Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
Vinnie

"Hey Dad..." (nothing good comes of this)

"What's this thing? It doesn't do anything when I twist it"

Bottom compartment of gas fridge panel. Looked in the manual and it showed it in some pictures, but nothing ever said what the little electrified valve (?) thing actually is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_193503.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	34300  
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post

Bottom compartment of gas fridge panel. Looked in the manual and it showed it in some pictures, but nothing ever said what the little electrified valve (?) thing actually is.
Looks like a gas valve/ regulator for the refrigerator with a solenoid valve actuator..wouldn’t mess with it (don’t twist it)
Old 06-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

That is the gas valve for the fridge. As stated leave it alone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Looks like a gas valve/ regulator for the refrigerator with a solenoid valve actuator..wouldn’t mess with it
Ok so if it was already "messed with," how do I know where it oughta be. I never shot a pic of that compartment, so I don't know what the "starting position" should be.

I just fired up the gas part of the fridge for the first time- getting air out of the lines- and it was open, but I don't know if it looked different before.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Ok so if it was already "messed with," how do I know where it oughta be. I never shot a pic of that compartment, so I don't know what the "starting position" should be.

I just fired up the gas part of the fridge for the first time- getting air out of the lines- and it was open, but I don't know if it looked different before.
If the fridge lit, your ok.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:

Quote:

Gas valves can’t be adjusted properly without a manometer and some knowledge of the operating parameters of the refrigerator..I imagine it was set at the factory and really isn’t something you would ever need to touch.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If the fridge lit, your ok.
I can hear a fire going in the flame box, and the fridge isn't throwing any errors... so, don't kill him? He's my "button pusher" kid. We're a bit nervous to let him sleep on the top bunk, because that's where all the mechanisms and pulleys/latches/levers are for the garage stuff
Old 06-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

This just begs the question, why are you in there and why would you twist it if you don't know what it is or what it's for?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #9
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This just begs the question, why are you in there and why would you twist it if you don't know what it is or what it's for?
Fair question- I was in there because I just first-time fired up the fridge on gas instead of electric, and it was throwing an error. I opened the panel to 1) look for a switch or something, like on the water heater, and 2) listen for any evidence of flame.

When I walked back inside to check the manual and troubleshoot the error code, that's when I heard the autistic teenager with impulse control issues hollering from outside. He soon after realized the black pipe was super hot, and removed his paw.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I have an autistic nephew that's 22 now. He can't be left alone for a moment without getting into something. God Bless you and your family.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
notanlines

Yes, the term 'autistic' certainly sheds another light on your situation. DW spent 10 years teaching SPED in Shelby County School System. After retiring from the Federal Prison System (25 years) she would have probably worked for free. Those were HER kids.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Fair question- I was in there because I just first-time fired up the fridge on gas instead of electric, and it was throwing an error. I opened the panel to 1) look for a switch or something, like on the water heater, and 2) listen for any evidence of flame.

When I walked back inside to check the manual and troubleshoot the error code, that's when I heard the autistic teenager with impulse control issues hollering from outside. He soon after realized the black pipe was super hot, and removed his paw.
Sorry I misunderstood the post…I thought you Just randomly started twisting things under the fridge..it didn’t make much sense but after explaining it further I totally understand
Old 06-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #13
LHaven

The assembly is mounted to a rigid standoff underneath, and a rigid pipe off to the left, so I'm not sure in what direction it could possibly be twisted even if you tried. Unless he twisted the solenoid relative to the valve; you might be able to square it back up, or if the fridge works, just leave it alone. Would be worth testing the joint with soapy water in either case.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:20 AM   #14
goodellj

I have something very similar-looking on my refrigerator. When the camper was brand new it would not operate on propane. I opened up the panel and traced the propane supply line and saw this little valve. Before taking it for service I tried the valve and voila! I haven't touched it since.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #15
WDPatterson

That may be the safety valve that shuts off the gas if the igniter doesn't light. As someone else said, get some soapy water and make sure it's not leaking. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

By the way, I am so refreshed to see that there are servants on this page. People who have served their community, people who understand other people's hardships. It's important to be compassionate. Thank You, ALL !!
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
rlh1957

There is a dc 12v power going to fridge that fires the igniter for the flame… it does go to a switch/solenoid that opens and fires igniter when fridge is switched for gad operation.
It will try to light off a couple of times and if no light ie: no gas or other issue it stops a throws error code.
If it lights off you’re fine.
You can always try the soapy water test on the gas joints if you suspect any leaks. Sometimes soapy water tests show leaks before you smell it.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:43 AM   #17
ASCTLC

Others already answered the "what is it" question so no need for me to rehash it.

But... If the fridge failed to start and threw a code the first time you tried to run it on gas it's likely due to it simply the lack of sufficient gas reaching the fridge during the first round of auto start tries. As you found, the fridge will fault out if it doesn't start in the predetermined number of tries by shutting off that gas valve you identified. It's a safety that prevents gas continuing to flow when it is not lit to be burned.

When I prep my campers at the start of a season I have a habit of turning on a stove burner and ensuring it lights before trying the fridge. That way I know I have propane through those long empty lines and close to the fridge before I have it start trying. Even then I've had it try a round of start tries, stop for a number of seconds then try another round of tries before it starts successfully.

Obviously, the closer the stove is to the fridge the quicker the fridge starts after first getting a stove burner to burn. One camper (KZ Durango) had a fridge a decent distance from the stove and I knew it would completely fault out once before it finally got the gas all the way to the fridge. I'd get a stove burner to light, then turn on the fridge, just let it fault out trying to start, turn it completely off, then let it go through it's start up routine again. Only had to do it on first prep after a winter of storage, once the gas got there for the season it was enough to get it running within a number of auto start tries but before it faulted out completely.

Just one of those camper experiences you get familiar with that may be a little unique to your camper model based on layout.

Further: that Durango had a rear kitchen and it would take a good 10-15 seconds of holding a lit lighter to the stove burner before gas would eventually reach it, then even longer before the gas reached the fridge. That camper layout made it obvious to recognize the way that system worked.
ASCTLC is offline   Reply With Quote