Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #1
Justus2

Replace roof seal on slides

Here it is, another year and another problem with my 2014 Alpine(3010 RE). This one is our fault, we haven't conditioned the rubber seals at all, and push the slides in for winter, out in the spring.

The slide in the entry side of the trailer is leaking from the top. I need advice on replacing that rubber seal.

How do you do it?
Where do I go to get the right seal?

Is it normal for the rubber seals to shrink so.much that it leaks right in the center of the slide?

Thank you in advance ....
Justus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
Northofu1

Hi Sarah(?)
Lots of questions.
Have you gone up there to have a peek at what tools you will need? Taken measurements?
I have never personally done it, but I would look before I leap to see how in depth it would be.
This is what I found just googling it, this will help to find what type of seal you have.
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=rv+slide+s...sl_1sbhoeeyn_e
Or not. Get up there, take some pictures, a measurement and see how they're attached and you just might find the answer. Someone with more experience than I will be around soon to ask you questions
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Lee

Youtube is your friend!!!!!

Just type in RV slide out seal replacement..... and you will find many videos!!!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
ChuckS

I own the same year and model Alpine... one screw on each end of the wiper seal to remove. Slide out the old seal... measure and cut new seal and slide in and reinstall the two screws. About 15 minute job

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
ChuckS

https://www.trekwood.com/products/29...lip-On-1225-Bx

You can also shop around for TPE clip on wiper seal

https://elkrv.com/products/seal-wipe...et-tpe-clip-on

Old 07-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
gearhead

Is the seal flip flopping as it should? If not, there is a strip of plastic you can stick on the roof of the slide out. I have no idea what it is called. Comes in a roll, you cut it to length, about 6-8 inches. Peel and stick. You can also stick them on the slide exterior walls. My Landmark had them standard, I added a few more.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Justus2

Seal is correct.

Dealer told us we needed to adjust our slide out, so we had it adjusted today.
Now, where the water was pooling is better, but there's still a gap between the rubber and the roof.

We ordered a slide cover, but technician recommended we either put a pole inside to push the top of the slide up, so rubber meets the roof.
Or, remove the facia and replace the header board inside.

Sounds like a mess.

ChuckS, would the wiper seal help us get the rubber to stick to the roof top, as it's supposed to?

"You can also shop around for TPE clip on wiper seal

https://elkrv.com/products/seal-wipe...et-tpe-clip-on"

Anybody have any other suggestions?
Old 07-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
ChuckS

I’m amazed that any reputable RV tech repairman would suggest jamming a pole up against the ceiling of that slide out to get the exterior roof to make contact with wiper seal

I’d take a piece of thin nylon cord and go across the top of that slide out roof and pull the string taught. Look across bottom of string and see if there is a large dip in the roof to string...

A straight edge would also work but it would take a long one...

I’d also crawl up on the roof and work your fingers under that wiper seal and go end to end on the wiper seal checking it condition and how it lays against the roof membrane

The seal is long enough that you’d have to have a huge dip in the roof for that wiper seal to not make good contact against roof material.

If the seal is pliable and laying snug against the membrane from end to end then seal is doing its job...

Also your unit is a 2014... as is mine... if the slideout has been left open for long periods that wiper seal on the roof is most likely got some issues...

So YES... if the wiper seal is deformed and not laying tight against the roof membrane then a new seal would fix your problem

Another thing to check is how is the RV leveled. If one side is leaning a bit the water will have a chance to run inward toward that seal and puddle ...

Old 07-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
Justus2

Thanks Chuck.

The slides do not stay out year round. They go in, in the fall and out in the spring.

The header on the main slide is warped or broken after 6 years of water pooling. What does Keystone use for the header on the slide without the fridge in it.

We need to fix the warp.
Is there a wider seal we could purchase?
Is there something to help the seal stick, maybe that would help it in that one spot.

I'll try to get a picture for you.

Tags
roof, slide