Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #41
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
Just a note…… can’t believe the dealer wouldn’t want me to get the bigger 1 ton, that would be more money in his pocket, yet told me the 3/4 tone was big enough. Yes yes I know do the math. I will when I can
Go to any store that sells tv's and ask them "what's the best tv you have?". The salesman will tell you themodel that's stacked to the rafters in the back room and not the 2 more expensive models remaining in stock. The same for appliance stores, shoe stores, or ANYTHING being sold. If you chose to believe what comes out of a selesmans mouth as gospel (instead of lioes as most people realize) then good luck. And oh yes I almost forgot, I have some prime mountian land in FL for sale. Interested?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #42
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Go to any store that sells tv's and ask them "what's the best tv you have?". The salesman will tell you themodel that's stacked to the rafters in the back room and not the 2 more expensive models remaining in stock. The same for appliance stores, shoe stores, or ANYTHING being sold. If you chose to believe what comes out of a selesmans mouth as gospel (instead of lioes as most people realize) then good luck. And oh yes I almost forgot, I have some prime mountian land in FL for sale. Interested?
Hey Marshall that sounds like my ocean front property in Arizona that you can see from your mountain top & I'll sell it at a bargain price today only!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #43
Tireman9

Quote:
Just had tread separation on one of my original tires are Sailun brand (They’re made in China) Changed to the spare but the wife wants all new tires. Any recommendations for my 420RL 2019. What brand do you recommend? I have ST235/80R 16G size tires

Are you sure the failure was a Tread Separation or was it a belt Separation or was it a sidewall run low flex failure? Each of these conditions has a different cause. Can you post pictures or PM pictures of the failed tire to me?

RE "Made in China" Is that what is says on the tire. I thought Sailun were made in Vietnam but that might be different for your specific size.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Whoever told you that 1) is full of you know what and 2) doesn't have a clue how those things correlate to "carrying" a heavier load - I've owned/own both.

Those brakes and springs give you more "carrying" capacity. So do the heavier brakes - bigger hub, bigger load bearing capacity....as well as stopping capacity. And the list would go on. Axle ratios is pure BS if they said that, depending on engine/tranny combo you can get the same ratios in both.

As others have said if you are loaded at 16k, or even have the possibility of doing so, you have WAY to little truck. I wouldn't pull a 13k trailer with my Ram 2500, I can't imagine traveling the way you have....even if you have had "great" trips. That great "karma" will come around one day.....
Well it is statements like “You have WAY to little truck” that alienates some who come to this forum for help. The OP came looking for assistance with a tire issue on his 5er. Then it was noted that he is pulling/carrying a 16,350# GVWR 5er and we dropped the tire issue and got all over the TV being a Ram 2500.
Can the Ram pull it, that is a big YES, 19,000#+ towing capacity.
Can it carry it, well there is the question, depending on actual pin weight and how he loads the 5er, he could be a bit to a lot over GVWR.
That 5er has a listed DRY weight of 12,030# and a payload of 4,320#, so if only loaded with 2,000# and 14,030# GVW, pin would be between about 2,800# to 3,500#.
The OP believes it tows fine, and it may, but the issue may become if in an accident, even not listed at fault, may have a lawyer file a lawsuit placing him at least partially at fault and suing for damages, due to the overweight condition.

The best thing the OP can do is hit the scales, he might also find the issue with the 5er tires.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #45
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
WHAT the hell are YOU talking about & to whom????
Well that joke sailed right over your head.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #46
JDDilly

The OP mentioned safety with quality tires. However the biggest safety issue he faces is his TV. He opened that door.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well it is statements like “You have WAY to little truck” that alienates some who come to this forum for help. The OP came looking for assistance with a tire issue on his 5er. Then it was noted that he is pulling/carrying a 16,350# GVWR 5er and we dropped the tire issue and got all over the TV being a Ram 2500.
Can the Ram pull it, that is a big YES, 19,000#+ towing capacity.
Can it carry it, well there is the question, depending on actual pin weight and how he loads the 5er, he could be a bit to a lot over GVWR.
That 5er has a listed DRY weight of 12,030# and a payload of 4,320#, so if only loaded with 2,000# and 14,030# GVW, pin would be between about 2,800# to 3,500#.
The OP believes it tows fine, and it may, but the issue may become if in an accident, even not listed at fault, may have a lawyer file a lawsuit placing him at least partially at fault and suing for damages, due to the overweight condition.

The best thing the OP can do is hit the scales, he might also find the issue with the 5er tires.

In reality, a 16k trailer in a 3/4 ton truck is far too heavy. IF telling someone that they are overweight (using the hypothetical numbers that have been posted) and someone is "alienated" because they did not, or will not, do their homework it's unfortunate but needs to be said and the homework needs to be done.

Now just because you drove overweight for years and became accustomed to it doesn't mean everyone (or anyone) should - whether "a bit or a lot". If there's a shark in the water hopefully someone would tell them "there's a shark in the water" instead of.."maybe it's a dolphin" without that person becoming "alienated".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:24 AM   #48
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In reality, a 16k trailer in a 3/4 ton truck is far too heavy. IF telling someone that they are overweight (using the hypothetical numbers that have been posted) and someone is "alienated" because they did not, or will not, do their homework it's unfortunate but needs to be said and the homework needs to be done.

Now just because you drove overweight for years and became accustomed to it doesn't mean everyone (or anyone) should - whether "a bit or a lot". If there's a shark in the water hopefully someone would tell them "there's a shark in the water" instead of.."maybe it's a dolphin" without that person becoming "alienated".
Well Danny, I guess I then have experience towing over GVWR which likely makes me better qualified to speak on the dangers.

Yes I towed a 12,360# GVWR 5er with a 2001 Ram 2500 with Camper Package and a GVWR of 8,800#. In the end with the 5er connected the TV scaled 10,500#, and rear axle was 5, 800# on a weight rating of 6,084# and a tire capacity of 6,800#.
Yes, I was over the GVWR rating, but not over tire rating. I wasn't concerned with the truck failing, I was concerned with getting in an accident and getting sued NOT for being at fault, but being 1,700# over the trucks GVWR.

I was not even considering a 3500 SRW, as even with a 2013 Ram or newer with a 12,300# GVWR I considered that a lateral move still only two tires under the load, and my math put me close to max GVWR again. We used 1,400# of payload on the new to us 2016 Ram 3500 GVWR before we hitched up. Most of the rigs we looked at had about 4,200# of payload, less 1,400# of us and the in bed tool box left 2,800# just about my current pin weight!!

Towing with an overloaded TV with a 5er, will likely never tell you are overloaded unless you run over a scale, it goes back to a statement I have made before. The Best feature of towing a 5er is also it's worst feature, as it is VERY Stable even when overloaded.

So once again to the OP, scale your setup and post the weights, the decision to tow over GVWR is yours, just keep in mind that there can be legal ramifications in involved in an accident while over GVWR.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well Danny, I guess I then have experience towing over GVWR which likely makes me better qualified to speak on the dangers.

Yes I towed a 12,360# GVWR 5er with a 2001 Ram 2500 with Camper Package and a GVWR of 8,800#. In the end with the 5er connected the TV scaled 10,500#, and rear axle was 5, 800# on a weight rating of 6,084# and a tire capacity of 6,800#.
Yes, I was over the GVWR rating, but not over tire rating. I wasn't concerned with the truck failing, I was concerned with getting in an accident and getting sued NOT for being at fault, but being 1,700# over the trucks GVWR.

I was not even considering a 3500 SRW, as even with a 2013 Ram or newer with a 12,300# GVWR I considered that a lateral move still only two tires under the load, and my math put me close to max GVWR again. We used 1,400# of payload on the new to us 2016 Ram 3500 GVWR before we hitched up. Most of the rigs we looked at had about 4,200# of payload, less 1,400# of us and the in bed tool box left 2,800# just about my current pin weight!!

Towing with an overloaded TV with a 5er, will likely never tell you are overloaded unless you run over a scale, it goes back to a statement I have made before. The Best feature of towing a 5er is also it's worst feature, as it is VERY Stable even when overloaded.

So once again to the OP, scale your setup and post the weights, the decision to tow over GVWR is yours, just keep in mind that there can be legal ramifications in involved in an accident while over GVWR.

^^^^And THIS is the bottom line of what we try to say in virtually all conversations about weight, it is the ONLY definitive way to know what you have, without you simply have to use the gvwr because there are folks the DO load up to the max. As has been mentioned, increasing tire load capacity does not increase anything but peace of mind,
Old 08-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #50
Mroe67

Ended up at a tire store in Bangor Maine. All the had were China made tires. Ended up with Trailer King 14 ply RV tires. Will have to wait and see how they do. $900 for 4.
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #51
Roper46

My new 5er came with Trailer King tires made in Viet Nam. Don't plan to keep them more than a year.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:53 AM   #52
Mroe67

Thanks to all who have given there two cents worth regarding the truck/RV weight issue. Yes I will get it all weighed and worked out safety wise. I’m presently in the middle of my second trip from Arizona to Maine in this rig. So I just can’t stop and trade in my 3/4 for a one ton. But I will do the weighing in when I get to a scale. So can we get back to my original question in this forum as to what is the best tire? I ended up getting stuck with what the main tire dealer in Bangor had which was Trailer King. In other forums some people praised them other people had problems with them. In any case I went with them as they were rated 14 ply and specifically RV rated. I guess I’ll just have to head down the road and see how they perform for me. Again, thanks to all who chimed in.

Note: found this link,
https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/da...Ram%202500.pdf
Mine is a Ram 2500 short bed 4x4 Cummins Turbo diesel

I wish you luck with the truck/rv and the new tires. When the subject or safety arose and with that large of a trailer on a 3/4 ton the topic swerved in that direction due to what would appear to be a very large overload situation. We have so many new folks that ask about weights and so many that don't understand them that it just naturally gets considered in a conversation. The chart you linked to confirmed that the payload on diesel short bed 4x4 CC would be in the 2300 lb. range which is not enough for that trailer.....although that engine will pull it all day long. As far as towing it all those miles, that's the way it is when doing something that stretches the limits of anything; everything is hunky dory until it isn't. Like I've told others before, I've done it and the only way I knew when "it wasn't hunky dory" anymore was when I woke up.....some don't.

Keep the conversation in mind as you travel and don't forget to scale as soon as you can. It's understandable you can't just stop and get a new truck mid trip. Just keep the tires aired up (truck and RV) and keep an eye on them. Don't remember if you said if you had a TPMS or not but if you don't get one as soon as you can.....especially with TK tires. About those TKs;

I don't like TKs because of their terrible reliability in my experience. Others have had those same experiences. Like you said, some others haven't had issues. I think you will find that will be on smaller, lighter trailers generally. From everything I've been able to ascertain the problems with TKs are multi faceted but one of the primary drivers is quality control. Let's hope you got a good batch. I'm partial to Sailun and haven't had issues. Don't know if you read in another thread about the new Carlisle CSL 16 steel tires. I've had good luck with Carlisles as well and think they will probably be my next set unless bad news starts coming in. Have a safe trip.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
Old 08-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #53
Mroe67

That’s what is confusing on these forums. You get half the people that just love the item and had no problems, then the other half that have had issues and think the item is garbage. So I’m beginning to believe it’s just a crap shoot. Thanks for the advise though. I do have a remote tire monitoring system for the RV tires. That’s what alerted me that I was loosing air. I do hope I got a “good batch” of the new tires. I will for sure keep a close eye on them and their pressure. The dealer said they are under warranty and get them replaced at any dealer who handles that brand. Again a crap shoot. Thanks again to all for all the advice and tips
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #54
Javi

Once you start looking for advice on brand of.... you have crossed over into dangerous places and have entered Opinionville a nasty place to live.

BTW the Tow kings should last a year or two, but I buy new tires for my 5th wheel every 2 years anyway... I call it cheap insurance.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks to all who have given there two cents worth regarding the truck/RV weight issue. Yes I will get it all weighed and worked out safety wise. I’m presently in the middle of my second trip from Arizona to Maine in this rig. So I just can’t stop and trade in my 3/4 for a one ton. But I will do the weighing in when I get to a scale. So can we get back to my original question in this forum as to what is the best tire? I ended up getting stuck with what the main tire dealer in Bangor had which was Trailer King. In other forums some people praised them other people had problems with them. In any case I went with them as they were rated 14 ply and specifically RV rated. I guess I’ll just have to head down the road and see how they perform for me. Again, thanks to all who chimed in.

I wish you luck with the truck/rv and the new tires. When the subject or safety arose and with that large of a trailer on a 3/4 ton the topic swerved in that direction due to what would appear to be a very large overload situation. We have so many new folks that ask about weights and so many that don't understand them that it just naturally gets considered in a conversation. The chart you linked to confirmed that the payload on diesel short bed 4x4 CC would be in the 2300 lb. range which is not enough for that trailer.....although that engine will pull it all day long. As far as towing it all those miles, that's the way it is when doing something that stretches the limits of anything; everything is hunky dory until it isn't. Like I've told others before, I've done it and the only way I knew when "it wasn't hunky dory" anymore was when I woke up.....some don't.

Keep the conversation in mind as you travel and don't forget to scale as soon as you can. It's understandable you can't just stop and get a new truck mid trip. Just keep the tires aired up (truck and RV) and keep an eye on them. Don't remember if you said if you had a TPMS or not but if you don't get one as soon as you can.....especially with TK tires. About those TKs;

I don't like TKs because of their terrible reliability in my experience. Others have had those same experiences. Like you said, some others haven't had issues. I think you will find that will be on smaller, lighter trailers generally. From everything I've been able to ascertain the problems with TKs are multi faceted but one of the primary drivers is quality control. Let's hope you got a good batch. I'm partial to Sailun and haven't had issues. Don't know if you read in another thread about the new Carlisle CSL 16 steel tires. I've had good luck with Carlisles as well and think they will probably be my next set unless bad news starts coming in. Have a safe trip.

The above comment I made to Mroe should have been made via a quote, instead I mistakenly hit the edit button showing I edited the post. I did not change anything in the original post (did not edit). Sorry for any confusion it may have caused, just wanted to clarify.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #56
CWtheMan

Quote:
That’s what is confusing on these forums. You get half the people that just love the item and had no problems, then the other half that have had issues and think the item is garbage. So I’m beginning to believe it’s just a crap shoot.
Welcome to modern America. We are almost a half and half country. (OH! Once upon a time I smoked Half&Half - LOL!)
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #57
rhagfo

Quote:

Well looking at
The Ram Body builder as Danny stated about 2,300# pay load and about 3,000# before you reach rear GAWR, but until you address the TV situation is check your tire weight rating against your rear axle rating, be sure you have enough tire!
Good luck at the scales and with the truck hunt.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #58
CWtheMan

Quote:
Well looking at
The Ram Body builder as Danny stated about 2,300# pay load and about 3,000# before you reach rear GAWR, but until you address the TV situation is check your tire weight rating against your rear axle rating, be sure you have enough tire!
Good luck at the scales and with the truck hunt.
The sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle’s certification label (tire information placard).
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:44 AM   #59
ChuckS

Quote:
Ended up at a tire store in Bangor Maine. All the had were China made tires. Ended up with Trailer King 14 ply RV tires. Will have to wait and see how they do. $900 for 4.
You had a very good tire initially “Sailun” …. You installed Trailer King STR 14 ply..

I wish you well with those tires… you would have been better going to what I suggested originally..

Hope you have good luck with your choice

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle’s certification label (tire information placard).
I think what Russ was cautioning about was this:

The RAWR is 6000 pounds. The OP is likely going to be over payload and over RAWR. Russ stated, "...check your tire weight rating against your rear axle rating, be sure you have enough tire"

The "caution from Russ" was (the way I read it): Since you're over your payload max AND likely over your RAWR, check your tires to make sure that you're not ALSO over the tire maximum weight capacity.....

It's very possible the OP is not only over in two rating maximums, but also in a third (the tires).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote