Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #1
purebred

Best WIFI extender, or booster ?

Tried searching but no luck. With more and more RV parks offering free WIFI i was wondering what rvers are using when they find their free signal not up to par? Some rv parks wifi is very good and some not so good. My luck is it seems were always far enough away from the rv towers for poor reception. What are the good people out there using ? Any ideas and recommended options are greatly appreciated. Thanks
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #2
Snoking

I followed this path a few years back. No longer use it now. I did help a lot, however is a bit techie to use.

https://outsideourbubble.com/build-a...for-under-100/
Old 06-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
flynaz

Best WIFI extender, or booster ?

I tried the Alfa Pro 2 and it worked great once you get it set up. There are a few tricks you need to do.

ALFA Network WiFi CampPro 2 Universal WiFi / Internet Range Extender Kit for Caravan/Motorhome, Boat, RV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BZXTWC9..._Lil9EbC0FDZ15

For instance, most parks are now using a captive portal login. You have to login using one of you devices (iPad), then setup the Alfa to mirror the MAC of your iPad. Then setup the connection using the Alfa and it should login. Once I got things set up it worked great.
I found myself spending way too much time trying to get the rig WiFi repeater up and running. So usually set it up for longer stays if the park WiFi sucks
flynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I mounted to our ladder a dual band outdoor Bearfli USB wifi antenna, ran the USB cable through my rear window and connected to my missus laptop. I mounted the antenna so it can be turned fairly easily using cable ties. I use the laptop as a hotspot that allows our TV and other devices to pick up a much better signal and we streamed Netflix much of the weekend last weekend. To be honest, it didn't do as well with the 5 gHz band as the 2 gHz band and I doubt I would buy another dual band. I have the same antenna on a pole outside my shop office and pick up 2 gHz from my home router several hundred yards away and can stream at over 25 mb/ps. Without the antenna can bare connect or see the signal from the router.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
purebred

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen so much, Appreciate the valuable information.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
purebred

Camp pro wifi extender great

I ended up looking on Ebay at the Camp pro wifi extenders and found a guy selling a used one with a yagi antenna instead of the straight type with the original. I aim the yagi at the distant campground antenna wow what a difference. The signal is at maximum bars now. I realize the bandwidth will suffer when park is full but at least the wifi signal is ton's better now. For all the non believers these things work.

Tags
wifi