Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Rocketsled

Operating with no battery

I’m pulling the batteries out for the winter when I put the trailer in storage this week. I’d like to occasionally visit the trailer throughout the winter, running the ginsent, messing around, killing time. If I plug the trailer into my pick up truck, can I run the GEN set and power of the trailer without hurting anything?
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a red warning sticker next to the slide switches on your control panel. It reads something like this: WARNING, DO NOT OPERATE SLIDES WITHOUT A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY CONNECTED TO THE TRAILER.

The reason for that warning is to protect your converter/charger (in your trailer power center) from damage. The starting load on the slide motors, the landing gear and the leveling system can be greater than the DC output of the converter/charger. If that load is greater, you can "burn out/damage" the converter/charger and shorten its operational life.

So, to answer your question, yes you can start the generator using your truck alternator/battery power through the 7 pin umbilical, provided the starter in the generator is below the rated load of your tow vehicle wiring. Every truck manufacturer has different ratings for their wiring system. There is a fuse in the circuit that "should" protect the truck wiring from damage in the event of overload. However, that truck fuse won't protect the windings in the generator starter from "low voltage/high amperage" delivered by a "too small wire"...

Remember that a "cold soaked generator system" is going to have "super thick oil and require maximum amperage to start when in a cold environment". It's not like "tapping the starter switch on a warmed up generator. You're going to be exposing the truck wiring to "maximum amperage conditions".

Additionally, once the generator is running, don't open the slides or adjust the leveling system/landing gear and you should be OK to "visit the trailer and run the furnace to stay warm".....

If it were me and I wanted to exercise the generator, rather than "use the shortcut and connect the trailer to the tow vehicle to use the 7 pin umbilical" I'd just pick up the generator starting battery from the garage, jumper it to the generator and use the "real starting battery" to start the generator. In other words, why risk overloading the thin wires in the truck wiring harness and the converter/charger in the trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
travelin texans

You could also use jumper cables from the running truck battery to start the generator &/or hook them to the house battery cables to run a slide.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Rocketsled

The hope was to run out the slides, sounds like I’ll need to bring a battery, just not the dual-6v batteries in the box, when I want to go hide out for a bit.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

What about a portable booster pack? I have used mine when our camper is in storage and I want to move the slide out or power some lights. It should be more than enough to start the generator and it is designed to be portable. Mine even has a built-in inverter and air pump.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Rocketsled

So I have one, but it’s of those tiny lithium ion ones that jumpstart cars, I’m not really worried about the generator, I’m worried about the power/inverter/thingy.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #7
AbHDToyHauler

I winter store my batteries on a shelf in a heated shop vey close to where I park my truck. When I need to have batteries present at storage facility I slip batts in box of truck quick strap them down and bring a special set of cables I made along so I can do what I need without lifting back out and into trailer battery box. Works well for me and if I only need generator to run (once per month as recommended ) then I bring the generator single. 12v only battery to run Genset
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
The hope was to run out the slides, sounds like I’ll need to bring a battery, just not the dual-6v batteries in the box, when I want to go hide out for a bit.
In the past when I had the camper stored with no shore power here's what I did. I always keep a good set of jumper cables in the truck. Pull in front of camper, pop hood, and connect truck battery to camper battery cables. Plenty of amperage capacity to open slides, etc. Don't use the 7 way plug from truck to camper as the wires are not heavy enough for a high amperage load.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
In the psat when I had the camper stored with no shore power here's what I did. I always keep a good set of jumper cables in the truck. Pull in front of camper, pop hood, and connect truck battery to camper battery cables. Plenty of amperage capacity to open slides, etc. Don't use the 7 way plug from truck to camper as the wires are not heavy enough for a high amperage load.
That's a pretty great idea!

Tags
battery