Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2020, 05:14 AM   #121
NH_Bulldog

There is a difference between capacity and capability just like there is a difference between could you do something vs. should you do something.

I towed a 1972 Starcraft Starmaster 8 with a leased 1997 Chevy Cavalier Rally Sport with a 2.0 L engine and a 5 spd. manual transmission. Every manual and guide, plus common sense all said it shouldn’t be done, but I did it anyway. Me, wife, 3 kids and all our gear in the car. I justified it at the time by saying we never camped more than 2-3 hours from home,. But looking back it was just plain stupid and put my family and others at unnecessary risk. Could I do it? Absolutely! Should I do it? Absolutely not!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #122
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
So, being a newbie here, let me see if I have this right. I have a 2008 5.7 4x2 SR5, tow package on it, my Keystone Outback Ultra-Lite 260UML is 5912lbs dry, and I can tow 10,200lbs according to GVWR on door. Payload for truck is 1475lbs and ya'll are telling me I cannot tow this trailer?
To honest you can tow this, but you shouldn't/couldn't do it safely within the limits of THAT truck.
Your tongue weight will be 800+ lbs off of your 1475 lb payload minus the 125 lb hitch leaves 550lbs+/- for all the people, pets & anything you put in or on THAT truck that didn't come the factory. Now you've used up your available payload & are NO WHERE near the max tow weight & can never get to that number with that limited payload.
So maybe you're one of those that's my going & couple hundred miles away & won't ever load the RV full.........well that may be the case once or twice, but things tend to be loaded that never get unloaded. I gaurntee you'll be loaded to max weight in the RV sooner than later, which is why you figure your fondue weight from that number.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #123
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
So, being a newbie here, let me see if I have this right. I have a 2008 5.7 4x2 SR5, tow package on it, my Keystone Outback Ultra-Lite 260UML is 5912lbs dry, and I can tow 10,200lbs according to GVWR on door. Payload for truck is 1475lbs and ya'll are telling me I cannot tow this trailer?

Here is the Keystone link to that trailer:

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

Some things to note;

GVW of that trailer (dry + carrying capacity) is 7600lbs. You need to figure 13% of the gvw for tongue weight = 988 lbs. Allow 125lbs. for the hitch - 988 + 125 = 1113 lbs. 1475 payload less the 1113 lbs. for the tongue/hitch = 362 lbs. left for family, pets, tools, jacks, ice chest, bbq etc., etc. Odds are slim to none that you make those numbers with that truck.

Max tow numbers (10,200) are flights of fancy and meaningless in the actual towing world. They are numbers derived in some mythical environment that will never be seen in the real world....sort of like a Tundra pulling the space shuttle. As you can see you will max out the real life, important numbers before you can reach that "sales/selling point" number.

You may say that you will not ever load the trailer to gvw....GOOD! You shouldn't run the trailer at max weight nor the truck. Unfortunately, if you actually USE the trailer you will find that the contents grow....and grow. There is no need whatsoever to empty out the house every time you want to go somewhere so you won't. When gone you will find you need something, so it gets added...and so it goes.

Toyota makes a good vehicle - I own one...but not a truck. They are just now starting to figure out how to make a truck that fits the American market, especially towing. An '08 suspension won't be robust enough to carry a load at max day in and day out. They were designed to carry a light load and ride comfortably. The brakes were, and still are, woefully inadequate for towing a heavy trailer. Little brother had a Tundra and loved it; so much he bought a small 5th wheel and dropped on it. He said it did well and he "sure liked that truck". He made a couple of trips (overloaded) and he "still liked that truck", but, he bought a new (17 if I recall) Ford F250 King Ranch instead then upgraded the trailer. Met him in FL and asked how the compared and all he could do was grin ear to ear and said "boooy, I never knew towing could be so easy. That diesel pulls the trailer like it's a sack of straw and it handles so much better - I love it". But he also said about the Toyota "I sure liked that truck". After a terrible experience with that Rockwood he sold the trailer and truck. Went back and bought a new Tacoma and "he sure loves that truck".

All that to point out that IMO Toyota makes good vehicles, and a Tundra is a good vehicle....doing what it is meant to do; which isn't towing a heavy, long (almost 31') travel trailer. Current model year Tundras have improved a lot but they still have some weak points compared to the big 3. Overloading, or loading one to the max with that kind of sail behind you, is unsafe for the family and others on the road IMO.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #124
BeagleMan

It says Hitch 600lbs
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #125
BeagleMan

sourdough, I see what you are saying now. Thank you for that. Ive got to move this trailer to AL and we will live in it for a few months before getting our next mortgage. Then, it will be our toy. The only places we plan on going to around AL is the beach and Savannah, Ga. I know I probably shouldn't but I'm gonna hope and pray I will be okay. BUT, next year, I will get a stronger, bigger truck. Thanks for the info! ALL of you!
Old 07-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #126
wiredgeorge

Bet if you offered Danny $37 for that 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10 he would jump on it! Going through the tow vehicle terrors is a right of passage on this site. You will get actual and factual but often painful advice. Good luck and just drive safe!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #127
travelin texans

Quote:
It says Hitch 600lbs
That's RV "dry weight" that you never saw except on paper nor will you ever see again, that's what it was the day it rolled off the assembly line minus battery, propane, spare tire or tire carrier & not a drop out water. Once the dealer added the mandatory items mentioned & you added a package of paper plates that dry weight increased a couple hundred pounds & the hitch weight increased proportionately as well.
Max tow truck weights & dry RV weights should never be posted, all they do is create confusion & misinformation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #128
BeagleMan

Old 07-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #129
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That's RV "dry weight" that you never saw except on paper nor will you ever see again, that's what it was the day it rolled off the assembly line minus battery, propane, spare tire or tire carrier & not a drop out water. Once the dealer added the mandatory items mentioned & you added a package of paper plates that dry weight increased a couple hundred pounds & the hitch weight increased proportionately as well.
Max tow truck weights & dry RV weights should never be posted, all they do is create confusion & misinformation.

Good stuff to know. Thank you sir.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #130
Beast2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishMT View Post
Hi all, New member here. I asked this question on the Jayco forums a while back; I'm shopping a Jayco 242BHS, a Keystone Springdale 240BHS, and a Keystone Hideout 24BHSWE.

I have a 1/2 ton 2016 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L engine, 4.30 gearing.

The payload on my door jamb says 1300 pounds.

Looks like the hitch weight of the Springdale is 690 pounds, and the hideout 720 pounds. (The jayco was 685).

I have E-Rated 10 ply tires.

Do I have enough truck to safely carry my family and our in gear while towing these trailers? I am not worried about the power, more the payload, axle rating, and mostly the handling. I plan to get a good weight distribution hitch - was planning on a blue ox sway pro, and am not opposed to Timbrens or airbags.

I wouldn't have thought too much about this but I had a Hideout I was going to buy and the owner said I needed a 3/4 ton.

Anyways, I appreciate any advice. I just don't want to get into something I am not safe or comfortable driving.

Thanks!
NO - I am a previous tundra owner. I had a 2019 Toyota tundra SR5 roughly 1300 pounds of payload I never felt safe pulling a travel trailer 31 feet long weughubg 7500 pounds. All the extra gear tires weight distribution hitches etc. etc. it’s not gonna turn that tundra into a three-quarter ton truck.
Beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #131
WDPatterson

Just get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, you'll be glad you did.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle, tundra