Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Mzunrs

Dishnet

I have satellite internet. Anyone know how to ‘install’ it using an outside access point? I don’t want to put holes in my new baby. 2019 Keystone Spinter Campfire. Thanks!
Mzunrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

does your unit have an outside connection for "park cable" or KeyTv?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Mzunrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

does your unit have an outside connection for "park cable" or KeyTv?
The two connections aren’t labeled. I’ve got Dish TV in one of the connections. I’m taking it as the other is an output for deck tv. Currently I have my router and WiFi router connected in the pass through, but can’t close the door...
Old 07-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Your cable/sat IN should be together and usually on the drivers side of the trailer. If you have only one then its probably for park cable and the one on the other side is roof antenna/park cable OUT.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
Mzunrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your cable/sat IN should be together and usually on the drivers side of the trailer. If you have only one then its probably for park cable and the one on the other side is roof antenna/park cable OUT.
Will give that a try. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The above suggestions relate to satellite TV, but satellite INTERNET is a "whole 'nuther creature"....

Satellite TV only receives a "down signal" so pointing a dish "toward a broadcasting satellite" will put your "antenna dish" in a position to receive the "broadcast cone".

The same is not true for INTERNET satellite communications. Your dish must be "aimed" (not just pointed) at the receive/broadcast satellite. Not only must you be "in the broadcast cone FROM the satellite, you must also "create a broadcast cone" to point your "outbound broadcast" toward the satellite. That requires a "precision, unchanging dish positioning".

The typical "wally" or "winegard satellite dish" is not capable of being aimed with sufficient precision to "communicate wtih the satellite" (upbeam and downbeam).

Dish uses a couple of satellite internet providers, BlueYonder/Blue Horizon and HughesNet.

Neither of those companies will provide "mobile internet service" so I wouldn't expect Dish to provide you with an "add on internet service" from either of those companies.

Before you get too "deep in the weeds" with buying or modifying your equipment, I'd get with Dish and discuss what you're trying to do. Chances are they (or the internet service provider that you're bundled with) will not approve the "mobile installation"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote