Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #21
LZScout

Welcome to the fold! We did about the same thin in 2013 when we bought our 2013 Alpine 3250RL and 2012 F350 4x4, SRW. Pulls great!. No issues. Now you get to outfit yours with all the things you need.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #22
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Welcome from NH
Welcome from my part of NH too!

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #23
richardshore1

I agree with the caution re pin weight. According to the brochure our pin weight was 584 lbs. When we suspected we were over our 1/2 ton truck payload of 1387 lbs we had the pin weighed with the trailer not loaded with food, clothes or water and we were at 900lbs. With a driver, passenger, dog, golf clubs etc in the truck we were over payload significantly. We then traded a 6 month old 1/2 ton for a 1 ton. Expensive lesson. I see so many 1/2 tons towing 30 foot plus bumper pull trailers and know they are over payload based on my recent research which saw a truck upgrade.
Richard
richardshore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #24
Mikelff

Happy camping. Beautiful rig. I would recommend reading through the forum on key topics like true payload weight and how to calculate your weights using a CAT scale. Look for the PDI check lists when you go through your walk through at your dealer so you have a better idea of what to look for and what questions you might ask. Get yourself a good water pressure regulator with a gauge on it. They are typically adjustable. There are lots of additional things you will need so best to do as much research as you can going through all the topics on the forum. Most of all HAVE FUN!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #25
dav6662

Again thanks to all for the welcoming comments.....
dav6662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #26
rbrdriver

Definatly dually territory. I pull a similar trailer with mine and would not do it with anything less than a dually.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #27
ptpick

What a nice setup... Lookout for the weight police they are going to get ya'. You will be fine!!!
ptpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpick View Post
What a nice setup... Lookout for the weight police they are going to get ya'. You will be fine!!!
I would ask you (and anyone reading this) to please challenge the statements by the "weight police" with a valid argument that invalidates what "they" have stated. Thought so.

I guess it boild down to who you believe. You can beleive the salesman, you know, the guy who's got his hand in you're pocket telling you that "your truck can tow anything on the lot"? The guy who's reaching deeper in your pocket telling you to buy the fabric protectant, the paint protectant, the extended warranty,? The guy wearing all the nice gold jewelry with the pretty smile that want's to KEEP his hand in your pocket by getting you to "lower your payments" by offering you a fantastic 10 year term on the loan? The guy who's most li8kely never towed a trailer or spent a single night in one? That guy?

Or do you want to believe the "squad" who's got nothing to gain by offering advice in attempt at saving someone from making the same mistake that they most likely made when they were inexperienced? The guy who's more than likely oldrer, has had many decades towing various brands and types trailers, most likely driven many hundres of thousands of miles and seen what towing overloaded can result in? Personally, I'm proud to be associated with the guys that are willing to spend their time, to be called names and occasionaly told that they are crazy because the salesman that sold them the truck and the salesman that sold them the trailer told them that "they were good to go", while laughing all the way to the bank.

So hopefully I'm one of the "weight police" you refrenced because it's a lable I wear proudly.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley8065 View Post
Actually pin is 2595. So 4K is maybe a little high.
Sir, the 2595 lbs you mention is a Keystone spec based on an empty trailer with no propane tanks and no cargo and well, nothing. The actual pin weigh will be 23 percent of the trailers gross weight. The actual pin weight if fully loaded will be 3450 lbs; add cargo, passengers, hitch, and whatever and the actual load on the truck will be about 4K or perhaps more. A high end F350 usually has the least payload due 4x4, diesel and geegaws associated with that model. Just trying to think about some safety and since the OP didn't respond, well good luck. Morley8065, read the zillions of posts where people assume factory specs or salespeople are accurate ways to determine if a family is safe towing a specific trailer with a specific TV.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #30
grahamg

I have a 2020 F350 long bed, quad cab, SRW , with 3.55 gears with a 6.7 diesel which pulls a Alpine 3851Rd with a advertised pin weight of 2745lbs which I realize this is low compared to what it comes out to be when all dressed and ready to go. The truck is rated at 4561 GVWR and so far with 6 trips under my belt all has gone well. I do feel like a tractor trailer sometimes. The total length when hooked up is about 59'!
grahamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #31
dav6662

I do like how I was asked to introduce myself, which I did. I did not ask for anyone’s advice as there are other places within this forum to ask such advice, yet people are people. Most welcomed me and said welcoming things, but then there are those that just can’t help themselves in offering unsolicited opinions. Thanks for the entertaining comments from those offering “advice.” And thank you to all those who have welcomed me to this fine forum. I hope when I do need help and advice I will ask it in the appropriate place and will get good info.
dav6662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post
I do like how I was asked to introduce myself, which I did. I did not ask for anyone’s advice as there are other places within this forum to ask such advice, yet people are people. Most welcomed me and said welcoming things, but then there are those that just can’t help themselves in offering unsolicited opinions. Thanks for the entertaining comments from those offering “advice.” And thank you to all those who have welcomed me to this fine forum. I hope when I do need help and advice I will ask it in the appropriate place and will get good info.

If you have followed the forum one of the things members do is try to watch out for folks buying new trailers either obviously oversized for their truck or possibly marginal. The information is not solicited by the OP but is offered as a help/warning/caution for those that don't have any idea.....of which we have had many.

In addition, threads tend to go "this and that" way and, as in this case, posts are made that sort of redirect the conversation from your initial post and take on a short life of their own. It happens frequently. Once that starts sift through the "additional, possibly unrelated" info and take what you need.

Going forward post any questions or worries in the appropriate forum and I'm sure they will be answered. BTW, I looked at the 3120/3121 but would not buy it without a diesel, and with the payload of a SRW it required a dually, so it was off my list. Just a thought.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #33
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Or do you want to believe the "squad" who's got nothing to gain by offering advice in attempt at saving someone from making the same mistake that they most likely made when they were inexperienced?
And nothing to lose by welcoming a new member to their campfire and staying off the pulpit until they have developed a personal connection with them?
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #34
malcod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post
Kind sir - don’t be to hard on those offering advise, especially ones that are “alerting “ you to view your circumstances on the weights.
“Why” - cause I just made the same dam mistake on weights. Never gave it any thought before in my trailering life, but this forum made me think and investigate. Sure enough my new “Half-Ton towable “ cougar 30rls will be over my GVWR for my 09 GMC Sierra 2500hd diesel. Sure, I can pull that sucker easily, BUT, the GVWR of the truck is what it can “safely” handle, probably braking being biggest issue?
But stress on other parts of vehicle being as well. I’ve chatted with Sask Gvt Ins snd they reminded me if in an accident, and a reconstruction person investigated and deemed the vehicle overloaded, no insurance , some hungry lawyers lined up to pick my pockets, and if a fatality, maybe even criminal charges. And I haven’t mentioned endangering my partner or my grandkids.
It just isn’t worth the gamble . I bet 50% of the rv’ers on the highway are pushing or over limit.
I can’t wait to go p/u my new rv and show my salesman who swore up snd down I was ok, the letter from Sask Gvt Ins. It was a tough pill for me to swallow, but when I look at what I have to loose or cost somebody else, I’m not taking any chance.
I prob have a small excuse to get out of the deal, but have chose to replace vehicle instead. Your the boss of your own circumstances.
I offer this unsolicited personal experience of mine, snd encourage you to be aware of the weights. Talk to the people that insure you, not the people that have everything to gain.
Sorry for the long wind and now I will shut the hell up. Oh, and best of luck and happy RVing!
malcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #35
Big1

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:49 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
And nothing to lose by welcoming a new member to their campfire and staying off the pulpit until they have developed a personal connection with them?
I disagree, I would stand to loose my consious by not alerting someone to a possible danger. What are you suggesting? Should I wait until we become "good buddies' or just casual aquaintences? Should I make a note on my calender to "circle back" and raise the awarenes? What's the "proper time frame" for this etiqutte?

I'll leave you with this analogy. Let's say I'm walking theu thye campground and I see a new camper and truck with an obviously inexperienced first time camper about to unhitch his travel trailer. As I approach I notice the trailer tires are not chocked and the trailer is on a fairly steep decline towards the truck. If the camper disconnects from the hitch it most likely will roll forward possibly injuring or even killing him. He waves, says "Hi! My name is Bob!" just as he's reaching to raise the tongue jack as he stands inbetween the truck amd trailer. I'm not going to wait for the introductions, the exchange of generalities or whatever other precedence that YOU think is appropriate to "develope a personal connection" before alerting him to the very real possability of the action he's about to take.

You are free to be on the welcoming comity and prioritize making a personal connection . My first priority is safety, then we can get to the howdy do's and ain't life great conversation later. I woud hope that anyone would return the favor if the roles are reversed. That's one of the great things about the forum, we all get to express our ideas and views as long as we do it respectfully.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:27 AM   #37
notanlines

Welcome to the forum from a 'sort of member of the famed weight police.' My main point is to tell as best I can where the member stands weight-wise so the member can deal with it however they choose.
You haven't been given bad advice from the 'weight police' here. Give the whole idea some thought and then run over the CAT scales on your next trip camping. The print-out might surprise you. And it might surprise a couple other members here who think 'you'll be fine.' We all hope you will.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:43 AM   #38
jfk69

Marshall, that’s not even a good analogy. Imminent danger is very different from the perception that it “could” or “May” be an issue. My point was some folks here can’t even say “hello” before starting a lecture. Sorry if I feel that manners have a place that’s being lost in today’s world.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Marshall, that’s not even a good analogy. Imminent danger is very different from the perception that it “could” or “May” be an issue. My point was some folks here can’t even say “hello” before starting a lecture. Sorry if I feel that manners have a place that’s being lost in today’s world.
Well that's your opjnion and as long as we respect that I consider that "good manners" as well. Chastising anyone for their opinion and telling them to "get down from the pulpit" and telling someone not to "start lecturing" IMO is ill mannered. So in my opinion the "manners*" apply when we have disagreements. If you have an issue with me personally I will certianly have a further discussion via PMs.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #40
Bamabox

Welcome to the forum. Great resource for all kinds of questions and issues, especially for a first timer, which I was 3 years ago. It has helped immensely. Just take all the reply’s with a grain of salt, you will learn after a while who some of the folks are with bonefides. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water because you find a few replies irritating. You will learn more here about how to enjoy your camping experiences safely, and economically (avoiding costly mistakes, buying stuff you don’t need, buying stuff you do need etc). And congrats on your beautiful rig.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote