Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
dagen

Hideout 178LHS Shower Paneling

Hey all,
I am new to rvs/ trailers and also new to the forum. We just bought a Hideout 178LHS Outdoorsmens edition trailer. There is wood paneling throughout the trailer, even into the shower stall.

My question is: Should I treat the paneling in the shower stall? It appears to be the same as all the other paneling in the rest of the trailer. I would like to assume that the panels there have been treated somehow, but you know what they say about assuming. . .

Should I consider putting up some new panels that are waterproof in place and/or on top of those? Should I just get some Thompson's water seal and treat the panels? Or is it going to be just fine as it is?

I have a hard time believing that the wood will hold up to the water and soap.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a picture for reference:
dagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
busterbrown

Last year before I bought my Keystone Bullet, I looked at some entry level brands from different manufacturers that had the same wall panels in the shower stall as in the rest of the coach. I'm sure the laminated coating on the panels makes them ok for water resistance. But the wife and I decided to only invest in a unit with a dedicated vinyl or plastic bathtub wall surround. 3 young kiddos on board taking multiple showers per day was the deciding factor for the surround.

In your case, depending how much you'll be using the shower, you could apply a quality grade exterior paint to the panels for waterproofing and "lightening up" the space. I wouldn't really consider a water sealer on a finished panel.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
notanlines

Dagen, odds are you have panels that have a vinyl face factory applied to them. Be very sure you don't put Thompson's or any product like that on them. You would be cleaning up the mess for a long while. Find a sample of the product behind an outlet and dig at it a little and find out what it is really. I'm sure it won't be wood paneling.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
dagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Dagen, odds are you have panels that have a vinyl face factory applied to them. Be very sure you don't put Thompson's or any product like that on them. You would be cleaning up the mess for a long while. Find a sample of the product behind an outlet and dig at it a little and find out what it is really. I'm sure it won't be wood paneling.
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that the panel would just have a wood facade and is actually vinyl under that? When we walked through the trailer the panels all feel like they are a thin luan. The ones in the shower feel identical. We don't have the trailer on our property, so I'll have to wait to go and check what it looks like behind the paneling. . .
Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
dagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Last year before I bought my Keystone Bullet, I looked at some entry level brands from different manufacturers that had the same wall panels in the shower stall as in the rest of the coach. I'm sure the laminated coating on the panels makes them ok for water resistance. But the wife and I decided to only invest in a unit with a dedicated vinyl or plastic bathtub wall surround. 3 young kiddos on board taking multiple showers per day was the deciding factor for the surround.

In your case, depending how much you'll be using the shower, you could apply a quality grade exterior paint to the panels for waterproofing and "lightening up" the space. I wouldn't really consider a water sealer on a finished panel.

I thought about painting as well. I'm not sure, and we may go that route in the end. For all I know the wood would be ok. I would like to think that the manufacturer put some forethought into this and it'll all be fine, but I can't help but second guess the paneling in there. . .
Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Ask the service manager at the dealership for his explanation of the material and how it will work in the shower. I would not for one minute want the wall panels in our trailer used in our shower.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

We see this type of construction in other brands. Can't say anyone has brought one back for any delamination issues yet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
dagen

That's good to hear that others have not had problems. I also just got an email back from Keystone this morning. They said:
"The showers in mini Hideouts do not have a shower surround. They are water proofed and sealed. I would recommend to wipe them down after use"

Glad to just be double sure. . .

Tags
hideout