Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2021, 05:21 AM   #1
TheBigPig

Hello

Hello all.

Just purchased a 2017 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite 2400bh in January. This is our first camper, so I'm new to the travel trailer world. Looking forward to learning the ropes. First trip is this coming weekend. I live in Pittsburgh, PA
TheBigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #2
Gegrad

Howdy! Welcome from just east of you in Monroeville.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Fire away with questions. First RV, first trip in a week in a 4 year old RV? Have you gone over the trailer? What kind of tires, how old etc.? Do you have a TPMS system? Do you have a weight distribution hitch with sway control? What is the tow vehicle and is it up for towing? Lots of things to check so that the trip will be uneventful.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #4
TheBigPig

Gegrad, very nice. I used to work up in Monroeville. Not fun on the Parkway east in and out every day at rush hour.

Sourdough, appreciate the questions to be sure I'm prepared. Did a walk through on the TT when purchased and set up the hitch/sway control. Tires are brand new. Towing Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 2.7L Ecoboost (8500 lb towing capacity). No TPMS.

Got the camper pretty well stocked for the first trip and we will add/subtract as needed from there. First order of business is to flush the antifreeze and sterilize my water tank which I plan on doing tomorrow. I've been watching how-to youtube videos, and all seems fairly straight forward.

Any advice on adjusting the brake module to dial it in perfectly? I did not like the aftermarket trailer brake that the dealer put in my truck so I replaced it with an OEM. I'll need to adjust the gain again (dealer did it originally).
Old 04-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
Gary R.

Hello Brandon, and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your RV purchase, and have a good time towing it around.

If any questions arise, the folks here are very knowledgeable and happy to help.

Take care & be safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigPig View Post
Gegrad, very nice. I used to work up in Monroeville. Not fun on the Parkway east in and out every day at rush hour.

Sourdough, appreciate the questions to be sure I'm prepared. Did a walk through on the TT when purchased and set up the hitch/sway control. Tires are brand new. Towing Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 2.7L Ecoboost (8500 lb towing capacity). No TPMS.

Got the camper pretty well stocked for the first trip and we will add/subtract as needed from there. First order of business is to flush the antifreeze and sterilize my water tank which I plan on doing tomorrow. I've been watching how-to youtube videos, and all seems fairly straight forward.

Any advice on adjusting the brake module to dial it in perfectly? I did not like the aftermarket trailer brake that the dealer put in my truck so I replaced it with an OEM. I'll need to adjust the gain again (dealer did it originally).
OK... the tires as has been mentioned. The problem with a 2017 is that you may have a camper with the original tires. On the side of the side is an OVAL that has the week of manufacture and year so 3617 means the 36th week in 2017. I bet your tires are pushing 5 years old and most folks will swap tires every three years for safety sake. What brand of tire and size? Next, look at your battery. Is there a sold date on the battery? If not, it might be prudent to buy a new one especially if you operate stuff (like the slide outs) on battery before finding a power pedestal. I would also HIGHLY recommend an EMS, that is an electric management system. You can install in the trailer or at your power pedestal and plug into the EMS. I use a Progressive 30A EMS. It is NOT just a surge protector. Also, depending on where you camp, the water pressure may be high; get a water pressure regulator you put inline with your city water input. Get a good one. Last, keep all food that is in cupboards and draws, etc. in critter proof containers. Mice, ants and other creepy crawly critters lover campers. Test your heat and A/C BEFORE you go and make sure you know how to use the hot water heater. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
Gegrad

Quote:

Ah, yeah, when I was commuting I was heading east and coming back out west, as my office is out in Westmoreland County, so thankfully I don't have to go anywhere near the Parkway on weekdays.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #9
dutchmensport

Congrats on the new camper. Hopefully, you've had time to try a few driveway camps so you can get familiar and comfortable with your new camper so you don't have any unpleasant surprised when you are "out there."

It does take time to get comfortable with a new camper of any type. It takes time to get comfortable towing, backing, setting up, tearing down, cleaning the unit, and using it in all kinds of weather and environments. It's a constant learning experience, so don't get to "rattled" when things don't go exactly as you anticipated. Instead, embrace it all, good moments, funny moments, even stressful driving, or mechanical failures. Repairs, modifications, changes, enhancements, fixes, adjustments are all part of RV ownership. Embrace it all. And love every moment of it.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Hello all.

Just purchased a 2017 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite 2400bh in January. This is our first camper, so I'm new to the travel trailer world. Looking forward to learning the ropes. First trip is this coming weekend. I live in Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome from Western New York and congratulations on the new camper!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:44 AM   #11
TheBigPig

WiredGeorge,

The tires are brand new Power King Tow Max STR ST205/75R14. One of the things I demanded when purchasing was new tires. Battery, I was told was newer, but I didn't actually look for a date on it. I did buy a pressure regulator, so I'm good there. I'll look into the EMS, thanks for the suggestion. Maiden voyage is this weekend, and the weather looks great, I'll mess with the AC/Heat/HWT to be sure I've got it all figured out.

Really appreciate the input so far from everyone.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:55 AM   #12
Sarge2

from S.E. Michigan... Enjoy your travels!
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote