Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Cire8002

Outside LED Strip

Last night the front LED strip under the front awning started flickering. This morning when I came outside it was total off. Where should I start to look for the problem?
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
Cire8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My guess is the LED strip "electronics" got wet and shorted out. Many (maybe even most) LED strip lights used as OEM do not "meet the consumer expectations" when it comes to reliability.

You might look for a connection on one end of the strip and connect a known good 12 volt power source to that connection. If the LED strip works, your problem is in the wiring inside the trailer. If the LED strip doesn't work with power connected to the end of it, then the problem is inside the strip.

You might check your awning warranty and see if the light is considered a part of it and maybe still in warranty. If so, possibly your dealership can get you a replacement "free of charge". When you consider the expense to tow it back to the dealer, then tow it home after they "repair/replace" the LED strip, it may be cheaper in the long run, to just buy a quality replacement from Amazon or eBay and replace it yourself.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire8002 View Post
Last night the front LED strip under the front awning started flickering. This morning when I came outside it was total off. Where should I start to look for the problem?
Might as well but 2 replacements, those are not known for long life & odds are you will be replacing them again, & again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Cire8002

It's 6 months old with a 3 year warranty. The LED is part of the awning. I spoke to the HW and was told I could bring it in to get it diagnosed (in a voicemail). Calling back today to see what the service turn around time is because I have a couple other things that could be fixed as well but I live in the RV full time.
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
Cire8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can extend the awning and take a picture of the tag, it will tell the the specs of the awning. Most often the LEDs are in a plastic channel that is then inserted in the awning rail and requires replacement of the whole assembly. Sometimes the entire fabric has to be replaced. Pictures in an Email should be enough. Since the dealer is just going to forward pics or take their own and submit, you can saver the trouble of dragging it in. take

1) fully extend awning and look at the fabric near the front end of the tube, there should be a tag with the information about the awning. Take a pictue.

2) measure and take a pic of the LED strip from about 5 feet away, and another about 1 foot away.

3) picture of the switch turned ON.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:59 AM   #6
NagaHuiags
Gone Traveling

Hi! I can’t tell for sure without having a possibility to check, but I have a guess. I hope it is still helpful. My friend had the same problem two months ago, and the light strip wasn’t of the highest quality (cheap Chinese stuff). The worst part is that it was an expensive light strip, and he was just tricked
NagaHuiags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led