Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #41
chunker

To help keep the black and grey tanks less stinky we have used a good dish washer liquid such as Cascade etc. Not the packets but the liquid which we dilute in a bowl first and add to the tanks. In addition to degreasers it has wetting agents to help in the rinsing. Sort of accidentally discovered it when partial dry camping at the Winnebago factory and we had to conserve waste tank space. We washed dishes in a tub and poured into the toilet. When I did get to a dump station it seemed to help the flushing. Just our experiences.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #42
owenandkathy

Black tank flush does not work

I have a 2017 Keystone Hideout. Hooked up hose to the trailer and open Black tank and no water flowed into the black tank. The valve under the sink shows direction of water, but do not know what direction it should go. Can anyone help? Not sure if the picture i attached worked right.

Thanks,

Owen Thomas
Berthoud, COClick image for larger version

Name:	20200714_133051.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	28673
owenandkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #43
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenandkathy View Post
I have a 2017 Keystone Hideout. Hooked up hose to the trailer and open Black tank and no water flowed into the black tank. The valve under the sink shows direction of water, but do not know what direction it should go. Can anyone help? Not sure if the picture i attached worked right.

Thanks,

Owen Thomas
Berthoud, COAttachment 28673
Owen, first, welcome to the forum. Second, your back flow preventer is probably installed backward. Third, do a search above and dozens of posts will come up. And last but not least, start a new post with " Black tank flush does not work" as the header and answers will be forthcoming. I promise!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #44
travelin texans

Quote:

Thanks,

Owen Thomas
Berthoud, COAttachment 28673
If you're not getting flow with this way turn it around (takes about 2 minutes), then if no flow something else is the issue.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #45
owenandkathy

Thanks for the messages. I did turn the valve around, and still no water into the tank. There was water to the valve both ways i installed. Can the valve be bad? Is there a way to know that, other then replace? Notanlines, i did try to start a new thread, but could not figure out how to do it. When i am in Keystone Tech Forums, i do not see anyway to start a new thread.
owenandkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #46
notanlines

Above and on the left click on "Forum." Scroll down and click on "Repairs and Maintenance." Click on "New post." You'll be home free.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the messages. I did turn the valve around, and still no water into the tank. There was water to the valve both ways i installed. Can the valve be bad? Is there a way to know that, other then replace? Notanlines, i did try to start a new thread, but could not figure out how to do it. When i am in Keystone Tech Forums, i do not see anyway to start a new thread.
There is no way to "start a new thread" in the Keystone Tech Forums category. You can't start a thread in any of the "blue banner sub group headers". That is a "thread category header" and not a place where any threads are started. Choose any of the sub sections under that heading and you'll see the "NEW THREAD" button on the top left corner, just above the first thread title.

If you do start a new thread, please look over ALL the forum sections and start the thread in the section most applicable to the topic. It does little good for anyone if you start a thread about your black tank in the TOWING section (as an example).... Do a little "thinking about where it would fit best" and you'll likely get much better results in responses....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #48
HRoper

Black tank odour

When I dump my black tank, then flush, the trailer fills with the most noxious sewer odour. I’ve had many RVs and I never had this problem. I do use chemicals and add water but this almost unbearable. Could it be a plugged vent? Any help please.
HRoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #49
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoper View Post
When I dump my black tank, then flush, the trailer fills with the most noxious sewer odour. I’ve had many RVs and I never had this problem. I do use chemicals and add water but this almost unbearable. Could it be a plugged vent? Any help please.
I hear this a lot. I never get a whiff. I never use chemicals or anything, reason is the stuff isn't in there long enough for most things to work. I even have the bathroom MaxxFan running in exhaust mode and when I flush still no smell. I do know my vent is open as I had a reason to check it with a hose from the roof.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #50
HRoper

It’s the worst when tank is first emptied but gets progressively better. Haven’t had this trailer very long, don’t know what the previous owners used.
British Columbia, Canada
Old 07-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #51
HRoper

What is the best way to check for a blocked vent?
Old 07-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

If the vent was blocked it wouldn't drain properly. It would "chug-a-lug" as air would have to enter thru the drain hose. Think of taking a gallon jug and turning it upside down to pour out the contents.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #53
sonofcy

Quote:
What is the best way to check for a blocked vent?
Go up on the roof with a water hose. Turn it on slow and let it run while someone down below watches the clear elbow to see if water is coming out. If you don't have a clear elbow just wait a few minutes and if the water doesn't come up the vent it is open. BTW, the ONLY place I get a smell is on the roof from the vents!
Old 07-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #54
HRoper

So... if the vent is ok, any other suggestions as to what would create such a smell inside the RV?
British Columbia, Canada
Old 07-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #55
sonofcy

Quote:
So... if the vent is ok, any other suggestions as to what would create such a smell inside the RV?
If you do NOT have real P traps, then maybe the Hepvo valve needs replacement. Also, it doesn't hurt to put a trap in the sewer hose. I do that by letting the hose go to the ground right off the pipe, and then it goes up to the hose holder. This way there is always water in the hose so campground sewer gas cannot get back up the hose. Of course, black is closed, and grey may or may not be open when camping.

Tags
black tank, tank