Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
attila

Noisy Water Pump

2015- 21rbswe Cougar; great TT; love everything about it except the water pump sounds like jackhammer. I have read other threads on how to deal with problem and have located the water pump near water inlets, under the carpeted platform alongside of the bed on the slide side. But, how do I get to it. I can find no panels, screws, openings, etc under the carpet. Would appreciate any wisdom on how to get to the pump to try and quiet same.
Thanks,
Van
attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Lee

Hi Van,

I have a 2014 model of the same TT and I have the same issue with the water pump noise but mine is intermittent.

As for accessing the pump. There are 2 brown screws hiding in the carpeted lid of the platform. One on each side 1/2 way along the front and back,.... if that makes sense ;-) I was surprised how hard they were to find as you have to probe around in the carpet pretty well.

Hope this helps,
Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
attila

Lee,
Thanks for the information. I'll give that a try. My local dealer says Keystone has a "quieting kit" for their water pump, but haven't looked into that yet.
Thanks,
Van
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Lee,
Thanks for the information. I'll give that a try. My local dealer says Keystone has a "quieting kit" for their water pump, but haven't looked into that yet.
Thanks,
Van
The "quieting kit" consists of two pieces of flexible hose to attach to the input and output of the pump. Supposedly the white flexible 18" sections of water hose are supposed to reduce/eliminate vibrations from the pump that are transmitted to the hard plastic plumbing lines which "hammer against the trailer components".

Although it helps, that "kit" won't stop the noise. Do a forum search for "noisy water pump" or "water pump" and you'll find a number of threads about this problem. It's not just related to your specific trailer application, all 12 volt water pumps tend to transmit vibrations and pretty much make far too much noise for their size.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Are you making sure you are purging the system of air? When mine sits over the winter I have to make sure the first time I use it I fill the tank and go to every faucet and let the cold and then the hot run for a bit. That includes the inside and outside shower and even the hookups for washer if you have it. If I don't do that the water pump is very noisy. Quiets down tremendously with no air in the system.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

First Rvs I have owned in 1970s that had water pumps to present about 9 have all been loud. One would think the makers of them would have changed that by now. My neighbors real high end motorhome was not loud but some of that could have been location of pump. I have been attempted to purchase a better pump that claims to be less noisey, but have not on the grounds that what if it really did not change much noise due to location of pump and water lines bounceing against the floor/walls etc.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Over the years, a number of different types of water systems have been tried in RV's. They started with the demand pump (what Keystone installs now) went to a "slow RPM belt driven pump" then to a pressurized steel water tank and an air compressor to pressurize it, to a piston driven pump and finally back to the demand pump. We are now back to where we started and noise has been an issue with almost all of them.

As for the "high end motorhome" water system, the storage compartments under the floor are all insulated and in many of them, they install the water system in a "far back compartment" where the water tank, accumulator, pump and macerator pump are all located... In that "super insulated, soundproofed compartment, the water pump does "seem more quiet", that is, until you open the compartment door and it's a "sur-flo" just like ours.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
attila

Noisy Waterpump

Thank you for all of your help. Following Lee's post, I gained access to the water pump and applied the "fixes" found on the forum. It has quieted enough so we don't have to wear ear muffs in the trailer.
I really enjoy and appreciate the forum. It has greatly speeded up my "learning curve" and saved untold hours of frustration and expletive deletes.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
itstime2ride

Add a water accumulator. Every trailer should have one
itstime2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Funny, I just realized I have never run the water pump in our Alpine. The DW insists on full hook-ups so we are always connected to city water. Maybe I'll throw some water in the tank when getting ready for the next trip just to hear how it sounds.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Irving Ray

My new to me Cougar 28sgs was unacceptable, been around compressors and generators for 45 yrs , no more noise. Went to a Sureflo 4 chamber and if anyone wants that Flojet your welcome to it , odd ball fittings and could be used as a jackhammer. Cut the noise by 60-70 % very acceptable . Worth every bit of the $65 . Happy trails Bart PS did put extra cushion under it.
Irving Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21rbswe cougar