Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
grey ghost

New Campgrounds

Hi All: Looking for new and interesting campground in the Southern Arizona or Southern California area that are safe right now due to all the illegals crossing the border. We wanted to travel to Rocky Point but that area crossing has been closed for now. Any suggestions? Thanks
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 07:34 AM   #2
CedarCreekWoody

The fear of illegals crossing the border is over-played. Don't let that fear keep you from exploring interesting campgrounds.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:08 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Some members may have some first hand knowledge of a location in S AZ (I'm thinking you mean near the border) that is "safe" (I don't know anything about S CA and the illegal situation. I personally would not try to go stay in those areas "for fun". These people are flooding into the country like water through a sieve. There may be "safe" places.....or maybe not. I will tell you this; it's not fun laying in a sleeping bag as 3 Mexicans on horseback cross the Rio Grande armed to the teeth, ride into the light of the campfire thinking we're all asleep and just stare at you like they're contemplating what to do with you (that .357 in the bag gave me all the confidence of a water pistol) - not fun at all (and that was over 40 years ago). That was the last canoe trip I took on the Rio Grande.... I'd stay north...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:18 AM   #4
fatcatzzz

Google Tucson, Yuma Az. crime problem; Endless reading.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
gearhead

Having lived and worked in Laredo Texas, I wouldn’t recommend it.
I couldn’t decide what was more threatening, living in Embassy Suites in Laredo, or working on a 105,000 acre ranch between Laredo and Catarina.
It was a bit edgy, and I miss that, and the sound of BP helicopters over head.
Despite company rules we all packed.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:04 AM   #6
fjr vfr

We stayed a few days at Sonoran Desert RV park in Gila Bend at the end of October and then a week at Sunset Palms RV park in Yuma beginning of November. We crossed into Los Algodones Mexico 3 times during the week for dental work.
During the time we never encountered any issues and never felt unsafe at any time. We also did a little exploring around the Colorado river in Yuma.
When we left that area we traveled over to Niland in So Cal and stayed a couple weeks at Fountain of Youth RV park. We will be back there in early January for a couple months. We are in the area every year and usually make at least one crossing into Mexico and we've never had an issue.
A few years earlier we crossed by Organ Pipe NM, where we stayed, and traveled to Rocky Point and camped there for a week. We have spent a lot of time in the area and up till now have not encountered any issues.
Watching the local news stations from Yuma and El Centro they give statistics regarding illegal crossing on a regular basis. Unlike some of the things you might read, only a small percent of the migrants are Mexican. A very large percent are coming from Venezuela, Cuba, Honduras, etc.
After relating my personal experiences, I am NOT saying we don't have a border crisis. But the problems we see in the news don't exist everywhere along the border. There are still many safe areas. I beleave you will not find any problems in Yuma. Yuma is full of snow birds and full timers. Most of the problems are at other border crossing. Yuma is not one of the hot spots you see in the news.
Safe Travels
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
We stayed a few days at Sonoran Desert RV park in Gila Bend at the end of October and then a week at Sunset Palms RV park in Yuma beginning of November. We crossed into Los Algodones Mexico 3 times during the week for dental work.
During the time we never encountered any issues and never felt unsafe at any time. We also did a little exploring around the Colorado river in Yuma.
When we left that area we traveled over to Niland in So Cal and stayed a couple weeks at Fountain of Youth RV park. We will be back there in early January for a couple months. We are in the area every year and usually make at least one crossing into Mexico and we've never had an issue.
A few years earlier we crossed by Organ Pipe NM, where we stayed, and traveled to Rocky Point and camped there for a week. We have spent a lot of time in the area and up till now have not encountered any issues.
Watching the local news stations from Yuma and El Centro they give statistics regarding illegal crossing on a regular basis. Unlike some of the things you might read, only a small percent of the migrants are Mexican. A very large percent are coming from Venezuela, Cuba, Honduras, etc.
After relating my personal experiences, I am NOT saying we don't have a border crisis. But the problems we see in the news don't exist everywhere along the border. There are still many safe areas. I beleave you will not find any problems in Yuma. Yuma is full of snow birds and full timers. Most of the problems are at other border crossing. Yuma is not one of the hot spots you see in the news.
Safe Travels
My experience in those areas have been the same. Use established campgrounds.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
Blackrock

The area around Safford and the Gila Valley is a good place to come. Lots of BLM boondocking plus Roper Lake State Park.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:18 AM   #9
Cruizer

Search on Facebook for the "Arizona Camping Family" group and post your question there. You will get a better response from the locals. You can also search past posts and images in the group for cool places to camp. Lastly, do a google map search for camping spots. You can see all the places to camp and even see pictures.
Cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
LHaven

Yuma is on my list of places I haven't yet been in Arizona... but neither DW nor I want to go there at this point in time, given that the Mayor is declaring states of emergency.

Tucson is reasonably safe, being a major city, but camping in cities isn't that attractive to us.

We did have some very enjoyable stays this year at Desert Oasis outside Bisbee (DW would have lost it attempting the approach to Queen Mine RV in town), and Queen Valley RV resort in QV (maybe not south enough for you). From Desert Oasis, it's a very short trip to the legal border crossing in Douglas, where we found it charming to watch all the schoolchildren walking back across the border after closing bell. There's also handy "international" shopping (the grandkid asked us to find him some novel Mexican candy brands). Bisbee itself is a hoot to visit -- it's so steep that they have a four-story high school with ground-level entrances on each floor.

There is also a charming park in Benson where we have stayed several times -- Butterfield RV Park and Observatory -- which is a rewarding experience for the stargazers among us.

I'd toot our own horn, but I'm pretty sure our Wickenburg location wouldn't be south enough for you. We're about 90 min. E of Quartzsite, a nice day trip if you want to visit the shows and fleas.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:03 PM   #11
Robear

I live in socal and Caliente Springs resort in Desert Hot Springs is really nice and safe. There’s a security gate and we’ve never had any issues there.
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:55 PM   #12
travelin texans

Have lived in a rv resort between Tucson & Phoenix for the last 7 years & have never had any concerns with illegals.
I'll have admit though we DO NOT watch any news networks, local or national, 90% of it's BS.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 04:29 PM   #13
notanlines

“ I'll have admit though we DO NOT watch any news networks, local or national, 90% of it's BS.”
We also watch NO national news and almost no local. Blood pressure is good!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:53 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
“ I'll have admit though we DO NOT watch any news networks, local or national, 90% of it's BS.”
We also watch NO national news and almost no local. Blood pressure is good!
LOL! With the way things have gone in the last several years news networks only purpose are to drive people into a corner. I disconnected every TV service of any kind in 2016. There is no "news" (thinking Walter Cronkite, Edward Murrow, Paul Harvey) these days it's only opinion and I have my own....don't need interference. And yes, my blood pressure these days is very good unlike past years. One needs to always be aware of what's going on but do that via facts/actions....not others opinions.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground