Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Louvinlovin

Power problems with springdale tt

Hello, I am new here. We just purchased a 2003 Springdale 295bh. When we got it home we plugged it into a 30 amp plug. Yes 30 amps on 120 volts. I tried to put the slide out, out, and it went a little then we heard this loud beeping sound. We got what little bit had come out, back in. But then there was no power to the rig. I have a 30 surge protector and it kept tripping. Upon further investigation we found the converter and hot water heater circuits kept tripping. The battery tested ok. But this morning, next day the battery was dead. If we just completely disconnect the battery and re hook up the rig to shore power, do you think that will fix the problem. I called a rv mobile repair guy and he does not come to where I am. We need this to be all fixed in 3 weeks. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get the converter model number tomorrow.
thanks
Louvinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

If the coach battery is bad, that may be your issue. Take it out and see if it will charge. If it does, then load test it. Obviously if it fails get it replaced.

Then plug the trailer in and measure the voltage at the battery terminals. If it isn't 13VDC or higher, your converter has either gone kaput, or the fuses on the backside of converter have blown.

We'll start with having you test the battery, then once a known good battery is installed, check for charging voltage at the battery. We have 3 weeks to fix this? Piece of cake!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvinlovin View Post
Hello, I am new here. We just purchased a 2003 Springdale 295bh. When we got it home we plugged it into a 30 amp plug. Yes 30 amps on 120 volts. I tried to put the slide out, out, and it went a little then we heard this loud beeping sound. We got what little bit had come out, back in. But then there was no power to the rig. I have a 30 surge protector and it kept tripping. Upon further investigation we found the converter and hot water heater circuits kept tripping. The battery tested ok. But this morning, next day the battery was dead. If we just completely disconnect the battery and re hook up the rig to shore power, do you think that will fix the problem. I called a rv mobile repair guy and he does not come to where I am. We need this to be all fixed in 3 weeks. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get the converter model number tomorrow.
thanks
Welcome. Your in good hands with Chuckster. Wish he was close to where I live. Good luck.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
14george

X2 what captnjohn said from W Va
Old 08-17-2016, 02:00 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. You've got great moral support here.

Chip Bruce, RPH
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:21 AM   #6
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. You'll get it up and running with all the help here.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:34 AM   #7
Louvinlovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

If the coach battery is bad, that may be your issue. Take it out and see if it will charge. If it does, then load test it. Obviously if it fails get it replaced.

Then plug the trailer in and measure the voltage at the battery terminals. If it isn't 13VDC or higher, your converter has either gone kaput, or the fuses on the backside of converter have blown.

We'll start with having you test the battery, then once a known good battery is installed, check for charging voltage at the battery. We have 3 weeks to fix this? Piece of cake!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does one load test it? I am worried about this. (We have sold our house and am moving into this temporarily, so that is why I am worried about it.) And why can't we just disconnect the battery? I have an older TT and never had this kind of problem with it and it never had a battery connected to it. I guess they are different kinds of systems.
The battery on the rig is new in I think June of 2015. The battery is on a trickle charger as we speak, er type. We will try to do it again. Thank you so much for the help and thanks for all of the warm welcomes to this forum.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Just follow Chuckster's lead and you will be OK. On a 13 year old RV you may have any kind of problem(s).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
GMcKenzie

Couple options to load test it. Once it is charged, take it to pretty much any auto supply store that sells batteries and they will test it for free. Or buy a load tester like

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumache...ester/21642133

and test it yourself.

Slides generally won't work if you don't have a battery hooked up. They draw more amps than the converter can put out.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Couple options to load test it. Once it is charged, take it to pretty much any auto supply store that sells batteries and they will test it for free. Or buy a load tester like

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumache...ester/21642133

and test it yourself.

Slides generally won't work if you don't have a battery hooked up. They draw more amps than the converter can put out.
And, to operate the slides without a battery installed can (and often does) overload and destroy the converter and/or overheat the slide motor. No idea what previous owners of your RV may have done and what they may have removed, but all "new" RV's have a warning label attached to the control center/slide switch warning against operating the slide without a battery installed in the system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
bobbecky

I would also suggest, until you get the battery problem or whatever is causing your slides to not work, leave the water heater off, and anything else not needed that works off of 120 volts. Also, make sure to hook up your battery properly, or you will blow fuses in the converter.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Louvinlovin

Well i went into the trailer today and used an extension cord so i could vacuum and steam clean the interior. A little tight with the slide in, in the in position but I got everything I could to get that done. WHile there I looked at the power box. The power converter is a 6300 A and model 6345 with a battery charger. Our old camper did not have a slide out. Soooo, I am finding out quickly how much of a pain in the butt slide outs can be. I am sure all of you nice folks will help us get this straightened out. THank you.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Hate to disagree, slides are the best thing invented for RV's.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
GMcKenzie

I kinda understand not liking the slides. Sometimes improvements to trailers can be a pain in the butt.
Had a trailer years ago. I could turn the heater on and not have to run a fan, and still heat up the trailer. I miss that, but there is no way it would work in my current trailer.
If my slide is in, I can't get to the fridge. Still can get to the bathroom, but have to put the slide out in order to get a beverage. It's a bit of a pain when traveling.
But all that aside, I'd still rather have a modern trailer with a slide then one without.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
Louvinlovin

The reason we got it is because the slide afforded us so much more space. My daughter is now a teenager and of course adult sized. haha. and we will be staying in this temporarily in between places because we just sold our house. We have to be out in 3 weeks! Hence the time frame. And the dometic fridge has a recall too! So I have to schedule that asap too. plus pack up our house and get it all to storage! I might simply lose my mind!! We are working on charging the battery and see if that helps. Maybe we can then get this figured out. This forum is about all that is helping us right now. 'THank you all so much. But this is not done yet. I will let you know as we progress. The battery tonight showed 13.16 on the charge. I think that is right.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
Louvinlovin

My husband and I have decided that we are just going to take out the dometic fridge and replace it with a residential fridge. It seems to us that the recall kit is more of a patch!! It just contains the fire if it happens. Well we don't want our camper to catch fire and risk our lives. Has anyone had any issues with the dometic fridges that were recalled? The whole situation makes me very nervous!! Now I won't have to worry about the rig being gone for a week or more with such a short time frame. We can take the small residential fridge from our older camper and put it in the newer one. At least for now.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Power problems with springdale tt

I have installed dozens of the Dometic recall kits. Haven't seen or heard of a single fire afterwards.

After you install the recall kit, I can assure you as a tech that your refer will have the same components and protection as a brand new unit.

Your choice, but if you plan on selling in the future, it will impact the price. I'm watching this thread, and I am readily available by PM if you need additional info.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #18
Louvinlovin

Thank you for your response. But I will just feel better with an electric one. We really have no use for the propane part. We are always plugged into shore power. And if we are not I just use a cooler with ice. We also have one of those dc coolers we can use. That is rare to boondock. Especially now with a bigger rig. I wish you lived closer to me and could help us. I had our old rig figured out, but this one is so different. But in time I will get it. I think we will be taking many things from the old camper. But that is ok. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
Louvinlovin

Well, we decided to get the repair kit after all. It is going to the dealer Monday AM to get that done. I was thinking about asking them to check out the converter thing too. Or at least give us some direction and help us to make sure we do it right in the future. I told the man at the dealer what our situation was and he will try to rush it. I really can't afford to have it gone but what else can I do. The battery is taking a charge, but it is taking forever. My brother in law said last night that it was at a 1/4 charge! It has been on the trickle charger since Tuesday morning. Is that common for it to take that long?
Old 08-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvinlovin View Post
Well, we decided to get the repair kit after all. It is going to the dealer Monday AM to get that done. I was thinking about asking them to check out the converter thing too. Or at least give us some direction and help us to make sure we do it right in the future. I told the man at the dealer what our situation was and he will try to rush it. I really can't afford to have it gone but what else can I do. The battery is taking a charge, but it is taking forever. My brother in law said last night that it was at a 1/4 charge! It has been on the trickle charger since Tuesday morning. Is that common for it to take that long?
Trickle (key word) are slow by nature. They are great for topping off but slow to fully charge a dead or very low battery. A regular charger would be a better choice. Just my 2 cents.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charge controller, converter