Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
WScottS

Pump sucking air with 1/2 full tank.

Greetings and thank you in advance for any assistance.

I have a 2018 Outback 324CG with the arctic package.
We ran out of fresh water way to early last week. Adding more water got us up and running again, but the tank was still 1/2 full and it wasn't what I had planned on doing mid shower. .
I really don't want to tear down the fancy artic barrier without at least an idea of what I'm getting into.
The hose from the pump going to the tank is soft garden hose style. I loose sight of it before it gets to the tank.

Has anyone put eyes on this particular tank?
Is the pump fed from the bottom, or is there a hose/line from the top going into the tank?
I'm open to any suggestions before I start making a bigger mess than I need to.

Thanks again
WScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, look carefully at the inlet fitting on the pump and the pumphead inlet fitting. Sometimes just moving those parts is enough to loosen a worm clamp, crack an older vinyl hose or vibrate loose a snap in fitting. I'd suspect an air leak there to cause the symptoms you are having and it's a LOT easier to rule out the easy to access possibilities before crawling under the trailer with a box cutter, flashlight and a creeper.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree with John. In all my years, I have yet to find a fresh tank that doesn’t have the line going to the pump located at the bottom.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
WScottS

Thanks,
I went thru everything I could see above the floor line and found nothing of note. Once I added more water to the tank, the problem went away and didn't come back until we had used about what I had added.
I guess I know what I'm going to have to do.
Maybe I'll just tell the wife we only have a 30gal tank
Old 09-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Have you verified that the sensors were installed correctly? I have had brand new units come from the factory with the sensor pack hooked up wrong, the tank would read full at 1/3.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #6
WScottS

When we got home yesterday I refilled the tank and then ran the outside hose until the pump was blowing air. Then, I opened the drain valve. I filled a couple 5 gallon buckets before I got bored with that and then just watched it flow. If I had to guess, there was at least 20 gallons left in the 60 gallon tank.

Tags
tank