Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #1
grey ghost

Satellite TV question

I have a 2020 Montana 5th wheel and use my Dish Satellite Playmaker to connect to my living room tv. How do I get the bedroom tv to work off the Playmaker? Do I need additional equipment.

2nd question:

Can. I watch my living room tv while using my satellite dish and my wife watch the bedroom tv using over the air channels.

I just figured out how to switch from satellite to cable or over the air channels so. I'm not a real tech type person!!! Any assistance appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:05 PM   #2
TXiceman

Each TV will need a receiver and most likely a separate Playmaker.

There are some satellite antennas with two outputs for two receivers. However, the second receiver is the slave and has to watch shows on the same satellite as dictated by receiver number 1.

Ken
Old 09-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

What TXiceman said.

I must say, Our new Montana is the first RV with a user friendly entertainment center. First RV I did not need rewire the cable for a Dish Wally to work properly. Roof mount with pre-wired hookup is sweet.
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:45 PM   #4
bobbecky

The Winegard Trav'ler has three separate outlets. We use two of them and have two Wallys. We've been using Dish since January 2013 and have had excellent service. It's very rare that we have the dish blocked by anything, so almost always have good reception. It's also nice to just push a button to get the dish aimed for the three satellites.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #5
foldbak

My solution. Copy paste from the MOC site

Kicked DTV to the curb at home and had Dish installed. Painless.
Purchased King Tailgater Pro and tripod, two Dish Wallies and two 50' RG6 coax cables. Painless.

Procedure took roughly six hours. Waiting for tech support would have reduced an hour. Not having to troubleshoot and replace the basement factory coax cable would have reduced another hour. Thank god it was the basement cable that was bad. Disconnected the basement TV from the KeyTV mod and installed a plate below the KeyTV mod that runs directly to the basement TV. Slightly painful.

Results, King sat output 1 to KeyTV sat input, King sat output 2 to basement TV input. Both work perfectly! Even through the duplexers and 50' of coax! So I can still receive over the air TV. This is important if I'm in a location where a football game that I want to see is televised locally and not on Dish.
In the end as long as I choose a location that has line of site south I have satellite. I can use my 50 gig internet plan as secondary instead of primary.
Happy today. Leaving for the south Fork American River Friday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:09 AM   #6
RickV

We use Firesticks now but used to have Dish what I did was run an HDMI cable from the living room to the bedroom and used one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 I picked up a second Dish remote and used it for the bedroom. Did the same thing in my old 5ver.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 06:57 AM   #7
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The Winegard Trav'ler has three separate outlets. We use two of them and have two Wallys. We've been using Dish since January 2013 and have had excellent service. It's very rare that we have the dish blocked by anything, so almost always have good reception. It's also nice to just push a button to get the dish aimed for the three satellites.
Dish recently stopped using satellite 129, All channels have been moved to 110 & 119. After your Trav'ler finds satellites, there will not be an '*' to the left of 129 in the Trav'ler screen.

I think the 'booting' process now takes much longer because it finds 129 but doesn't get signal.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:57 PM   #8
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Dish recently stopped using satellite 129, All channels have been moved to 110 & 119. After your Trav'ler finds satellites, there will not be an '*' to the left of 129 in the Trav'ler screen.

I think the 'booting' process now takes much longer because it finds 129 but doesn't get signal.
I wasn't talking about the satellites, but the feeds from the Trav'ler dish on the roof. It has three separate coax terminals for three different TV's. It still shows the third satellite but doesn't do anything with it. I think I read the 129 was a weak satellite compared to the other two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Travler dish.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	45185  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:28 AM   #9
mgrote

Sat tv

If you or anyone here wants more receivers, dish, and stand. I have 2 receivers for sale and a dish with stand. I went with a permanent dish on roof so I can use my receivers from home. Will sell all cheap, like half price of new plus shipping.
Hate to say it but if you want multiple tvs watching different satellites then those little portable dishes don’t work well for that. I could never get it to work and many hours with tech support I was told you have to be on the same satellite for all TVs and can only watch channels on that satellite on all TVs. That’s why I switched to permanent roof mount
mgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #10
TXiceman

The only roof mount satellite antennas that work for multiple TVs is the Winegard Traveler or the RF Mogal. The little dome antennas only work on satellite at a time. The antenna needs multiple RNBs.

What we did for a while was us two dome antennas feeding two receivers. It was cheaper than a Traveler.

Ken
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:51 AM   #11
mgrote

Yea we found that out the hard way after buying the little dish.
I didn’t want the hassle with all that so shelled out the money for the big roof dish. Just puts a button for it to raise and align and another button to retract. Much simpler now
mgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #12
TXiceman

We rescued a person at Camping World in Tulsa a few years back. The sales person was feeding a lot of manure ant trying to sell them the wrong equipment for what they wanted. He was pissed that I interfered in his sale and cost him a sale.

Do not buy satellite equipment from CW unless you know what you want and need.

Ken
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite