Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Understood. I’m looking to possibly change roof units and by having a thermostat on the wall it makes the adjustment of the temps easier for the DW. We’ve gotten along without one for this long, we may just stick with the ceiling type controls.
Bill I think you may have less confusion/better answers if you start a new post and mention that you are looking to add a thermostat to a non-ducted a/c unit. From the comments I think some are thinking you want to change out an existing thermostat.

I think one challenge will be getting the wire for a t'stat over to the wall.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #22
Bill-2020

Any personal thoughts/experience on the Penguin II versus the Brisk II? I’m reading the Penguin may actually be somewhat louder inside, but what a/c unit isn’t (non-ducted). Any noise level that’s lower is a bonus for her.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Any personal thoughts/experience on the Penguin II versus the Brisk II? I’m reading the Penguin may actually be somewhat louder inside, but what a/c unit isn’t (non-ducted). Any noise level that’s lower is a bonus for her.
The design of the Penguin makes it inherently louder than the Brisk-aire. The reason is the size of the airbox. The Penguin, because it's a smaller unit, has a smaller airbox. That causes the input (warm) air and the discharge (cooled) air to flow through the airbox at a faster velocity. Fast rushing air is "louder" than "just rushing air" which is louder than "slow air"... Think of a 20" box fan. Turn it on low, it moves a little air and is relatively quiet. Turn it on high and it moves more air. Stand in front of it and you can hear the air and the fan blades "rushing through the air". The faster the blades and the air move, the louder the fan "discharged air". It's the same with the Penguin vs the Brisk-Aire. This is a case where, even in an RV where size is a factor, bigger is better....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #24
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Bill I think you may have less confusion/better answers if you start a new post and mention that you are looking to add a thermostat to a non-ducted a/c unit. From the comments I think some are thinking you want to change out an existing thermostat.

I think one challenge will be getting the wire for a t'stat over to the wall.
I’ve looked at the thermostat wire scenario and believe it’s doable over into a into a cabinet area. You’re correct, a new post would put more eyes on the subject. I’m also considering a different roof unit and if that becomes the case (possible warranty issue at hand currently, waiting on answers), then a thermostat ~might~ be possible for us.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #25
Bill-2020

Thanks John, Danny and Marshal. Enjoy the knowledge you all have here. (The Penguin noise is understandable). We’ll stay the course with the Brisk.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I’ve looked at the thermostat wire scenario and believe it’s doable over into a into a cabinet area. You’re correct, a new post would put more eyes on the subject. I’m also considering a different roof unit and if that becomes the case (possible warranty issue at hand currently, waiting on answers), then a thermostat ~might~ be possible for us.
I can empathize with your wife. I've had 7 cervical spine surgeries myself. Not only is looking up problematic for me so is reaching overhead. Hope you find what you need to make the conversion or replacement.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks John, Danny and Marshal. Enjoy the knowledge you all have here. (The Penguin noise is understandable). We’ll stay the course with the Brisk.
If you are looking for "less" noise - whatever that is with an RV AC. The Brisk Air II is a bit more quiet. We had a 15k Brisk Air and had a Penguin II added before we took possession of the last trailer. The Brisk Air was ducted and the Penguin was not and in the bedroom The Penguin was louder due to a few factors so if going that route keep that in mind. For us the Penguin was fine because we like "noise" when sleeping; heck, at the s&b we have 3 (yes THREE) fans around our bed just humming away year round. For the past few decades I have been a very light sleeper and the slightest noise wakes me like a shot. 3 fans = lots of "white noise". Puppy and the alarm system can/will alert me if needed.

Good luck on getting the right unit w/thermostat. Keep in mind that the Dometic CT thermostat appears to still be problematic. It's already acting up in this trailer and folks with new units on another forum are reporting the same issues.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:20 PM   #28
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As John mentioned, steering clear may not be an option. When trying to get a thermostat that would actually work, and get rid of the Dometic CT unit, I was told by Dometic it was the only one that would work with my AC unit.... So, do your homework before just buying something in the hopes that it will work.
Danny,
I came across this while on the search for the micro-air a/c soft start unit earlier this morning. I thought of you and your problems with the Dometic thermostat. This may or may not be an option for you and others. (or maybe this is a BTDT moment?)

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...56#CompatChart
Old 07-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Danny,
I came across this while on the search for the micro-air a/c soft start unit earlier this morning. I thought of you and your problems with the Dometic thermostat. This may or may not be an option for you and others. (or maybe this is a BTDT moment?)

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...56#CompatChart

Thanks Bill! That thermostat looks very interesting. I'm thinking I'll give one a whirl when I get back to give it a try. When I've been able to put it through its paces I'll report back.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Bill! That thermostat looks very interesting. I'm thinking I'll give one a whirl when I get back to give it a try. When I've been able to put it through its paces I'll report back.

I am resurrecting this thread for an update. The Micro Air thermostat has received a lot of conversation since it came out earlier this year (best recollection). As one of thousands of folks that has had non stop trouble with the Dometic CT thermostat, replacing them over and over plus carrying a spare at all time.....all I can say is WOW!

I'm on several forums and these things have been installed by others and to the person of all I'm aware of they are very happy - count me in.

Got mine some time ago but haven't had my trailer (in for repairs). Got the trailer back several days ago and the first thing I did was install the Micro Air. Easy install...very easy. Works like a charm. What you don't realize is that it operates more intelligently that the Dometic thermostats ie; run full power, go to low fan, high fan, compressor on/off...shut off....turn on - a never ending cycle. The Micro Air? Turn it on and you just don't know the AC is running. Yes, you hear it in the background but all that kick in, kick down, turn off, turn on is gone - lovely!

Anyway, I bought one to replace the stat for the main unit but I will now replace the one for the back AC - far too many positives not to. Now....I've updated as I said I would.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #31
Bill-2020

Quote:
I am resurrecting this thread for an update. The Micro Air thermostat has received a lot of conversation since it came out earlier this year (best recollection). As one of thousands of folks that has had non stop trouble with the Dometic CT thermostat, replacing them over and over plus carrying a spare at all time.....all I can say is WOW!

I'm on several forums and these things have been installed by others and to the person of all I'm aware of they are very happy - count me in.

Got mine some time ago but haven't had my trailer (in for repairs). Got the trailer back several days ago and the first thing I did was install the Micro Air. Easy install...very easy. Works like a charm. What you don't realize is that it operates more intelligently that the Dometic thermostats; run full power, go to low fan, high fan, compressor on/off...shut off....turn on - a never ending cycle. The Micro Air? Turn it on and you just don't know the AC is running. Yes, you hear it in the background but all that kick in, kick down, turn off, turn on is gone - lovely!

Anyway, I bought one to replace the stat for the main unit but I will now replace the one for the back AC - far too many positives not to. Now....I've updated as I said I would.
Excellent news, Danny! Thanks for sharing and updating this. You would think that Dometic would take note and redesign. Meanwhile... Micro Air does its thing and sounds like it does it right. I know the Micro Air A/C Easy Start module I installed works very well.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Yes Bill, you would think that Dometic would take note and redesign...by now. This has been going on since they starting using the CT thermostat. Now, 7-8+ years later, the CT thermostat is still defective, and Dometic is more than aware of it. On this 2020 we started having the same old "what the heck is going on with the AC/furnace"? Sent Dometic an email about the new unit malfunctioning and the response? "We're aware of the issue and will be addressing it". ?? They did say they would send a new unit...as they do repeatedly to anyone with one. It's silly IMO.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #33
Summergirl

This has been on my radar when the trailer comes back.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #34
ChuckS

If it was mine with that capacitive touch thermostat it would be gone and replaced with the unit from Micro Air...

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...32199143555156

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #35
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If it was mine with that capacitive touch thermostat it would be gone and replaced with the unit from Micro Air...

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...32199143555156
That’s exactly what he already did.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 AM   #36
ChuckS

They make pretty good stuff

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
They make pretty good stuff

I have to agree. From everything I've read and those I've talked to that have installed one, they are all as pleased as I am. It's hard to believe it can change the operation so much - I just thought that's the way RV ACs operated (I've never owned a Coleman Mach). Apparently the thermostat can drive your stuff a little batty. I've not used it on the heat pump or furnace because it's been too warm but I expect to see the same benefits. Another positive IMO is the ability to set a temp and the stat will keep it there whether it has to heat or cool; wifi; bluetooth - pretty cool. Wish I had done it years ago.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #38
jsb5717

I've seen other threads where folks are having problems with the soft touch Dometic thermostats having a mind of their own.

I saw this in a different forum. Maybe it's a solution. So far reports are very good.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...32199143587924
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #39
Sarge2

My 2020 Passport 2600 came with the Dometic Capacitive touch control... until I was advised by this forum, on what the settings needed to be at (specifically blower on Auto) I had the AC blower and furnace blower both on at the same time...and didn't know why and General RV was of zero assistance..
My only complaint now is that it isn't even close to accurate temperature wise.. if you set this thing to 68 it will cook you out of the trailer...you dial it down to 62 and it shuts down but then it seems that you have to bump it back up to turn it back on to heat back up... so it's really an unreliable thermostat... Also isn't reliable on AC either.... doesn't hold a temp there either...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #40
Sarge2

Quote:
That’s exactly what he already did.
Is this Micro Aire unit a plug and play type of replacement for the Dometic one I have in my passport?
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic