Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
Bob R

SLC construction

I got a report of terrible roads and construction almost the entire length of I15 through SLC. Any body been through there recently? Any decent ways to get around SLC towing a 39ft toyhauler? I will be going N to S. TIA

bob
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Bob R

Well the bright side is I dont need to worry about it for about a week. The bad news is I am cooling my heels in La Grande OR waiting for a high pressure fuel pump and a few other incidentals. At least the park is nice. The people are very nice and accommodating.

Bob
Old 07-14-2020, 05:34 AM   #3
BAPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
I got a report of terrible roads and construction almost the entire length of I15 through SLC. Any body been through there recently? Any decent ways to get around SLC towing a 39ft toyhauler? I will be going N to S. TIA

bob
Bob, It is something between annoying to bad in some spots but only for about 15 minutes at a time. I have to pull mine every few weeks thru the work zones here. I take my time and stay about 5 mph under the work zone speed limit, pick one lane in from the right barrier and stay there. (the barriers are often right on the white line) Work zone lanes are not much wider than your trailer. (My guess is they not much over 10 feet)
The "lane shifts" often happen really fast and if I am traveling even at the speed limit its tough to stay in my lane. Traffic is a lot lighter than normal.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
GaryUT

Quote:

bob

If you are coming in from the north on I84 you will hit construction between the state line and Snowville and again near Tremonton. There is more construction between Ogden and Layton. And again in the Lehi to Provo stretch.

The good news is there is no construction in SLC.

Winter is over construction season is here.

https://www.udottraffic.utah.gov/

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
Bob R

Is 215 a decent alternative to I 15 through there?

bob
Old 07-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
GaryUT

Quote:
Is 215 a decent alternative to I 15 through there?

bob

I215 will get you around SLC, but there is no construction on the freeway in Salt Lake.

We towed our trailer through the construction on the 5th, and it wasn't bad. Just try to avoid rush hour and you will be fine.

When we were in Idaho last year there was a lot of construction on I84 also.

Its the season, no way to avoid it.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Snoking

I try to go through on Sunday mornings. Construction in that area has been going on for the last few years. Did that route the last three falls. We stay at Golden Spike RV, in Brigham City to be staged for a Sunday morning trip South on I-15.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
Bob R

SLC has the worst roads I have been on in years . Construction to the north and south on I15. Crap road in between. I was never so happy to see Spanish Fork and the end of that stretch of road in my life. I went through about 930am so no back ups but still moderate traffic. Like was suggested i stayed one lane in from the right and it worked out ok. Some more construction with reduced lanes climbing the hills south of SLC on I15. Now sitting in Beaver for a final push into Mesquite tomorrow morning before the heat sits in.

bob
Old 08-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
BAPotter

Quote:
SLC has the worst roads I have been on in years . Construction to the north and south on I15. Crap road in between. I was never so happy to see Spanish Fork and the end of that stretch of road in my life. I went through about 930am so no back ups but still moderate traffic. Like was suggested i stayed one lane in from the right and it worked out ok. Some more construction with reduced lanes climbing the hills south of SLC on I15. Now sitting in Beaver for a final push into Mesquite tomorrow morning before the heat sits in.

bob
Be prepared for more stress thru Virgin River Gap south of St. George. Leave extra time and drive safe.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
Canonman

Never heard Beaver, UT mentioned on the forum before. My home town Might be woth spending an extra day there and explore the canyon. Several really beautiful lakes and it will be nice and cool. Stop at the creamery and get some cheese and of course a double ice-cream cone. You'll need it. Mesquite will be driving into the "Hubbs-of-Hell"
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #11
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAPotter View Post
Be prepared for more stress thru Virgin River Gap south of St. George. Leave extra time and drive safe.
I have driven it multiple times in several different types of cars, it is always sporty. 😉

This was the fist time towing a 40 footer through there though, gives sporty a new definition.

It took about 15 minutes or so after we were through it to get my wife to release the grab handle, even longer to get the seat cushion out of her nether regions!

Yep, sporty!

😄

bob