Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
WilloCo

Dealer service centers are just awful.

I left my 2020 trailer at the local dealer in August for various warranty issues. One of which was a plumbing leak. Thus we left water in the lines along with water in the fresh water tank for them to verify the leak and order parts.

Fast forward nearly 2.5 months later. They are still waiting for parts and let my RV freeze in the meantime. They claim they aren't responsible for the damage. They did manage to thaw the camper out and then winterized it (and charged me over $200 for the job)

As you can imagine, I'm less than thrilled.
I'm extremely tempted to get into it with a lawyer, but honestly I feel it's mostly just a waste of my effort.

Mostly? I'm just frustrated that these people can't take responsibility for their own screwups. I had to call them many, many times and they kept failing to return my calls. When they did finally return my call it was pretty much worthless.

I specifically told them I wouldn't pick up the camper unless the latest broken slide cable was repaired - it's still not. (yet, I was able to get a repair kit in my hands elsewhere within 24 hours when fires were threatening my home)

I suppose I could have the insurance adjuster go after them, but really I can replace the tank and the coroplast underside for far less than my deductible.

Frankly, when I go back for them to complete the repairs (they didn't do anything since 'all the parts for all the repairs hadn't arrived) I'm clearly going to have to babysit the situation.
WilloCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

If you took it in in August and it's now "almost 2 1/2 months later" - is there a time lapse in there somehow?

Some other things to consider; at this time with covid getting parts is a hit and miss thing. Mine was in for repairs for quite some time and some of the parts still weren't in. Told them to fix what they had and I was going to take it for the winter. I would be back in the spring (out of warranty) to complete all the repairs.

Any time I take my trailer in for repairs in the winter the service manager asks me 2 things; has it been winterized and do I want them to winterize it...every time. If they are going to keep it I know it will be outside most of the time and if it isn't winterized I either need to do it beforehand or have them do it. If they didn't ask you and you were unaware that is their bad. Worthy of a lawyer? A waste of time IMO. Not worth the money you are going to expend and throw away.

Don't know your experience with having a dealer work on a trailer but in my experience, no matter how good they are, you need to "babysit" your unit no matter what. If like every dealer I've been to, they are submerged with maintenace requests and if yours is waiting for parts your repair order just sinks further under the pile. You need to constantly check status, have them pull your order and get it back to the top of the pile.

Another thing I would highly suggest as it sounds like this may be your first purchase from the dealer; get to know the management structure NOW - from the service advisor, to the service manager to the owner/GM. More importantly, make sure they know YOU; by face and voice. My folks know all that plus my phone number when it rings them. Having a trailer in for repairs, and especially warranty repairs, is a "hands on" project for the owner no matter what. Good luck in getting the repairs resolved.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Sorry your dealing with a lousy dealership. Im not going to try to defend them, but up until a few months ago I worked at dealerships and I can say there are good ones and some that shouldn't be in business, I have worked for both. I will say once Covid hit all bets were off in the RV business, Factories and suppliers closed and the supply chain just froze. Things started returning in May/June but the factories got first dibs on parts.

I am now at an independent repair facility and the struggle for parts is still a HUGE issue. Like Danny siad, I would have a serious face to face and let them know your expectations. I WOULDNT mention any legal action as that will most likely end in " see ya, have your attorney contact us".

Personally I think they are responsible for any damage done by not winterizing if there is any. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out with a resolution that satisfies both you and the dealership

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilloCo View Post
I left my 2020 trailer at the local dealer in August for various warranty issues. One of which was a plumbing leak. Thus we left water in the lines along with water in the fresh water tank for them to verify the leak and order parts.

You left the trailer in August. When summer turned to fall they should have at least contacted you about winterizing the trailer. Since they didn't complete the repairs before it froze they should take responsibility for any damage done to the trailer while in their possession.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
ChuckS

You will most likely find out you are far better off to educate yourself and learn to do your repairs on your RV and stay out of Dealerships as much as possible...

These places are overloaded... have to deal with waiting times for authorizations to do repair work and then wait for parts to accomplish the authorized repairs..

There are some very good RV Techs in many of the dealership centers but they are at the mercy of management, an unending backlog of repair work, etc

With the excellent experience level of many members on this group and a few basic tools, some basic mechanical and electrical skill sets one would not go wrong in most cases by learning to maintain and repair their RV themselves

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
gearhead

Ask around about independent shops that repair only, no sales. They have to do a somewhat decent repair to stay in business. Maybe visit with management at a couple nearby RV parks. You might ask around about mobil service techs.
*You do not have to use the dealer for warranty repairs. Independent shops are often authorized to warranty repair many components. Ask first though*
Edit add...heck yeah they are responsible for any damage from not winterizing. I really doubt they would let you come winterize it on their lot.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote