Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Michael7S

Hello from California in our 2014 3495FL

This is our first 5th wheel and this forum has already been helpful.

We bought it a few weeks ago and will have to use it dry-camp (boondocking?) on weekends until we can get power back to the property.

You should have seen us hunting around with flashlights on our first night trying to find the switches to turn things on, run out the slides!

First night, I learned those two 87ah interstate marine batteries didn't last the night running the furnace lightly. So I ordered two "Vmax" 224ah 6v AGM batteries to install next time I'm up there. Boy they're heavy! I ordered one 100w solar panel and charge controller to keep topped off.

I found a 12v socket in the living room, and have hopes to route a 12v supply to somewhere near the kitchen table. Hope it isn't too hard.

I hope there are a few other 3495FL owners here who I can ask some newbie model-specific questions of.

Thanks for the forum!

-Michael7S
Michael7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:47 AM   #2
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:48 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael7S View Post
This is our first 5th wheel and this forum has already been helpful.

We bought it a few weeks ago and will have to use it dry-camp (boondocking?) on weekends until we can get power back to the property.

You should have seen us hunting around with flashlights on our first night trying to find the switches to turn things on, run out the slides!

First night, I learned those two 87ah interstate marine batteries didn't last the night running the furnace lightly. So I ordered two "Vmax" 224ah 6v AGM batteries to install next time I'm up there. Boy they're heavy! I ordered one 100w solar panel and charge controller to keep topped off.

I found a 12v socket in the living room, and have hopes to route a 12v supply to somewhere near the kitchen table. Hope it isn't too hard.

I hope there are a few other 3495FL owners here who I can ask some newbie model-specific questions of.

Thanks for the forum!

-Michael7S
Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Gary R.

Hello and welcome aboard!

Congrats on your purchase of the 3495FL! We own one as well, and like it!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #5
Marke

Welcome from South Mississippi.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
Big1

Welcome from WA.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
foldbak

Welcome from Sacramento CA

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
Sarge2

from Michigan.... enjoy!
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
Gegrad

Welcome from Pennsylvania!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
Michael7S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Hello and welcome aboard!

Congrats on your purchase of the 3495FL! We own one as well, and like it!

Take care!
Gary - Thanks. You OK if I ask you a few newbie questions? (like... where is the circuit breaker panel? We've been hunting for hours. ) Perhaps direct message or such?

Hope so!

-Michael7S
Old 01-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #11
Texas Steve

Michael, Your power center with the 120VAC breakers and the 12vDC should look like the picture below
Attached Images

Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #12
Michael7S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Michael, Your power center with the 120VAC breakers and the 12vDC should look like the picture below
Thanks Steve. We've opened every cabinet and door so far, crawled underneath and pulled on every panel. I'm sure it's obvious, but we'll keep lookin' next time we are at the RV!
Old 01-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
Gary R.

Hello Michael,

As you go in the entry door, you'll notice the "breakfast bar". On the face of this, you'll see the switch panel, and on the side facing aft, near the bottom, there is a door that opens to provides access to the breakers. Please note the kitchen slide must be open.

The image Texas Steve posted is what you will find behind that door.

Hope this helps,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #14
Camping family

Enjoy the life of freedom from Nc.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #15
Michael7S

Quote:
Hello Michael,

As you go in the entry door, you'll notice the "breakfast bar". On the face of this, you'll see the switch panel, and on the side facing aft, near the bottom, there is a door that opens to provides access to the breakers. Please note the kitchen slide must be open.

The image Texas Steve posted is what you will find behind that door.

Hope this helps,

Gary
It helps immensely Gary (and Texas Steve)! Thank you. I think pushing the slide out would be key! I'll attach an image below with the red arrow pointing to where I think you are referring. The check box is the plain panel with light switches. But I'll look in that cabinet below next time I'm up.

Can I press my luck?

There appear to be speakers built in to the cabinets on either side of the living room tv, We haven't yet found a way to use those. Is there something we missed?

Old 01-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #16
Gary R.

Hello Michael,

Yup your red arrow is pointing to the correct location.

And yes those are speakers above each cabinet. They are part of the surround sound system, and should produce sound when the radio is on and tuned to a radio station.

Hope this helps,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #17
Michael7S

Quote:
Hello Michael,

Yup your red arrow is pointing to the correct location.

And yes those are speakers above each cabinet. They are part of the surround sound system, and should produce sound when the radio is on and tuned to a radio station.

Hope this helps,

Gary
It does help Gary - thanks. We could not find the radio. Only what looked like a standard home DVD player on the shelf. But we'll keep looking. It was in the dark, late at night, it was raining and cold, then the batteries/furnace/lights died (no shore power), so we probably missed a lot that night and the next morning. The hunt will resume!

It was also surprising that one switch controlled both the kitchen and the bedroom slide at once with no obvious option for individual control. Same on yours?

Let's see if anything else we plan will trigger more good advice... .
  • I bought two vmax 225ah 6V batteries to replace the two 12v Interstate marine 87ah batteries of unknown age. I hope they'll fit in there once I haul 'em up.
  • We are predicting there is no built-in inverter (12vdc->110vac) on these and most models, so I'll need to wire one in.
  • I'll be putting one or more Renogy solar panels to keep those new batteries charged.
  • I noticed a 12vdc adapter socket in the cabinet above the TV (yay!). Are there others? If not I'll try to install one near the kitchen table so we can charge laptops, phones etc, without running an inverter.
  • is there a filter that we should maintain for the furnace on the 349FL5? I looked from the inside and will next look from the outside furnace panel.

Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #18
Gary R.

Hello Michael,

The radio supplied is a so-so Samsung unit that is dark and hard to see when not powered up.

Yes one switch controls the kitchen and bedroom slides. They are hydraulic, and the front living room slides are electric (12 volt) cable slides.

The battery tray is 14 1/4 wide by 11 inches deep, so you can measure the batteries you bought to get an idea if they will fit.

There is no 12vdc to 110ac inverter, unless the previous owner installed one.

There is only one 12vdc outlet, as you found.

I don't believe there is a filter for the furnace, although it is not a bad idea.

Couple of other thoughts. You may want to consider the purchase a power conditioner, such as one from Progressive. This will protect your RV from dangerous voltage spikes and mis-wired pedestals. Also, inspect the drain hose on the kitchen sink. They have been known to come off the sink drain as the slide moves.

Take care,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #19
Michael7S

Quote:
Hello Michael,

The radio supplied is a so-so Samsung unit that is dark and hard to see when not powered up.

Yes one switch controls the kitchen and bedroom slides. They are hydraulic, and the front living room slides are electric (12 volt) cable slides.

The battery tray is 14 1/4 wide by 11 inches deep, so you can measure the batteries you bought to get an idea if they will fit.

There is no 12vdc to 110ac inverter, unless the previous owner installed one.

There is only one 12vdc outlet, as you found.

I don't believe there is a filter for the furnace, although it is not a bad idea.

Couple of other thoughts. You may want to consider the purchase a power conditioner, such as one from Progressive. This will protect your RV from dangerous voltage spikes and mis-wired pedestals. Also, inspect the drain hose on the kitchen sink. They have been known to come off the sink drain as the slide moves.

Take care,

Gary

Thanks very much Gary. I will add the sink drain to the list as well as a power conditioner.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:03 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

A furnace filter is a bad idea. They are designed not to have a filter and the manuals will state that. Restricting the airflow by the addition of a filter can make them malfunction and overheat.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote