Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2024, 04:30 AM   #1
Mudjoc

Question Slide out Ski proper install procedure

I purchased my 2020 fusion 429 brand new and with in the first year the slide outs with the fabric underbelly had started to frey. Keystone sent the Dealer slide out skis to fix the issue. With what I have learned the slide out ski is supposed to be tucked under the trim piece that seals the fabric to the fiberglass sides. If that cannot be done then what is done to install it. Mine was screwed to the side and on the underside of the ski is was stapled. When this was done no caulk was used to seal the ski which I found out later and now have some rot on the slide out. I am asking what is the proper procedure to install the slide out skis and what materials should be used to install the ski properly to the slide out. Thank you
Mudjoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure which "brand" of slideout ski Keystone sent to your dealership, but all that I've seen require the bottom edge aluminum molding to be removed, sealant applied, the ski installed, bottom edge aluminum molding reinstalled and a bead of sealant run along the top of that aluminum molding.

The ski is not placed "over the bottom edge molding".

Here is a previous thread in which Danny (sourdough) placed a link to the youtube in his post #9: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=51675

There are no staples used in any of the kits that I'm familiar with. The only reason I could imagine that would require the use of staples is to IMPROPERLY install the ski OVER the aluminum molding, which would cause it to not sit flat and then would require staples to pull it up against the bottom of the slide... If that's what they did, then the dealer installed them incorrectly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
Mudjoc

Hi John, that was my thought about the screws and the staples, I am having a meeting with the dealer soon and I am just trying to put all my ducks in a row. I am hoping they take ownership of this issue but very sceptical on that. Will see. Thank you for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure which "brand" of slideout ski Keystone sent to your dealership, but all that I've seen require the bottom edge aluminum molding to be removed, sealant applied, the ski installed, bottom edge aluminum molding reinstalled and a bead of sealant run along the top of that aluminum molding.

The ski is not placed "over the bottom edge molding".

Here is a previous thread in which Danny (sourdough) placed a link to the youtube in his post #9: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=51675

There are no staples used in any of the kits that I'm familiar with. The only reason I could imagine that would require the use of staples is to IMPROPERLY install the ski OVER the aluminum molding, which would cause it to not sit flat and then would require staples to pull it up against the bottom of the slide... If that's what they did, then the dealer installed them incorrectly.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:38 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sorry to hear of your slide problems. IMO the biggest concern you have at the moment is the rot and getting the dealer to own up to it and fix it. There are quite a few videos and explanations of putting skis on that I have seen/read and none of them say to put the ski over the transition strip on the ends....that is just a poor, lazy installation. If they didn't put sealant over the edges of the ski on the end all they did is make a conduit for water right into the frayed sections of darco under the slide. Staples are the work of someone totally ignorant of the purpose of not only the skis but the darco in protecting the wood under it - the will allow water penetration right through the darco and into the wood.

I would arm myself with all the information you can gather on the proper way to install the skis (which they didn't do) so that you will be totally familiar with the process and be able to counter any defenses they come up with. If Keystone paid to have the skis installed they will double down on them being the solution. The current ones are ruined IMO due to all the screw and staple holes. The link John attached to the ski video shows him using some putty tape. I've seen double sided tape and they used an adhesive on my first uhmw strips (not skis) years ago. The skis work fine with the tape since they're only 6-8" or so and SHOULD be attached under the transition strip on the end and sealed. If the darco is fraying places other than the ends you need a different solution for that...and there are quite a few. Here's another link that sort of explains the skis and water damage;

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:21 AM   #5
Mudjoc

Just to clarify they didn't go over the trim piece they butted up right underneath it because it couldn't be tucked underneath the trim piece like they were telling me it's supposed to be. So they put screws in on the trim piece into the wood and then stapled it on the bottom side. No caulking was ever done so I told them it's just like a pool liner and you put holes in it and it's not supposed to leak. The water would just bleed down go behind the slideout ski and bleed in through all the holes. I wish I would have figured out what they did originally but I thought they knew what they were doing. Obviously not.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Before you let anyone touch the slide, take LOTS OF PICTURES !!!!!

When the dealer or you contact Keystone, they will deny any claim and punt the problem back to the dealer that did the repair. That dealer will probably want to use multiple excuses why it's "YOUR FAULT" not theirs....

Photos are the only way to prevent a "your word vs theirs" situation... When they deny putting the staples in it or deny cutting the ski so it fits "beneath not behind" the lower aluminum trim, the improper installation will become an issue. The more photos the more manufacturer installation instructions you have, the more youtube video instructions from the manufacturer, etc you can obtain, the better you'll be able to "outmaneuver their denial"....

Honestly, if Keystone sees the photos of what you've described, they will very likely take your side and push the dealer to fix the problems he caused..... At least let's hope Keystone sees what he did and makes the "logical conclusion"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:37 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudjoc View Post
Just to clarify they didn't go over the trim piece they butted up right underneath it because it couldn't be tucked underneath the trim piece like they were telling me it's supposed to be. So they put screws in on the trim piece into the wood and then stapled it on the bottom side. No caulking was ever done so I told them it's just like a pool liner and you put holes in it and it's not supposed to leak. The water would just bleed down go behind the slideout ski and bleed in through all the holes. I wish I would have figured out what they did originally but I thought they knew what they were doing. Obviously not.
Over the transition strip or placed under it (did they have to trim it down I wonder?) without any sealant it's a source of water intrusion. Minimizing holes through the darco is a primary goal as all are potential leaks. Obviously they didn't do that but instead added extra screws then failed to seal them.
Like John noted....pictures, pictures, pictures from any/all angles and perspectives. Good luck, and, I would be getting with them sooner (much sooner) rather than later. On any given day whoever you were dealing with could be gone, their memory fades () or any other unexpected ??? Plus, starting now maybe it will be finished by the time camping season is upon us. I would certainly be pushing them to prioritize the repair of their previous repair and bump you to the top of the line once they agree to fix it.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:37 PM   #8
Mudjoc

Just wanted to give you guys all a update on my slide out, I met with the dealer and the techs that I have been working with their backed me up and agreed with what I was saying about how the skis were installed incorrectly and they are willing to work with me on this repair. What was going to run about $10,000 is costing me less than $2,000 so they stepped up I believe. I would have loved to see them pay for it all but I'm just glad that they're willing to work with me. Thank you everyone for your input I showed them all your responses and the response from keystone as well. Thank you everyone
Old 02-02-2024, 03:19 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Hopefully that repair includes replacing the rotted wood etc. 10k is an awfully big number and lots of work could/should be done for that amount. 2k is nothing to sneeze at either and still buys a lot of labor. Installing the skis shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at say $140hr. Removing the old ones and repairing the damage THEY caused should cost you nothing IMO.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:51 PM   #10
Mudjoc

So it's not just a skis that have to be replaced but all the rotted wood so they are pulling the slide out which is actually a very large slide out which includes the kitchen refrigerator stove part of the cabinet and a couch area. So they have to remove all that remove the trim pull the slide out out replace the floor and put it all back together. About 40 hours worth of work all of labor. So it is a large project that's why I was willing to pay the materials. I priced it out at another company and it was around the same cost as well.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:10 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

That's better. It sounds like they caused the problem and it would be on them to fix but in the real world you are probably getting a good deal from them because I figure this is on their dime since Keystone did their part sending the skis and having them installed. They could have left you holding the bag for everything....and lots of dealers do....but they didn't. Congratulations on getting it resolved and hopefully they do a proper repair. Have them put the skis on as part of the job - if there's darco on the bottom it can and will fray. Just had a thought; wonder if they might be receptive to covering the entire bottom of the slide with uhmw? That's what I had them do to mine; no more darco worries, water intrusion etc. (or skis).
Old 02-02-2024, 06:17 PM   #12
Mudjoc

That's one thing that I want to talk to them about because I think that's a good idea instead of just doing the skis because it seems like the skies likely don't hold up for very long. I looked into seeing if I could do hyperdeck but I believe it is to thick for a slide out floor. It's lighter weight and more durable but I believe it's too thick. I'm going to talk to the dealer on Monday about covering the whole bottom with that material. It's more expensive but might be worth it in the long run. Plus it's smoother and will glide a lot better saving my motors from moving it in and out. Thank you for the good idea.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:58 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Uhmw is made for that sort of application; sort of a slick, self lubricating, hard surface. I've always used 1/8" thickness.
If you're going to all the trouble and expense might look into it....far, far better than skis and uhmw strips.

Tags
slide, slide out