Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
Frank G

New Garmin RV 890

This might have to be placed on Santa's list!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/70...n/010-02425-00
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Schbobby

Nice, also works with a backup camera, looking at this combo myself!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Looks like my 760 only a larger screen. Frank G if you're looking to become a secret Santa I'd love to get that for Christmas!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Marshall,

You do know that the value of any gifts received from members has to be reported to HR and they deduct that value (x2) from your annual site team bonus.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Ahh, who cares! Something that nice would have a nice price tag on it....but, with the wages we get he won't even be able to see it coming out of his paycheck....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:48 AM   #6
notanlines

Am I the only member noticing things like, after becoming monitors, John buys a new Slingshot and Danny shows with a new 5v'er and new truck? I believe Hank and Chuckster are just better at keeping their wealth under wraps!

On a little more serious note, anyone else find the constant beeps warning of approaching curves and speed limit changes exceedingly annoying? I might further add that Garmin doesn't seem to be able to keep up with technology nearly as well as Google maps and the like. Our Iphone maps is usually more accurate when looking for directions in a metro area.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:12 AM   #7
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Am I the only member noticing things like, after becoming monitors, John buys a new Slingshot and Danny shows with a new 5v'er and new truck? I believe Hank and Chuckster are just better at keeping their wealth under wraps!

On a little more serious note, anyone else find the constant beeps warning of approaching curves and speed limit changes exceedingly annoying? I might further add that Garmin doesn't seem to be able to keep up with technology nearly as well as Google maps and the like. Our Iphone maps is usually more accurate when looking for directions in a metro area.
I've got a older Garmin RV unit with LT maps and it has served us well. When in RV mode it only provides verifiable RV routs based on input data. Not sure if the google maps on the smartphone will keep me out of trouble. With my hearing impairment, and a low volume, the annoying sounds are minimized. When I fly right seat in our son's well equipped Aztec I am truly impressed with Garmin's technical abilities.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I was going to say about the same thing as Frank. Garmin has some of the most sophisticated technology I've ever seen, even in things as "simple" as a Cessna 152.

I'd have to make an "educated guess" that not everything Garmin knows about mapping and routing is revealed in their "RV units". Of course, paying $400 for a "inspired for your RV" and $4000 for an aviation unit should "up the technology" involved, but Garmin can do a lot more than you see in their RV GPS.

I'd suspect it's not Garmin's ability to package advanced technology, it's more about what they install and market for the price of the unit. Their ability to provide technology is "simply amazing"

It's somewhat the same with Keystone or any other manufacturer. They market the "package" to appeal to a generalized market. The features and options on a Hideout are quite different than the features and options on a Montana. Same with Garmin, they design their RV GPS units with what they "think the consumer wants" which may appeal to nearly all RV'ers, but to the occasional consumer who's looking for more than the "Garmin inspired RV basics" some other system may be worthwhile.

Even with the aviation units, there's a "radio, radar, ground controller and someone to keep track of where you are and what you're doing". Relying strictly on the GPS for everything isn't practiced with any manufacturer's GPS. Garmin is no different... "Trust but verify".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

When I was learning to fly in a Cessna 172 (the 152 was too tight for me) there was no GPS, on Loran and the naval aviator that was my instructor wouldn't let me use it. He taught me not to become dependent on something that may not be usable if there was an electrical issue. A map, a compass, "Tick" marks on the map at timed intervals per ground speed, landmark notations etc. while using a round paper "flight computer". Lessons I never forgot.

When GPS became civilian available I replaced the Lawrence Loran on my boat with a Garmin GPS. The accuracy was amazing. I used a GPS unit that plugged into a laptop (Delorme) for several years before the automotive units became available. Tried several brands (for myself and as family gifts) over the years.

My experiences were Magellan was the bottom Pic. They were first with an RV "specific" unit and it was very buggy and they offered zero support. Tom Tom was ok and Garmin was top dog.

I have been using the Garmin for years now and wouldn't look elsewhere unless there was some MAJOR advantage. The RV760lmt-s that I have can be connected to their brand back up camera or any hard wired camera with an RCA plug. It has Bluetooth, voice activation, and many features and options. Like any device, the more options the more you have to read and comprehend which can be challenging for the "technically disadvantaged" users like my DW.

These are just my experiences and my preferences. Not using a GPS, using a cell phone, or using a sextant or pulling into a truck stop asking "how in the H do I get to .. and where in the H an I" (while telling the DW to wait in the truck and I'll get us a drink) is up to each of us.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When I was learning to fly in a Cessna 172 (the 152 was too tight for me) there was no GPS, on Loran and the naval aviator that was my instructor wouldn't let me use it. He taught me not to become dependent on something that may not be usable if there was an electrical issue. A map, a compass, "Tick" marks on the map at timed intervals per ground speed, landmark notations etc. while using a round paper "flight computer". Lessons I never forgot.

When GPS became civilian available I replaced the Lawrence Loran on my boat with a Garmin GPS. The accuracy was amazing. I used a GPS unit that plugged into a laptop (Delorme) for several years before the automotive units became available. Tried several brands (for myself and as family gifts) over the years.

My experiences were Magellan was the bottom Pic. They were first with an RV "specific" unit and it was very buggy and they offered zero support. Tom Tom was ok and Garmin was top dog.

I have been using the Garmin for years now and wouldn't look elsewhere unless there was some MAJOR advantage. The RV760lmt-s that I have can be connected to their brand back up camera or any hard wired camera with an RCA plug. It has Bluetooth, voice activation, and many features and options. Like any device, the more options the more you have to read and comprehend which can be challenging for the "technically disadvantaged" users like my DW.

These are just my experiences and my preferences. Not using a GPS, using a cell phone, or using a sextant or pulling into a truck stop asking "how in the H do I get to .. and where in the H an I" (while telling the DW to wait in the truck and I'll get us a drink) is up to each of us.

Ah hah! You been following me? I told DW I thought there was someone tailing me as I tried to figure out what town I was in and how to get this new trailer out of that tiny truck stop.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ah hah! You been following me? I told DW I thought there was someone tailing me as I tried to figure out what town I was in and how to get this new trailer out of that tiny truck stop.
Uh, did I mention that line was spoken from experience? When I was working I was often looking for sites to build a restaurant or free standing building for retail. That would definition could be LAT/LON coordinates, a "just east of intersection of XX and YY streets, or a plat number. Having the GPS saved me many hours of time searching and hence it's use long before the "stand alone" gps were available.

Another feature I like on my Garmin is often it will say "Turn left at the next intersection just before the McDonald's" or "Turn right just after the Shell station". That makes an audible instruction sufficient .
Old 06-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
cavediver

My DW used to say stop an ask at a gas station for directions. One day I made her do it. Now she knows why you don't do that. Most of the kids working in them couldn't find their way home if you turned them around. I have a nack for finding my way around it's called paying attention, and a map.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #13
LadyFaire

We use the Garmin driveassist with dash cam. Smaller display, yes, but compatible with Garmin backup cameras - one of which is on MY Christmas list for the back of the camper. The dashcam certainly came in handy when some idiot with his head buried in his phone (texting) hit me almost head on. I was able to provide the camera footage to both the police AND the other driver's insurance company.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
Qwerty

[QUOTE=notanlines;394474]Am I the only member noticing things like, after becoming monitors, John buys a new Slingshot and Danny shows with a new 5v'er and new truck? I believe Hank and Chuckster are just better at keeping their wealth under wraps!

Says this guy

2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2017 Mobile Suites
21K Demco auto-slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar

Hornet 26RBS
Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Magnum
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #15
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

This is kind of weird to see. Last week I was going through an old box of electronics and ran across my Garmin/Delorme unit and software. Sitting on my credenza waiting for me to actually let go of it.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote