Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Tony E

Does a "solar ready" RV already have a solar charge controller installed?

Hello everyone. I have a 2018 passport 239 ML that is "solar ready." I saw on the videos that you can just plug in a solar panel and it will work. I bought a new solar panel but the plug on the RV will not work for connecting my solar panel as it has MC4 connectors on it. I crawled underneath and can see where the wires go from the existing plug to plug in a solar panel but ideally I would like to install MC4 connectors on the same wires that are underneath the trailer. My question is: A solar panel has to have a charge controller hooked up to it. Is there one already installed in the RV as it is suppose to be solar ready or do I have to install a charge controller also? Thanks for your help
Tony E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The plug on the side is directly wired to the batteries. It should have a label that says 10W Max. Most portable (suitcase) solar panels have a built in controller. There are adapters depending on which brand of panel and what brand of plug. Make sure to check polarity.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
Tony E

Thanks Chuckster. I am attempting to attach a 310 watt solar panel. I had a controller on it already with clips and I went straight to the battery but the other way looked simpler to just plug in the panel if there was an adequate charge controller on it. I guess I will just have to stay with my original system. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
meaz93*

My 2018 Outback has a "Solar Ready" plug outlet on the front side of the coach....but it doesn't come from the factory with a controller in the trailer. I have a Zamp 45w portable unit with a built in controller[emoji106]
It works great in the AZ summer keeping my rig battery charged when not in use.
Again make sure the wire coming from the plug area by the battery box is actually connected to the battery.
Attachment 28619Click image for larger version

Name:	20200403_134102.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	28620
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Tony E

Thanks Meaz , that helps and lets me know that I do need a charge controller.

Tags
led, solar