if so I would be highly suspect of the batteries as well particularly since the symptoms seem to indicate you have no battery backup. Be sure and have those checked out before replacing that converter.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
travelin texans

I totally agree with the others, have the batteries checked. If they're original 5 year old batteries it time anyway.
Have you ever checked the water level in the batteries? Or any other maintenance?
Hopefully the tech said the "converter" was bad not "inverter", as said these are totally different appliances.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
Jimmymc1

On a different note. I was told this was a 2016 trailer but on the "sticker" in the top right corner the date says 8-14-2014.
That would make it a 2015. correct? When does the date change for each model year?
Old 07-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
On a different note. I was told this was a 2016 trailer but on the "sticker" in the top right corner the date says 8-14-2014.
That would make it a 2015. correct? When does the date change for each model year?

Seems model years change whenever they want it to. When I bought my new 14 in March by August they were telling me it was "obsolete". As far as built in August of 2014 I would have to say it's a 15. What does your title say?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #12
Jimmymc1

I am do not own the trailer. I am talking to a guy about buying it. I do have the VIN #. Is there a way to check from that?
Old 07-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #13
LHaven

Just disconnect the cables at one side of the battery, so that the converter isn't trying to charge it. If your AC and radio start working right, have the battery load tested and (probably) replaced.