Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2020, 04:28 AM   #41
May

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
May, here is a typical 'honey wagon'
Wow... ours does not look so fancy !!
May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #42
kjohn

I get a laugh out of these posts. If a trailer is parked at a full service campground, with water supply (remember - full service!), and sewage outlet, it would be the day I started running a snowblower in hades that I used the CG toilets for ANYTHING! Putting used toilet paper in a bag would be cause for selling the trailer. One of the reasons for buying a trailer was to avoid public toilets.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #43
wiredgeorge

If I had my camper in a permanent location and was pumped by a honey wagon, I would install a 200 or 300 gallon waste tank. Neighbor did it prior his septic install and he had to wait a few months. I would have a plumber do the install unless you are handy. FWIW, the neighbor dumped gray water out on the ground... he lives on quite a few acres and although probably not going to make the ecologically minded happy, it was gray water from the sinks, shower and washer and he (lives with wife) only got pumped every couple months. If you dump gray water into a single holding tank with black water might be 20 days to a month? (just guessing).
Something like this:

https://www.rumpke.com/for-your-busi.../holding-tanks
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #44
Steve's 70-5

Had a TT for little over a year. My rule is my last trip for the season is to a place that has full hook ups. I will spend time flushing my black water tank. Will run lots of water thru it. I am lucky to have a flush on my tank.

Will run some water in the tank when driving to campground hoping the water will loosen things up.

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #45
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
I get a laugh out of these posts. If a trailer is parked at a full service campground, with water supply (remember - full service!), and sewage outlet, it would be the day I started running a snowblower in hades that I used the CG toilets for ANYTHING! Putting used toilet paper in a bag would be cause for selling the trailer. One of the reasons for buying a trailer was to avoid public toilets.
Same here!
No way are we storing used toilet paper!!!!!!
Or paying more for crappy (pun intended) rv specific paper.
As for the "paper digestor" chemical, that's one of enzymes mentioned that would be great when storing the RV for extended periods, but to dump in & drain in a few days won't do much good.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:44 AM   #46
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Same here!
No way are we storing used toilet paper!!!!!!
Or paying more for crappy (pun intended) rv specific paper.
As for the "paper digestor" chemical, that's one of enzymes mentioned that would be great when storing the RV for extended periods, but to dump in & drain in a few days won't do much good.
Since I had nothing else to do in the past 3 months, I decided to try an experiment. I used a small amount of that digester in a one gallon pail with 5 sheets of Angelsoft TP. I used a gallon bucket so I could measure out the exact amount/gallon that they recommended for regular maintenance. In another bucket, I used plain water with the TP. I did not stir or shake either bucket after addition of the TP.

I was kind of amazed at the difference. I did not mix or shake either bucket. In three days, the one with the digester had broken down the TP into fine pieces that laid on the bottom of the bucket in a pile where the sheets had been. . The TP in the plain water was soft, but not in fine pieces.

All I can say is that in my limited experiment, it seemed to work pretty well. It will only break down the paper, not the poo, and maybe with a mixture of both in the tank, you would have to use a lot more digester. I don't know about that.

Good luck, and maybe the OP can let us know how he solved the problem.

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #47
clickrs

Stuck TP

Hi I can’t find it but there is a YouTube video for getting rid of the poo pyramid, it is basically using the geo method borax Calgon and some dawn dish soap added to a bucket of water and poured into the toilet, followed with water and a soak. I use happy camper treatment. After we empty the black tank and close the value I now add a scoop of borax with the happy camper before using again we are at a seasonal site hooked up to a sewer line so we do this whenever we have to dump the tank. I am happy no more odors and things flush out all the way. We have a clear elbow so can see when it runs clear as we flush it before adding anything. Good luck found the video it is tr bowlin
clickrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #48
clickrs

Agree 100%
Old 07-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #49
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by May View Post
Yes it's in the chute on the way to the tank...
I think you're right-we're not using enough water... Yes I think it's probably become stuck to the side ! frig... This has only been over the past month...
We had that problem and had to get roto rooter to fix it. The cause is using the wrong toilet paper. Regular TP will stick and eventually block the pipe, ask me how I know. Use only septic certified TP and flush with lots of water.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #50
McRod

OP. Fill your toilet with water and use this sewer auger to open your drain. It attaches to your hand drill.
Get it at your local hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	088712812500-01.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	28531  
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #51
clickrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
We had that problem and had to get roto rooter to fix it. The cause is using the wrong toilet paper. Regular TP will stick and eventually block the pipe, ask me how I know. Use only septic certified TP and flush with lots of water.
We use Scott’s regular tp and have never had a problem I buy it in bulk from bjs us3 it at home too.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #52
notanlines

I don't think that poking the spinning auger up into the black tank is a good idea. As a matter of fact I can think of few things worse than that action. You stand a very good chance of damaging the dump valve, the tank sensors, and maybe the tank itself.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #53
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I don't think that poking the spinning auger up into the black tank is a good idea. As a matter of fact I can think of few things worse than that action. You stand a very good chance of damaging the dump valve, the tank sensors, and maybe the tank itself.
You don't swim up the creek. You swim down it.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #54
CaptnJohn

Never will I get the picture out of my mind~~~ those that collect TP instead of flushing it must collect and label it like some do with pictures. I can see relatives visiting and they point out the bag from Yellowstone, or the Missus big dump in New Orleans. Why not simply get an E-tool?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #55
jwessel

Tank flush

If you use the wand, is that only done at a site that has full hook up? I don't think other people waiting in line at the dump station will want to wait while I flush my black tank. If no one else is waiting maybe, but where do I get a water supply for the wand?
jwessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #56
WDPatterson

May,
My wife and I have been living in our 5th wheel for 2 years, while building our house. We have a similar condition as you do, using Barker 42-Gallon Tote Tanks, to haul off our refuse. Our black tank catches the shower and the toilet. Our gray tank catches the kitchen sink and the lavatory.

We have been using Thetford's Aqua-Kem Toss-Ins, in the powder fresh scent the entire time.
Nobody has mentioned it, but you need to make sure that when the people come and empty your black and grey tanks, that they properly shut the valves on them.
** You also need to add about four or five gallons of water into your Black Tank, to prep your black tank for further use.**
If you don't put that layer of water in the bottom of it, stuff will stick. After adding a little bit of water like that, throw a Thetford packet down in there. It will dissolve, and it will use an enzyme to dissolve and liquefy everything that gets in the tank.
I use a clear 90-degree elbow to see what I am emptying from my black and grey tanks, and I can assure you that everything is liquefied to the point that you can no longer recognize the contents. It's just a thin, muddy slurry.

ALWAYS ADD WATER & AQUA-KEM PACKETS AFTER EVERY TANK EMPTYING.

The packets not only smell good, but they do a very good job of dissolving any organic matter which will be in your gray tank or black tank.

If you feel that you need to clean your tank manually, you can use a "Johnny Chock" to hold the flapper door open.
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product...y+Chock&sr=8-3

That will leave your hands-free to do the work of manipulating the tank cleaning wand.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX7YC...osi&th=1&psc=1

Speaking of that clear sewer elbow, here is the one you can put between your dump outlet and the dump hose.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...4333502&sr=8-8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_165254.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	28537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181106_141319.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	28538   Click image for larger version

Name:	21Me0lqOiiL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	28539   Click image for larger version

Name:	31D4tzBLbtL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	28541  
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #57
FlyingAroundRV

I saw the title of this thread and thought "OMG someone's found a store that still has stock of TOILET PAPER!"
I'd love to know the real reason there was a run on TP when the pandemic started...
Did someone put out the word that COVID gives you the runs?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #58
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I saw the title of this thread and thought "OMG someone's found a store that still has stock of TOILET PAPER!"
I'd love to know the real reason there was a run on TP when the pandemic started...
Did someone put out the word that COVID gives you the runs?
Two reasons the way I see it.
1 panic
2 fear
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #59
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Two reasons the way I see it.

1 panic

2 fear
You forgot

3. Sheepishness

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #60
Outbacker47

Quote:
Originally Posted by May View Post
I could really use some suggestions... 2007 Keystone Springdale 299bhds
With COVID, my park isn't letting us use their bathrooms. So we've had to use our toilet for poops (ew... yes I used that word) when we have never done that before.

I can see the wad of toilet paper... How do I get it down into the black holding tank like the liquid waste ? I've tried baking soda and vinegar... hot water with dish soap.

It's way too far down to reach by hand. Is there a miracle liquid that will dissolve it (without wrecking my pipes/plumbing?)...My teenager thought he'd help me, and went and got a big stick from the marsh behind our trailer and pushed it down further ! (UGH!)

Thanks a bunch !
Get yourself some and follow the directions for a clogged tank.
https://www.amazon.com/TankTechsRx-T...dp/B00JFUJBTW#
Outbacker47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet