Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2020, 02:24 AM   #1
Racer

Roll Top Desk in RV

Wife and I are looking at taking 1 of 2 sofas out of RV and replace with a roll top desk that is collecting dust in my shop. It has the 4 legs not the cabinet/drawer type for legs so I am wondering how to keep this desk secured without falling all over the place while traveling. At first I thought maybe some eye hooks and tie down straps but looking at other ways of securing it. Any suggestions? Thanks
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the floor is carpet you could use small L brackets. If it’s on a slide be careful how long the screw is going into the floor. Your other option may be to secure small D rings to the floor and use straps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:02 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

The mental image I'm conjuring is a roll top secretary desk. From what I've seen they are mostly a decorative piece. It would obviously be very top heavy on it's own before you put anything in it. I don't think it would fair well bouncing down the highway without some upper support to the walls. So don't expect it to last long and be careful of what's nearby so when the "earthquake" shakes it down it doesn't destroy a TV or built in cabinets.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

OP is the desk something like this;

https://www.wayfair.com/Charlton-Hom...SABEgKmQPD_BwE

If so, I think I'd be very reluctant to place something like that in an RV simply due to the physics of the way it's going to act inside the trailer. The possibility of it taking off, no matter how it is secured, and taking out a wall, window, cabinets or other items is high.

From what I've ascertained over the years is that although RV furniture is made cheaply, it is designed specifically for an RV and that environment. I know you can use S&B couches, chairs, tables etc. in selected environments but in a quick scan of my memory banks (faulty as they are) I don't recall seeing items built like that free standing in an RV - even with straps/hooks etc.

Even if you strap it down I can't begin to count the number of table legs, chair legs that have broken, come apart, fell apart of ours and others that I've had to repair. Keep that in mind.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
Racer

sourdough--yes it is similar to that desk. After reading the comments I think I better find a different desk, maybe more solid with dresses in it to hold more stuff. Thanks all for the input.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote