Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #1
Bottomdweller

Steps

Wanting to replace the external entrance steps with something more solid, rather than the standard roll up and under steps. Any suggestions on manufacturers and pros and cons on doing it myself.
Bottomdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
Roscommon48

https://www.google.com/search?client...s&channel=cus2

lots out there. Just make sure that they will fit your trailer...a mistake I made one time.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
Hblick48

Be careful. Most are solid that fold into the inside of the door making a mess. Also, these require at least a 3 foot clearance to fold out which wouldn't work in the storage lot we use.

Glowstep fold into the existing step storage area however they are a lot more expensive.

Going to try these step stabilizers for $13 before I spend $600 on Glowsteps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECHII...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
GaryUT

Our trailer has the LCI solid steps, very stable. They store by folding into the doorway. We use a whisk broom to clean the steps off before folding them up. If they are wet then we use an old towel to dry them off, and place the towel in the doorway to catch any drips after folding. The major downside is that we are unable to get into the trailer when it is in the storage bay, I have room to open the door but not fold out the steps. I currently have the solid steps removed so I can work on the trailer over the winter.

MORryde makes removable solid steps that attach to brackets below the door. You remove them when not in use. This would not be as convenient as the LCI steps for a quick stop. With these I would be able to access the inside of the trailer in the storage bay by using a step ladder.

https://www.morryde.com/products/154-quick-connect-step

I would never go back to folding steps, especially on a trailer that needs 4 steps. They are way too unstable. I like the convenience of the LCI solid steps, but removable steps would solve the storage access problem.

The ultimate solution would be a quick disconnect system added to the LCI steps. That way they could be quickly installed when the trailer is removed from storage, and removed just before it is put back into storage.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Woodworker

My 3811ms came with MoreRyde steps. Solid and adjustable and fold into the doorway. They do deposit all the dirt from the stairs because when folded into the doorway they are upside down. Not a big deal.
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
DMK

After the OEM steel steps kept breaking and I had them welded a few times and being afraid either my wife or I would eventually get injured (we both weight under 200 lbs). I purchased two Torklift glow Step Revolution steps for our Raptor Toy Hauler. It was money well spent so stable much lighter and easy to deploy and retract. I installed myself and took less than 45 minutes per step including removal of the old ones. Well worth the $ one of our favorite upgrades to date.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
Hamops

Replacement Steps

We replaced the existing fold-out steps with a set of steps from MORryde. It worked out very well. To ensure that I ordered the correct stairs, I took all the measurements that are shown on the MORryde web site, and also called MORryde for advice on which model to order. MORryde was very helpful in that regard. Installation of the new steps was very simple and easy. This year, I intend to buy the optional handrail for the stairs and the storage box that goes in the pocket that held the fold-out stairs.

My wife really likes the new steps because she has bad knees and she had a hard time getting into the trailer with the old steps.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
jim1

The MORryde steps are great and even better with the handrail for us with worn out knees. We've had them on our last 2 5ver's and would'nt go with out them. Enjoy!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
Customer1

I didn't want the MorRyde solid steps because of the design drawbacks. I am happy with the folding steps and carry two Stack Jacks which I put under them when we are staying put for a while. With the Stack Jacks underneath they are rock solid.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Hamops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
I didn't want the MorRyde solid steps because of the design drawbacks. I am happy with the folding steps and carry two Stack Jacks which I put under them when we are staying put for a while. With the Stack Jacks underneath they are rock solid.
I installed a set of "quick jacks" on the folding steps and the worked ok. Even thought the quick jacks helped to stabilize the folding steps, my DW always found them too steep her bad knees. The MORryde steps that I installed made all the difference because the are a more natural step to walk down.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #11
LewisB

Morryde Steps Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomdweller View Post
Wanting to replace the external entrance steps with something more solid, rather than the standard roll up and under steps. Any suggestions on manufacturers and pros and cons on doing it myself.
Our Raptor came with the Morryde Step Above 4 step system that folds inside the trailer door for travel. These steps are very stable, but come with a significant potential safety issue; if you change the level of your trailer with your steps down and door closed, you stand the chance of significant damage to your rig.

Additionally, as already outlined, these steps swing out really wide during opening and also need to be fairly level to use. So pulling over along the road and using these to get a cold drink or use the restroom becomes a pain in the a*s.

For people who don't move their RV much and/or have bad knees, these steps are probably nice. If you are a "camper", move your rig a lot, and don't have bad knees, I would vote against these steps. See: 1543339434-RV Step Tip_v3.pdf

Unless absolutely necessary, I would recommend stabilizers for your fold-up steps rather than replacement with the Morryde steps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:49 AM   #12
chunker

I have gone the other way with steps and intensely dislike the "solid steps" that have become prevalent on many of the models. I suppose if I had a park model or other RV that didn't travel much they would be OK but since my style of travel involves actually traveling, they don't work. On my new Raptor toy hauler that I just ordered and recently received, I had the pivoting steps removed and the folding aluminum steps installed. It was supposed to be accomplished at the factory during the build but due to the order being inserted into an existing build, didn't happen. Dealer did a top notch job on the remove and install.

That said with the leveling system, the trailer, and steps, is exceptionally stable. Much more so that the GF's 5th wheel with old style leveling legs. I bought 2 Camco stabilizing legs which are designed to be bolted to the bottom step but haven't installed them yet. I believe the key to the steps is periodic lubrication and inspection. On the motorhome I had the electric Kwikee steps and they were not maintenance free nor is anything on an RV. For my usage I can stop at a rest area easily get in the RV and not worry about someone running over the steps. Side space in storage isn't the only time you may not have room to use the newer steps. When we were in Monument Valley UT last year there was a tree right where the door was. If I had a trailer and the solid steps there wouldn't have been room to use them. Moving the RV wasn't an option since they were full and larger sites very limited. The Kwikee steps as do the older folding steps only need a couple feet to use. The newer need more than 4' to unfold out the door. Manufacturers should offer the choice but they are lazy and most RV buyers don't know the difference to implications of some parts.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
LadyFaire

Our 2013 Springdale Summerland has one step that pivots down from under the door. It SEEMS sturdy enough, but is an awful steep step up for me with my mobility problems. I've been thinking about building a 'box' that could be kept inside one of the storage areas and taken out when parked. I can't afford much more as getting the camper, getting all of the necessary accessories and the modifications I've already made have eaten through my 'setup' funds. Any inexpensive, but sturdy suggestions are MOST welcome!

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote