Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2020, 02:42 AM   #1
RedRocket

Ram 2500 tow/ haul

Well I have a new 2020 Ram 2500. I've had it a month now. 2600 miles. I've towed my 2670bh, and a tractor.
I would first like to say I love this truck, night and day difference between my 2017 tradesman and this bighorn.
So my issue is with the shift points with tow/ haul mode on, and with it off. Between 3rd and 4th, and 4th and 5th. Seem very similar. So when it shifts into 4th to me it should have about 400 more rpm s.
Has anyone experienced this. Thanks.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
gearhead

Which engine, which transmission, and which rear end ratio?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
RedRocket

Yeah, sorry. You mean everyone can't read my mind. Jk.
I have a 6.7 CTD, 68rfe, with 3.73. Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	0705201412.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	28497
Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Sarge2

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and 8 speed... in tow haul it never gets out of 7th gear... shifts points all are higher...under normal accel it shifts at about 3500 rpm from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 with the trailer behind it... seems to work just fine but again, it's a 1500 big horn not a 2500.. most of the shifts after 3rd seem closer and don't have much difference in feel...RPM also is lower as I would expect with getting up in speed....forgot to add it's got the 3.91 rear gear...
Not sure if that helps or not
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and 8 speed... in tow haul it never gets out of 7th gear... shifts points all are higher...under normal accel it shifts at about 3500 rpm from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 with the trailer behind it... seems to work just fine but again, it's a 1500 big horn not a 2500.. most of the shifts after 3rd seem closer and don't have much difference in feel...RPM also is lower as I would expect with getting up in speed....forgot to add it's got the 3.91 rear gear...
Not sure if that helps or not
Yeah, the shifts after 3rd do seem close.
What made me notice was when I was pulling my camper. It pulls fantastic down the highway and everything, but when I came to a stop then accelerated 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are good, then it shifts into 4th at around 1100 rpm., and lugs the engine.

My 17 never did this. I just wonder if it has something to do with the recall on the 68rfe. The recall had been done before I purchased the truck. A truck cannot be sold without recalls being completed. Thanks
Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Sarge2

I don't get any lugging in 4th or even 5th or 6th... shifts are lower than 1,2,3 at 3500.....about 2800 or so.... but the engine never lags... wonder if the Diesel engines are set up to drop that much rpm in 4th and above? Doesn't seem right to me that the engine would lag and drop that much rpm as I'm sure you are still into the throttle as much or nearly as much as when you started off to get up to speed...
Wonder if the ECU is flashed correctly or if there is a TSB covering your type of complaint... I think I'd go on line or check with a good Chrysler tech to see if he thinks that's correct or knows of any TSB's covering it...JMHO... may be comparing apples and oranges with Gas and Diesel ECU settings...
Old 07-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
tech740

Quote:
I don't get any lugging in 4th or even 5th or 6th... shifts are lower than 1,2,3 at 3500.....about 2800 or so.... but the engine never lags... wonder if the Diesel engines are set up to drop that much rpm in 4th and above? Doesn't seem right to me that the engine would lag and drop that much rpm as I'm sure you are still into the throttle as much or nearly as much as when you started off to get up to speed...
Wonder if the ECU is flashed correctly or if there is a TSB covering your type of complaint... I think I'd go on line or check with a good Chrysler tech to see if he thinks that's correct or knows of any TSB's covering it...JMHO... may be comparing apples and oranges with Gas and Diesel ECU settings...
Your 1,2,3 are 3500? That seems high. I have the 3500 HO Aisin so it’s a different trans but shift by 2700-2800 unless I am on the floor for some reason.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
RedRocket

I got my camper out yesterday. I needed to check my wdh setup, and actually measure it compared to the setup on the other truck.
So I did a few start and stops. So if I'm about half throttle like getting on the highway, with tow/haul on, the truck runs perfect. Shifts great, gets to around 2000rpm then shifts into 4th at 1400. Which is great.
If the speed limit is 55 and I'm only giving it a little throttle, that is when it shifts to soon and into 4th at about 1100rpm.
This is still a great truck just a little different than my 17. I've only towed a few times in this truck. Same transmission so I wasn't expecting to be any different.
Attachment 28525Attachment 28526
Old 07-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Your 1,2,3 are 3500? That seems high. I have the 3500 HO Aisin so it’s a different trans but shift by 2700-2800 unless I am on the floor for some reason.
Never on the floor but being an old school drag racer I do like to get up to speed quickly...lol... seriously it doesn't really "sound" as high as the tach is indicating but my old Ford had a custom exhaust and I kind of like the old "hot rod" exhaust.you know, flow master true duals... The new truck is way too quiet..

I supposed if I was lighter with the throttle I could get it to shift lower but it seemed about right where it was to accelerate up to speed and wasn't to the floor....just a nice steady acceleration up to 55....and remember this is a 5.7 gas engine, not a Diesel...
Old 07-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
tech740

Quote:
Never on the floor but being an old school drag racer I do like to get up to speed quickly...lol... seriously it doesn't really "sound" as high as the tach is indicating but my old Ford had a custom exhaust and I kind of like the old "hot rod" exhaust.you know, flow master true duals... The new truck is way too quiet..

I supposed if I was lighter with the throttle I could get it to shift lower but it seemed about right where it was to accelerate up to speed and wasn't to the floor....just a nice steady acceleration up to 55....and remember this is a 5.7 gas engine, not a Diesel...

Lol sorry I was reading from my phone and posts from here and Cummins forum both show up. Thought it was in the other one. Disregard what I said

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
Sarge2

No worries.... all good here...
Old 07-15-2020, 03:19 AM   #12
Frank G

2016 Laramie 2500 CTD 68rfe Stock

Remember the 68rfe is a teachable/learning transmission and will change shift points after time depending on load and driving conditions. I have never had issues with mine and the longer I own and drive it the smoother it gets. I have read about lock-up and flair issues, but mostly from higher HP tunes.

My question to RedRocket, does the RPM/Shift point very with accelerator position? If you are under light acceleration or back off the accelerator then a shift and drop to 1100rpm's would be acceptable. On the on ramp accelerating to 70MPH under moderate to heavy acceleration this drop might be of concern.

4th gear is 1:1 and 5th and 6th are overdrive gears, Personally when pulling more than 5K I will lock out 6th.

Now at 69K and I am thinking about a fluid and filter change.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #13
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Well I have a new 2020 Ram 2500. I've had it a month now. 2600 miles. I've towed my 2670bh, and a tractor.
I would first like to say I love this truck, night and day difference between my 2017 tradesman and this bighorn.
So my issue is with the shift points with tow/ haul mode on, and with it off. Between 3rd and 4th, and 4th and 5th. Seem very similar. So when it shifts into 4th to me it should have about 400 more rpm s.
Has anyone experienced this. Thanks.
Well my truck is somewhat different and similar. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin tranny. Between 5th and 6th in tow mode there is about a 200 RPM difference. For example at 68MPH in sixth the RPM is about 1800. So, between 6th and 4th I see about 400 RPM difference. I just go with what is needed to climb the grade and keep the RPM under control and not “lug” the engine.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #14
Harried Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post

Remember the 68rfe is a teachable/learning transmission and will change shift points after time depending on load and driving conditions. I have never had issues with mine and the longer I own and drive it the smoother it gets. I have read about lock-up and flair issues, but mostly from higher HP tunes.

My question to RedRocket, does the RPM/Shift point very with accelerator position? If you are under light acceleration or back off the accelerator then a shift and drop to 1100rpm's would be acceptable. On the on ramp accelerating to 70MPH under moderate to heavy acceleration this drop might be of concern.

4th gear is 1:1 and 5th and 6th are overdrive gears, Personally when pulling more than 5K I will lock out 6th.

Frank, I'm driving an 08 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 SRW with the 6.7 L Cummins. My odometer is right about 72,000 so changing the fluids and filter is about right for you. I have the old, pre-DEF, system so I also had to have a cleaning on the EGR/Turbo system to clean all the oil gunk which was designed to go into the Turbo. It's been bypassed into a separate filter, so not as much of an issue for me, but you might want to ensure the CCV filter is also changed, if its full of oil.

I'll be looking at a new 3500 in the near future since I'm at or over my GVWR hauling my Lance 915 truck camper.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:38 PM   #15
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harried Harry View Post
Frank, I'm driving an 08 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 SRW with the 6.7 L Cummins. My odometer is right about 72,000 so changing the fluids and filter is about right for you. I have the old, pre-DEF, system so I also had to have a cleaning on the EGR/Turbo system to clean all the oil gunk which was designed to go into the Turbo. It's been bypassed into a separate filter, so not as much of an issue for me, but you might want to ensure the CCV filter is also changed, if its full of oil.

I'll be looking at a new 3500 in the near future since I'm at or over my GVWR hauling my Lance 915 truck camper.
In the last month we changed out the CCV filter along with the differential and transfer case fluids, went with Amsoil products. In the "16" manual they no longer ask for the EGR cooler cleaning, just the CCV filter at 67500 miles. I'm good with that as long as everything keeps on working.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #16
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post

Yes, Frank G it does very with throttle position. I went camping last weekend, and had the camper in tow. I paid close attention to the throttle. Its fairly touchy, just a little more on the gas and it holds 3rd a touch longer, and seems to do alot better. Imo

The truck accelerates rather quickly going 0 to 50. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #17
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
Well my truck is somewhat different and similar. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin tranny. Between 5th and 6th in tow mode there is about a 200 RPM difference. For example at 68MPH in sixth the RPM is about 1800. So, between 6th and 4th I see about 400 RPM difference. I just go with what is needed to climb the grade and keep the RPM under control and not “lug” the engine.
Thats true, I've found the power band is right in the 1800 area. If I'm running 65 yes its closer to 1500 rpm or so. And if I can run 68 to 70 that's right where she likes to be.

Sometimes that is faster than I want to run with my camper so I'll lock 6th out.

I love the power it makes at just 1800 rpms, its just impressive.Click image for larger version

Name:	0710202054.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	28819

Tags
tow