Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Bevans

Ramp door

I have 2009 fuzion with a soft structure around the hinges at the bottom. Has anyone rebuilt a ramp door on one of these?
Bevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
MConnelly

Soft door

My 09 403 did the same thing. By the time I noticed it the only thing holding the door together at the bottom was the fiberglass sheet outer panel.
On my rig, Keystone had neglected to seal the lower Aluminum U frame so water got in and rotted the board. Fortunately the aluminum honeycomb extend to the bottom of the door just above the wood base so I was able to make the door "sound" again by extending the hinge straps up to solid door.

I cleaned and re sealed the bottom U channel and then used aluminum plates 12 X 4 X 1/4 to sandwich the solid part of the door to the hinges.

From the inside out there is a 1/4" plate on the inside of the door. Then the door, then a 1/8" plate to act as a filler plate so that the outer 1/4" plate that overlays the hinge , can lay flat against the door. I bolted the bottoms of the plates thru the hinge holes , thru the door , thru the inside plate, Thus sandwiching the door between the plates. I also thru bolted the plates thru them selves and the door on the upper part of the plates.
I used 3/8" bolts and lots of silicone sealant.
Door is rock solid!!
Hope this and the pic help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rig door repair.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	3756  
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Bevans

Thanks for the help
Bevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConnelly View Post
My 09 403 did the same thing. By the time I noticed it the only thing holding the door together at the bottom was the fiberglass sheet outer panel.
On my rig, Keystone had neglected to seal the lower Aluminum U frame so water got in and rotted the board. Fortunately the aluminum honeycomb extend to the bottom of the door just above the wood base so I was able to make the door "sound" again by extending the hinge straps up to solid door.

I cleaned and re sealed the bottom U channel and then used aluminum plates 12 X 4 X 1/4 to sandwich the solid part of the door to the hinges.

From the inside out there is a 1/4" plate on the inside of the door. Then the door, then a 1/8" plate to act as a filler plate so that the outer 1/4" plate that overlays the hinge , can lay flat against the door. I bolted the bottoms of the plates thru the hinge holes , thru the door , thru the inside plate, Thus sandwiching the door between the plates. I also thru bolted the plates thru them selves and the door on the upper part of the plates.
I used 3/8" bolts and lots of silicone sealant.
Door is rock solid!!
Hope this and the pic help
Wish I had see this 3 days ago. My 09 402 is in the shop getting the door rebuilt and it isn't cheap.
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Whitehouse

How is water getting in to do the damage?
Whitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
LittleJoe

Add a stick on gutter moulding across top of door to funnel water over to sides of door. This will go a long way to prevent water leakage
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
TGal

This is a very old post I look every where for help, but I just repaired my ramp door. The bottom part where the ramp is bolted to the trailer is just a 2x4 8 feet long. There is a 2x4 in the middle that would be for support. It was not hard to replace the 2x4 on the bottom but all most imposable to replace the center without taking the door totally apart. Caution for all the folks that want to make the ramp door a patio. Its full of foam and 1/16 inch wood. Not plywood. I added L brackets to the top and bottom of the inside of the ramp door for support. I got them at hardware store. I am going to add a piece of aluminum sheet about 3x8 on the inside bottom to help with the support as well. I am posting this as I looked ever where for help before I did the work and could not find anything on this. I found water is getting in around all the hinges. The 2x4 was totally rotten. I sealed up all the bolt holes with silicone.
TGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:44 AM   #8
raptor0818

Hi, glad to see this old post. I have an 07 Raptor and like everyone else door is rotted at the hinge area/s. Wondering how the aluminum trim is held on place? Once trim is removed how hard is it to re-install?
raptor0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:14 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Last poster TGal has been on the forum since posting the note in June. You might want to first do a full search then if you don't find the information you need start a new thread.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote