Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
BigMac

Creeking WD HITCH

Hi all

Some advice please.

When hooked up to my Cougar 28RB.... I don't get a lot of noise when turning. When I am hooked up to weight distribution it creeks like its gonna snap in half. Totally scary sound. The WD is level, but it clearly only happens when I am hooked under WD.

Is this a hitch weight issue ...or do i just need to grease the bars?? I a totally unsure. I pulled a PUP with WD prior to this and did not have the same scooby Doo scary noise.

BigMac

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
bsmith0404

You don't say what type of WDH you have, but the noise you are describing is pretty standard on many of them, especially round bar with chain setups. It's nothing to worry about and there isn't much you can do about it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 AM   #3
MarcS

Mine did the same thing until I greased the zerks where the bars go.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 AM   #4
Dave W

When we had TTs, the WD bars would creak. I greased any point that had moving metal to metal contact. Of course, this means dirt and the need to occasionally clean and relube those points. The lube points were the bar trunnion heads, the lift bar chain ends (both) and the ball. Something else to look at is the bolting - hitch to TV and the bar chain adapter ends to A-frame and retighten. Our last arrangement only had a single long bolt to tighten the chain bracket and that bent, allowing the adapter to swivel and needed some welded mods to fix permanently
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
Mike484

I have the cam style and it makes a lot of noise. I now dab on a little vasoline to the cams, the ball, and a couple drops of oil in the hitch where the WD connects too, now it is very quiet.

I use vasoline because when I used grease, I had a big mess, vasoline does not make near the mess and is much easier to clean up, but doesn't last as long as grease. It's a trade off, but I prefer the less mess over the better lubrication.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
Tbos

Creeking WD HITCH

I have an equalizer WD hitch and a few drops of dish soap on the L brackets seems to greatly reduce the noise. If you drive in the rain you will need to reapply of course.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Mike484

What brand of dish soap, is it the one that is so clean you can see yourself?

Just kidding.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
PhilDeb

On my Equalizer, the noise comes from where the front of the bars go into the hitch. With the bars attached to the hitch, they creak just trying to swing them in and out. I know they make shoes for the L brackets but that isn't my problem.

I've taken it apart and sanded all of the surfaces and applied anti-seize. That made it stay quiet for one trip. I am NOT happy about taking it apart to lube it every trip. You'd think they would come up with a better idea. I feel like I might as well take the exhaust off my truck and blow the horn while driving through the campground.

One of my jobs at the dealership was to find and fix noises in everyone's new vehicle. This noise is unacceptable. Not that I'm a whiny b!@#$ but come on.

I will make a few more attempts at a "fix" before switching hitches.
Wisconsin
PhilDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDeb View Post
On my Equalizer, the noise comes from where the front of the bars go into the hitch. With the bars attached to the hitch, they creak just trying to swing them in and out. I know they make shoes for the L brackets but that isn't my problem.

I've taken it apart and sanded all of the surfaces and applied anti-seize. That made it stay quiet for one trip. I am NOT happy about taking it apart to lube it every trip. You'd think they would come up with a better idea. I feel like I might as well take the exhaust off my truck and blow the horn while driving through the campground.

One of my jobs at the dealership was to find and fix noises in everyone's new vehicle. This noise is unacceptable. Not that I'm a whiny b!@#$ but come on.

I've never had to take mine apart to grease it. I just clean it real well and grease the mating surfaces and then manually manipulate the bars to get the different areas. I use the equalizer brand grease. I did increase the torque on those two bolts to 65flbs. That is not where mine makes the noise.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
RLM5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDeb View Post

I have the e2 hitch. I got a lot of noise at first, then after the paint wore in the primary friction spots I used the equalizer brand lube where the bars install in the head and on the ball. The only noise I have now is when the bars move on the L brackets. I'm used to it and understand why it makes noise so it doesn't bother me.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
PhilDeb

I'll give that a shot. Thanks guys!
Wisconsin
PhilDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
tanglemoose

Eq lubricant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM5150 View Post
I have the e2 hitch. I got a lot of noise at first, then after the paint wore in the primary friction spots I used the equalizer brand lube where the bars install in the head and on the ball. The only noise I have now is when the bars move on the L brackets. I'm used to it and understand why it makes noise so it doesn't bother me.
We have the Eq hitch, bought lubricant from Eq and has taken away the noise completely. Hubby does clean off hitch after using, but amazed at the lack of squeaking.... also put on those locking Pina in the bars..
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #13
BigMac

Hi all....this is the OP. thanks for the great responses. I am with PhilDeb. When I drive somewhere or through a campground I feel like the whole place is staring at the creaking cruiser laughing. I guess it's somewhat normal though. I will may be try some grease or soap etc.

Mine is an EZ2 I think. Not chains....the other kind, square bars. I noticed where the square bars attached to the hitch side they are sort of light rusted ...maybe that's the issue.

What kind of grease would I use for this. Or what kind of dish soap !!!!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
Tbos

On the L brackets a couple drops of Dawn or something similar. I use the Equalizer brand grease per the manual.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
BigMac

Tks Tbos

Old 07-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #16
Mike484

Make sure it is set up correctly too.

I had mine set up and it made noise, I lubricated it, then had no noise. I adjusted the tilt of the ball, then got all kinds of noise I didn't have before. I have since changed it back to where it was but hasn't tried it again yet.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 07-24-2016, 05:13 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Scared the crap out of me the first time I pulled mine. Thought I'd torn the whole bottom out of the camper.

Someone told me, so this is their opinion, not mine, that if it is making noise, it's working! Makes sense to me. On the flip side, if it's not making noise, maybe it's not working as well? Just food for thought.

The noise is annoying, but short lived. Get parked quickly and disconnect. For those in the campground staring, wave at them and smile. Maybe share a cold brew with them later. I'm pretty sure 30 minutes after you drive by, they don't even remember what happened. If they do, wow!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #18
Fatal_Rewind

Equalizer 4-point

I have had a similar issue when I first got mine. The heavy creaking and insanely loud screeching sound coming from the hitch. I did purchase the L-bracket pads, and they did help. I also add lithium grease to the ball and to the tops of the receivers, where the bars attach. Just add a little and move the bars back and forth to work the grease in. I have not had a problem since and have not noticed a reduction in anti-sway of weight distribution.

See the picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	10957  
Fatal_Rewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #19
Laredo291OH

I have a Reese dual cam, it makes loud popping noises when turning sharply, but that is how the cams function. I have never been around the equalizer hitch, but I believe the purpose of the L brackets is to create friction to eliminate sway. If you are greasing or lubing the L brackets, it seems like there wouldn't be any friction to stop the sway. The manual for the Reese Dual cam said NOT to lube the cam area for that very reason, except a very small dab of vaseline. The noise really bothered me when I first started using it, but I have gotten used to it. If you watch in campgrounds they all do it. Maybe the best way for me to get rid of the noise is by spending $100K on a new truck and 5ver.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #20
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Creeking WD HITCH

I have a Reese SC (sway control) WD system with an separate anti-sway bar.

The bar trunnions require lube where they attach to the ball mount, to prevent excessive wear (it is metal-on-metal grinding).

The bars, where they are placed on the hangers, must stay dry. This is a friction-point that serves as the built-in sway control. This movement of the bars across the hangers generate a bit of noise. (On this system, there are replaceable brake pads on the hangers for best friction.)

The anti-sway bar also needs to stay dry and is a brake-pad-on-steel friction device. This generates A LOT of noise.

My friends know I am coming when I pull in! It is a badge of honor!

In any case, sway-control components will generate noise because friction is how sway is controlled. If you don't understand how the system works, read your system's instructions to determine where and where not to lube. You do not want to lube everything in order to get rid of the noise.

Keep in mind, most (all) the noise takes place while turning. Don't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote