Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Did any of you notice he said SWAY bar, not SPRING bar!
When I had an equalizer the spring bars moved easily as in with my pinky finger. I didn't have an anti-sway bar on that hitch.
Maybe you should go back and re-read post #13... NOWHERE in his post will you find the word "sway"....

He specifically stated: "You did not say what brand of hitch you have but it sounds like a weird hitch. I think that any hitch that you have to lift the back of the truck to hitch up is a very strange hitch."

I'd suggest that any hitch (with spring bars) is much easier to hitch if the back of the tow vehicle is lifted to remove the tension on the spring bars.... That post (#13) is the post to which I was responding and "sway" is not a part of the poster's comment or my response"...YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #22
Modifier

It would appear to me that a lot of the members of this forum don't know that there are other brands of WD hitches besides Equalizer. There are a lot of much better brands of hitches with built in, superior, sway control. And yes as usual "better" translates to more costly. But they work better and are more user friendly.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifier View Post
It would appear to me that a lot of the members of this forum don't know that there are other brands of WD hitches besides Equalizer. There are a lot of much better brands of hitches with built in sway control. And yes as usual "better" translates to more costly. But they work better and are more user friendly.

Everyone knows there are other brands. I think it would be a revelation that there are a "lot of much better brands of hitches" than Equalizer since most/many of the members own Equalizer and like them after using multiple brands...can you expound on that? You can leave ProPride and Hensley out so what's left in your opinion?

And while I agree "better" usually translates to more costly I think it would be beneficial to understand "better" and "more costly" to you. I like "better", I don't care about "cost".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #24
Modifier

I am not in the business of advertising or promoting any product but for many years I have used Reese Dual Cam hitches and they do not require any lifting of the truck to hitch up and the sway control is excellent. The use of the snap up brackets and a lever bar makes hook up easy.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I am not in the business of advertising or promoting any product but for many years I have used Reese Dual Cam hitches and they do not require any lifting of the truck to hitch up and the sway control is excellent. The use of the snap up brackets and a lever bar makes hook up easy.

Thanks. I see you posted the Reese vs a "lot of other much better brands with built in sway control" as you previously stated. I'm not seeing "lots". As far as "better" translates into more costly, I think you will find the Equalizer will generally cost more than the Reese. In addition, the spring bars with chains pulled up with the little cheater bar is exactly the same design I started with back in the 70s...things have improved. The only difference, to me, between the dual cam and the old spring bars/chains and the bolt on, tensionable "sway controls" is the addition of the "cams" on the underside...same concept.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or take a side, simply pointing out that your original post was misleading and needs to be clarified.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
Gunny Mike

Etrailer.com sells the grease that the mfgovernment recommends. Our first hitch was brand new and was tight where the bars would only move out about 5 inches. We ended up loosing that one in a campground one weekend during one of those forgot moments that occur almost every triperson it seems. There is always some drama when hooked up. We picked up a used one in Elkhart at a hitch place and it cost $300.00. The square bars are not interchangeable so we had to pick a head that fit the bars we had instead of waiting two days for an exact fit. This one has more movement in it and my bars cans swing forward enough to touch my rear bumper. Have traveled 5k plus miles using this hitch system and have not once had a sway problem. I guess that's why I paid the extra money, no trailer sway and no need to hook up a anti sway bar.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #27
Modifier

To each his own opinion. Let's agree to disagree and move on to more important things. That is enough said.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
To each his own opinion. Let's agree to disagree and move on to more important things. That is enough said.

Don't want to harp, but my questions to you were about your statements; not your choice of hitch - to each his own, and his opinion.

"It would appear to me that a lot of the members of this forum don't know that there are other brands of WD hitches besides Equalizer. There are a lot of much better brands of hitches with built in, superior, sway control. And yes as usual "better" translates to more costly. But they work better and are more user friendly." Your post.

This statement implies that you have LOTS of experience with ALL kinds of hitches and know definitively you know of what you speak. That's why I asked for clarification and what it is that you know that others of us don't; not to debate your choice of hitch.

We have lots of new members, and untold numbers of non members, that read these posts hoping to learn...real stuff, not just words that have no backing in fact. If you do in fact have facts, data etc. to share that would be great. If you just like your Reese hitch that is great too, just don't say stuff that just isn't so.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:50 AM   #29
SummitPond

Can someone educate me on the real big difference/benefit of a 4-point system like Equalizer versus a 2-point system like Fastway's e2? Is there a breakpoint on TT length/weight where the less expensive 2-point is considered by the Equalizer users "just as good" as the 4-point? I haven't exhaustively searched the manufacturers' web sites, but I don't see the technical justification - only generic discussions on how they work (or maybe I need new glasses!)

I was given (as much as a dealer will give you anything - but I did trade them a spreadsheet I used to scope out the new trailer) the e2, although the Equalizer is also offered at that dealership.

I'm curious to know, if and when we "move up" to a larger TT, do I (or at what point do I) replace the WDH I have with something new.

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 AM   #30
Northofu1

While it is my first WDH, I like my Blue ox sway pro. They have great reviews.
You do have to raise the hitch to engage and disengage the bars.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You might want to take a look at the owner's manual for your Reese Dual Cam hitch, page 8:

"WARNING:
When lifting/lowering Snap-Up Bracket, Avoid putting any part of your body in the path of the lifting handle and under the cam arm and spring bars. Components of this system are loaded with substantial force and could shift position or drop suddenly causing serious injury or death.
Never Raise or Lower Snap-Up Brackets without raising the trailer tongue jack to remove the load from the spring bars and cam arms. Failure to do so could cause serious injury."

While your chosen procedure for tensioning the Snap-Up brackets is a means to accomplish "loading tension on the hitch", it is against the WARNING in your owner's manual.

Again, I'll say, "I know of no hitch that uses spring bars to distribute weight that isn't easier to "load the bars" by raising the trailer/tow vehicle to unload the tension.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #32
travelin texans

I haven't had TT in 20 years & it had the chains, a 18-24" bar to flip the chains over & sway bar that clamped down between 2 tiny balls on the truck & trailer. At the time I was under the impression if they weren't somewhat difficult to tighten then they were doing no good, tension=weight transfer. Did raise the tongue jack with it attached to the truck to make loading the chains much easier, actually I couldn't attach them without raising, I had the link I needed painted red.
My FIL had the same system & found out you can transfer TOO much weight. He had the chains so tight that it was raising the rear of his truck & spinning the tires very time he took off, wore a rear set of tires in 1 summers travels. He thought his old GMC 454 with a manual 4 speed was too much truck til I adjusted his setup for him, he said it even towed better afterwards.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Can someone educate me on the real big difference/benefit of a 4-point system like Equalizer versus a 2-point system like Fastway's e2? Is there a breakpoint on TT length/weight where the less expensive 2-point is considered by the Equalizer users "just as good" as the 4-point? I haven't exhaustively searched the manufacturers' web sites, but I don't see the technical justification - only generic discussions on how they work (or maybe I need new glasses!)

I was given (as much as a dealer will give you anything - but I did trade them a spreadsheet I used to scope out the new trailer) the e2, although the Equalizer is also offered at that dealership.

I'm curious to know, if and when we "move up" to a larger TT, do I (or at what point do I) replace the WDH I have with something new.

Thanks.

Ken,

I've never used the E2 nor have I seen a chart that gave hard information on when/where to go from a 2 points of sway control to 4. I think that is simply due to the countless possible combos of trailers and trucks.

For me, I started with a chain wdh on a 1/2 ton, long bed Ford and a 25' TT with no slides. I traveled primarily throughout TX and SE NM. Initially I started with one of the add on "sway" bars that attach to the little outboard balls on the hitch head. That didn't do enough in the wind so went to 2; that still didn't fix it but I lived with it for a few years. I learned of the Equalizer (no internet back then) and went with a 4 point (don't know if they even made the 2 point then) and problem solved.

The difference between the E2 and the 4 point is obviously the points of contact for sway control, 4 vs 2. The E2 gets its sway ability from the contact of the round/trunnion bars contacting the L bracket on the frame. The 4 point gets its sway from those same 2 points plus the adjustable friction swivel points at the head which, IMO, give more control than the L brackets.

Where to draw the line when there is no difference in performance? I don't know definitively. I will say, again IMO, that if my original chain wdh couldn't control a 25' trailer the E2 will do no better so I'm thinking something in the <25'/6000lb. range might be OK. Above that you need all the sway control you can get and aside from the ProPride/Hensley it's hard to beat the 4 point in my experience and conversations with others.

To me you have to separate the 2 functions; wdh and sway control. I figure nearly any wdh out there will work up to about 10k lbs. when many of them limit out (not Equalizer). When effective sway control is considered the field narrows quickly and is as important, or more so, than the distribution aspect. Trying to determine if you have the "best" wdh/sway control possible for a given combination can turn into an expensive little test so I just opt for getting the most/best I can within reason. IMO you can't get TOO much sway control (it can be adjusted) but you definitely can have too little.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #34
TDoggart

"WARNING:
When lifting/lowering Snap-Up Bracket, Avoid putting any part of your body in the path of the lifting handle and under the cam arm and spring bars. Components of this system are loaded with substantial force and could shift position or drop suddenly causing serious injury or death.
Never Raise or Lower Snap-Up Brackets without raising the trailer tongue jack to remove the load from the spring bars and cam arms. Failure to do so could cause serious injury."

That sounds like it was written by a lawyer and not an RV tech.
TDoggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #35
UsTwo

So i went to a Husky Centerline WDH, that has the built in sway,after using the ol chain and Sway bar control.. Big difference.. To the question asked.. Yes they are really really stiff at first. hardly movable..To just after 4 months of use, 1 to 2 times a month. Now the wife can move them in or out from the hitch area when needed.

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoggart View Post
"WARNING:

No, if you consider what's "really happening" it makes perfect sense to unload a spring before you try to push it beyond where it wants to go... But then, if you're trying to argue that it can be done "anyway", I'll concede, yeah, if you're strong enough, you can push harder than someone who isn't as strong and "force the spring into submission"... You can also travel without wearing a seat belt, if you contend that requirement is also, "written by lawyers not a vehicle driver".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

Isn’t that why they give you the cheater bar? That way you can lift the spring bar up and over, proving your strong as an OX..and as smart LOL.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #38
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoggart View Post
"WARNING:

Elastic energy is pretty extreme when it comes to tempered steel. I would reduce the flexure as much as possible before attaching/unattaching the steel bars.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Isn’t that why they give you the cheater bar? That way you can lift the spring bar up and over, proving your strong as an OX..and as smart LOL.
Yeap, and "thinking RV'ers" use the tongue jack (as suggested in all the owner's manuals" to make the job easier and not "risk injury" should the cheater bar slip....

In fact, even with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, you don't have to be "strong as an Ox" to read the owner's manual and do it the "smart and safe" way, which is listed on page 6, step 5 which reads:
"5. Attach the spring bar chains to the rotating latches with the appropriate chain link. Apply tension to the spring bar by using the wrench to rotate the latch counter-clockwise until the locking pin on the latch engages. Do this on both sides of the trailer. Optional: Supporting the trailer tongue weight with the trailer jack eases the tension on the spring bar chains and allows easier latching."....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Written by a lawyer? Perhaps, but in the age of litigation and "it's not my fault that I'm stupid" it's come to the point where coffee cups come with "contents may be hot" and hair dryers have labels tell you not "use it while in a shower".

In my opinion, lifting a spring steel bar with potentially a 1,000 +lb. load on it would be easier and safer if some of the load was removed. Sort of like having a car full of NFL lineman and changing a flat tire. You can tell them to "stay where you are I got this" or "o.k. guys, everybody out while I change the tire".

Maybe it's age but I'd much rather work smarter than harder. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch