Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
jonbarck

Furnace fan

I own a 2021 38’ BH Sprinter and when I go to turn on the furnace the fan cycles on and off every few seconds and then stops completely. Both propane tanks are full and there isn’t any air in the lines. My family and I live in this full time and have no way to haul it in for service so any help is appreciated.
jonbarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
bobbecky

A common problem that affects furnace operation is when you get your propane cylinders filled, when after reconnecting the propane lines, turn on the valves very slowly, as rapidly opening the valves can cause the check valve in the big nut that connects to the cylinder to close off, which severely restricts the flow of gas. This is a safety device that cuts the gas flow if a line breaks. Turn off the valves on both cylinders, remove and reinstall both connections at both cylinders. Then, slowly open each valve. After doing this, try your furnace again. Hopefully, this resolves the problem. The photo is a cutaway of the valve inside the big connection nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp-type-i-excess-flow-cutaway-ball.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	35937  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #3
jonbarck

Thank you Bob for your helpful response. Unfortunately the propane never ran out, the fan just started doing this short cycling between normal operation. One minute it’s was working fine the next it started this and I can’t figure out why. I even tried unplugging from shore power turning the battery switch off for 15 minutes in hopes it would reset itself.
jonbarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
ajchadon84

Jon I’m having the same issues. I have friends that used to work for the place I bought the trailer and he told me more than likely it’s the sail switch…. Which I’m not going to lie it’s complete crap that after only owning this trailer less than 2 months and we now have to replace things??
Did you figure anything out??
ajchadon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchadon84 View Post
Jon I’m having the same issues. I have friends that used to work for the place I bought the trailer and he told me more than likely it’s the sail switch…. Which I’m not going to lie it’s complete crap that after only owning this trailer less than 2 months and we now have to replace things??
Welcome to the forum

Sorry for your trouble so soon in ownership, but it’s not made by Keystone, just installed by them. Make and model of furnace would help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:25 AM   #6
rhagfo

Do your other gas appliances work? Light the stove and let run on high for about 5 minutes, as it takes about 2+ minutes to release the pressure through the stove. If it lights and stays lit then, you furnace has an issue.

Furnaces have a standard start cycle.
Signal from T-stat
Fan starts to purge combustion chamber about 10 to 15 seconds.
If sail switch closes, next step is Gas valve opens, and igniter sparks.

So next test steps is to listen and smell at the exhaust port.

Do you hear the igniter?
Do you smell gas?
If you get either not sail switch.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:56 AM   #7
ASCTLC

And if it's the sail switch instead of simply replacing it with another poor friction replacement try a very small drop of silicone lubricant on the sail to actuator surface and work it a few times before reinstalling it.

Many people have gone that approach successfully never having to throw money at that problem that doesn't just resolve with another poor replacement that has that same poor friction.

I just went through this a month ago and that intermittent issue is resolved. You have little to nothing to lose doing this first - if it's the sail switch and not actualy a gas issue as Russ mentions.

Andy
Old 11-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
ajchadon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Do your other gas appliances work? Light the stove and let run on high for about 5 minutes, as it takes about 2+ minutes to release the pressure through the stove. If it lights and stays lit then, you furnace has an issue.

Furnaces have a standard start cycle.
Signal from T-stat
Fan starts to purge combustion chamber about 10 to 15 seconds.
If sail switch closes, next step is Gas valve opens, and igniter sparks.

So next test steps is to listen and smell at the exhaust port.

Do you hear the igniter?
Do you smell gas?
If you get either not sail switch.
So I hear the igniter but smell no gas. I’m currently in the rv and have the furnace turned off but the fan is still blowing… which doesn’t seem normal to me. I’m still incredibly new to the whole rv life so I am not sure what’s normal and not.
ajchadon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Actually, it's a well-known syndrome for this to happen to a brand new Keystone.

When Keystone puts your trailer together, they don't exactly hire the Merry Maids to vacuum out all the sawdust, lauan chunks, and styro chips that fall behind the wall panels or into cavities that the owner will never see.

Sure enough, the furnace intake is liable to vacuum a bunch of these up from its own doghouse, which get deposited on the sail and take the furnace out of commission.

I had the dealer replace the sail switch under warranty twice for this problem. In my case, the furnace is under the fridge, has no outdoor access, and is a pain to service, so I had them do it. If your furnace has outdoor access, you may do better doing the repair yourself.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
So I hear the igniter but smell no gas. I’m currently in the rv and have the furnace turned off but the fan is still blowing… which doesn’t seem normal to me. I’m still incredibly new to the whole rv life so I am not sure what’s normal and not.
Is it really the furnace fan, or is it the A/C fan? Because some control sets (like inCommand) will allow you to cycle the A/C fan when the furnace is selected.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:43 AM   #11
ChuckS

Quote:
If you are outside at the exhaust you will hear that LP solenoid make a clunk noise IF it is opening during the ignition/LP on stage...

If you don't hear it then either the solenoid has failed OR it isnt getting 12 volts DC from the furnace circuit board

Since your furnace is an AFM35 series Atwood the circuit board has an LED on it.. if you can gain access enough to see the LED with a mirror you can read the fault code and it may help isolate the issue at hand

It is NORMAL for the furnace fan to run an additional 45 seconds or so to purge the combustion chamber if NO FLAME is detected and furnace goes into shut down mode..

I've added a short video clip from my Alpine so you can hear what the LP solenoid will sound like from outside at the furnace exhaust and the igniter IF the solenoid is getting signal to open from the furnace control board

If it opens you will smell a whiff of LP

https://youtu.be/IVybfeWe8zU

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace