Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2023, 06:33 PM   #1
sonbar

2022 29rli hitch

2022 29rli
I have been carrying 2 electric bikes, 75lbs each and a swag bike rack 75lb to Canada and back. That is over 225 lbs on that hitch, direct weight thru glacier park.

I want to tow a motorcycle, trailer is 340lbs and Mc is 600 lbs thus giving a tongue weight of 15% = 141lbs. I have carried the bikes all the way to Canada and back without any problems. If the hitch is 300lb , there should be no problem. The dealer installed the trailer light connector for my trailer. I am not concerned about triple towing but I am concerned if the hitch is going to give me a problem.
sonbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:49 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Some things to think about; your trailer comes with a receiver rated at 300lbs. "storage capacity". My trailer has the same...have you actually looked at it? I have and your proposal wouldn't get past my first thought. What you've been doing for the past year does not assure things won't go south soon - I would never do it.

If you wanted to pursue this I would do nothing less than have the entire rear, little frame section with the receiver, completely gusseted and rebuilt. These little things were meant for short trips for RV owners not cross country hauling like a truck.

How do you intend to monitor that load in the back? Camera? Folks pulling up beside you to tell you it's detached?

Talked to a fella with a company that builds these things...he has large reservations about folks abusing these hitches. To each his own.

Edit: What are you using as a tow vehicle? That makes a LOT of difference in the amount of shaking/vibration transferred to that receiver/hitch shank.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
sonbar

I just cannot get an answer from keystone except yes, it is 300lb hitch. Our camera monitors the back, which concerns me as well. I am using a f350 6.7 for tow and it has no problem at all now, mpg is at 13.9 average with no stall. I am worried about the vibration on the hitch but this trailer has independent suspension 100%.
I am going to find someone to reinforce the rear, just not easy to find someone.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:43 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Some trailers have an accessory receiver; rated at 300 lbs.no light wiring, no safety chain hooks and no tow rating. Others have a towing receiver; labeled as such with a 5,000 lb. tow rating and prewired with a flat-four wiring harness.

If your trailer was not set up to tow from the factory, that means it wasn’t designed for it and I personally wouldn’t do it. Can you do it? Sure you can, and maybe it would be fine. Should you do it? Probably not, but ultimately it depends on your appetite to absorb any potential structural warranty claim by making unauthorized modifications to the frame.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:29 PM   #5
sonbar

From keystone support

As long as the tow weight for the motorcycle is within the 300lbs carrying weight, then you will be fine!

---
So trailer is 340 lbs and Mc is 600 lbs thus 15% 141lbs will be tongue weight.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:05 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you read the Keystone Owner's Manual ???

Here's what it says on page 31 in the 2022 OM:

A "bit of explanation, Keystone installs two different types of receivers on trailers. One, WITHOUT attachments for safety chains and WITHOUT a 4 pin harness, are intended to support "cargo carriers only".

Hitches intended for towing a separate trailer will have attachment tabs for the safety chains and will come equipped from the factory with a 4 pin wiring harness for the second trailer. If these are not present, then I'd suspect the receiver is intended for a cargo carrier only.

Here's what Keystone says:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEYSTONE HITCH EXPLANATION.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	44060  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:42 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonbar View Post
As long as the tow weight for the motorcycle is within the 300lbs carrying weight, then you will be fine!

---
So trailer is 340 lbs and Mc is 600 lbs thus 15% 141lbs will be tongue weight.

This response probably came from a rep that read a blurb in some company publication and sent it to you while she has no clue. Ask her for a signed affidavit from a company official, as I just had to do for a different RV application, that says they would be responsible for any/all failures of that hitch....
Old 05-31-2023, 12:59 PM   #8
sonbar

Keystone response

Good Morning,

Thank you for reaching out to Keystone RV Customer Service regarding our Cougar. Below is direction taken directly from the owner’s manual. I hope this is helpful.

“If your RV (applies to limited fifth wheel models only) is equipped with a factory installed hitch receiver, you have the ability to tow an additional trailer behind your RV. The hitch receiver may be used as a weight carrying hitch to tow a trailer. Do not use a bar longer than 10 inches (254 mm). The maximum length of the draw bar is from the center of the fastening pin to the center of the ball. The maximum trailer tow rating of the fifth wheel hitch is 3,000 Lbs. (1361 kg.) with a maximum tongue weight of 300 Lbs. (136 kg.). The receiver may also be used for attaching a cargo basket/carrier for other items. Ensure the cargo carrier is properly attached to the hitch receiver and all cargo is properly secured in place. The cargo weight carrying capacity includes the weight of the cargo carrier. The maximum total weight when used to carry cargo is 300 Lbs. (136 kg.).”

Have a good day!
Old 05-31-2023, 01:04 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2023, 01:51 PM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Take it with a grain of salt, what you posted contradicts their own literature. As Sourdough said, an uninformed customer service rep reading the manual. Certainly unqualified to provide sound advice. I would try to get a response from Lippert since they made the frame and know better than anyone.

Keystone shows 2” Accessory hitch and 2” Towing/Accessory hitch with 3,000 lb. tow rating on various models. Your 2022 29RLI only says 2” Accessory hitch, which indicates it is not rated to tow and has a total combined accessory rating of 300 lbs. just like it says on the sticker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	44082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	44083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	44084  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:27 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Take it with a grain of salt, what you posted contradicts their own literature. As Sourdough said, an uninformed customer service rep reading the manual. Certainly unqualified to provide sound advice. I would try to get a response from Lippert since they made the frame and know better than anyone.

Keystone shows 2” Accessory hitch and 2” Towing/Accessory hitch with 3,000 lb. tow rating on various models. Your 2022 29RLI only says 2” Accessory hitch, which indicates it is not rated to tow and has a total combined accessory rating of 300 lbs. just like it says on the sticker
Additionally, the OP's "clue" in his first post: "The dealer installed the trailer light connector for my trailer." tells me that his hitch was not set up for towing from the factory, but "accessorized by the dealer" to assure the sale.....

Years ago, I had a Ford dealer in Denver attempt the same with me. I wanted a Gran Torino with a towing package. He told me they could put a hitch on any car on the lot. I asked about the rest of the towing package, you know, the transmission cooler, the HD rear axle, the larger radiator... His response: "You don't need all that stuff, it just adds weight to the car"....

Yeah, Right.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:57 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Additionally, the OP's "clue" in his first post: "The dealer installed the trailer light connector for my trailer." tells me that his hitch was not set up for towing from the factory, but "accessorized by the dealer" to assure the sale.....

Years ago, I had a Ford dealer in Denver attempt the same with me. I wanted a Gran Torino with a towing package. He told me they could put a hitch on any car on the lot. I asked about the rest of the towing package, you know, the transmission cooler, the HD rear axle, the larger radiator... His response: "You don't need all that stuff, it just adds weight to the car"....

Yeah, Right.....

This is what I've tried to point out as well as you guys. I've seen the hitches on the backs of RVs that are for towing and they all have the eyes for chains. In this case that's obviously not what the OP has. IMO you don't do it but another consideration; when you put that trailer back there on a receiver tube does your state, the next state etc. require chains? A quick excerpt from TX law which is mirrored in most:

(a) A person may not operate a passenger car or light truck while towing a trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or another motor vehicle on a public highway unless safety chains of a type approved by the department are attached in a manner approved by the department from the trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or drawn motor vehicle to the towing vehicle.

This is a first step kind of criteria then we move to double/triple towing, who allows it, the specifics and HOW does that LEO that pulls you over interpret it all? Riding the edges, guessing and hoping for the best is not wise.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:54 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

. Seen this happen time and time again. What is "this"? It's asking the question repeatedly until you get the desired answer. Doctors see "this" often when a patient states that they have seen multiple doctors but none of them think there's a problem. The medical profession call that "doctor shopping".

. What we have seen on this forum are some folks determined to do something that folks with a combined experience of decades if not over a century, advise against. Some folks will turn to other sources to get the answer they WANT. All we can do at that point is wish them well and say a prayer for their safety.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch