Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
mgreene

New TT Radio question

We recently purchased a 2021 Springdale TT. My reception on the Furion radio is terrible. I pulled it out to check the antenna wire and found it coiled behind the radio. The unit has a Winegard air 360 plus that is supposed to work as the fm antenna but I can’t figure where it should be connected? I went back to the dealer and they have ordered a new radio, claiming internal issues with my old one, but it works fine if you pull the wire antenna out and hook to a metal clothes hanger! My question is should it be tied to the winegard at some point for reception and if so does anyone know how? Thanks
mgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
Mikendebbie

The radio in my last 3 RVs has been a pathetic box of soldered wires...Jayco, keystone Laredo, now Montana. The coiled up antenna is a joke. I recently bought a $10 car antenna from Walmart, mounted it in the cubby behind the TV. Now, at least I can pick up some fm stations and a few of the strongest am stations. Others on the Montana forum have mounted a car antenna to the outside and it works better. DW did not want me drilling on the exterior so I didn’t.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Before KeyTv there was a connection at the booster for FM radio. I haven’t taken a module out to see if there is an FM radio connection.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
mgreene

Everything I have found for the winegard antenna shows it with an adapter that plugs in the radio but none of them show where it connects? I contacted winegard tonight as well as contacted my dealer to ask them what the deal is. I wouldn’t have a problem adding an antenna if the camper didn’t already have one that should handle this!
mgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreene View Post
Everything I have found for the winegard antenna shows it with an adapter that plugs in the radio but none of them show where it connects? I contacted winegard tonight as well as contacted my dealer to ask them what the deal is. I wouldn’t have a problem adding an antenna if the camper didn’t already have one that should handle this!
Check the Winegard manual but my guess would be a splitter off the television.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #6
LHaven

I had my Furrion radio out of the wall last night to see if I could figure out why I couldn't get any AM stations. It has a single antenna jack in the rear, and it had a white coax dutifully plugged into it. It picks up the FM band quite fine, but I don't get a single AM station. My experience with other radios is that there are usually separate antennas for each band, but not on this bad boy. My last rig had a dedicated radio antenna on the roof; on this one, everything apparently feeds into the mushroom dome.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #7
spicercars

Our last trailer had a air360 and it was the biggest pile of you know what. It controlled the tv and radio. We went to a dish setup so we could have some tv to watch and I ended up installing an antenna and a booster to the radio so we could get some radio stations. Before that we could pull into a campground and the radio in the truck was clear as a bell. Get the camper set up and nothing. I have nothing good to say about the air 360. The old batwing was much better. And yes I was turning on the booster.
spicercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:27 AM   #8
LHaven

I'm not even clear about whether or not the booster is supposed to affect radio operation either way. I know that my booster was on while I had no AM band, because I had been watching antenna TV, and in my location I get nothing without the booster.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #9
jxnbbl

Quote:
I went through the logic of this when I was hooking up the Winegard gateway. The radio antenna coax cable just plugs into the same 'system' as your television.

Depending on the Winegard 360 that you have, it supports AM - mine does not...which (in my case) I could care less.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #10
mgreene

According to everything I have found in the manuals, they show the adapter that plugs in the radio but nothing shows where that connects to. Not sure if I should get a splitter and tie in somewhere or what??
Old 11-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

On our camper I purchased a stand alone amplified radio antenna that I have mounted behind the tv. We typically only use the radio for making noise to drown out outside noises when we leave the dog in the camper. The radio and air conditioner fan do a good job of keeping the dog satisfied (not barking).

Be aware that every splitter that you place into the tv cable will attenuate the signal and may reduce the number of channels your tv receives.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
Mike&Sandy

I just got off the phone with Furrion, they helped me with my issue. Give them a call 800-789-3341.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
mgreene

I really hate to call them when I don’t have an issue with their radio? From hooking the wires to the clothes hanger, I know the issue is just with not having an antenna. I think my biggest problem is with keystone for installing something and not hooking it up properly? I just hate to bother them with someone else’s issues.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
mgreene

Finally heard back from Winegard and there response by email was that the 360 air plus didn’t come with that adapter!! What a joke! I sent them back a screenshot of the instillation manual that clearly shows the audio adapter does come with the parts included but regardless that didn’t answer my question of where to hook it!! I decided to try calling them and see if things would go any better person to person. Don’t get too excited because it definitely didn’t! The lady initially told me it didn’t do fm signal until she red for herself the specs for the unit. She saw the radio adapter but had idea how it hooks up so she put me on hold to ask someone else. Then she come back with the answer! Hook it to the center coax hookup on the wall above the radio,,,,where my living room tv is hooked I guess. I told her the radio antenna wire was on the back of the radio unit, in the wall, and I weren’t going to unhook my tv to listen to the radio. Then she said I could use a splitter and just hook it into one of my tv lines! Needless to say, I’m leaning more towards just adding a separate antenna all the time!
Old 11-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I had my Furrion radio out of the wall last night to see if I could figure out why I couldn't get any AM stations. It has a single antenna jack in the rear, and it had a white coax dutifully plugged into it. It picks up the FM band quite fine, but I don't get a single AM station. My experience with other radios is that there are usually separate antennas for each band, but not on this bad boy. My last rig had a dedicated radio antenna on the roof; on this one, everything apparently feeds into the mushroom dome.
Most RV radios are just Double Din size automotive radios. They only have 1 antenna connection. Any antenna will be better than what they do at the factory. Even a "stubby" auto antenna if that's all that will fit will be better.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #16
mgreene

This one is about 1/2 of a double din! It has the double size faceplate with a standard sized car stereo hooked to the back of it! But it does do am/fm/ and dvd with Bluetooth but I would put a lot better stereo in it if it wasn’t for the zones. I haven’t seen that option on many of the automotive type stereo systems?
Old 11-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
This one is about 1/2 of a double din! It has the double size faceplate with a standard sized car stereo hooked to the back of it! But it does do am/fm/ and dvd with Bluetooth but I would put a lot better stereo in it if it wasn’t for the zones. I haven’t seen that option on many of the automotive type stereo systems?
The only mfg I'm aware of that makes a 3 zone unit is ASA (Jensen). Otherwise I would have changed mine out years ago. Just about any decent car radio will put them to shame. I guess that's what you get with a "lowest bidder" item.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
mgreene

Exactly, all overpriced with 1/3 of the options you could get in a low grade automotive one! So when you get the cheapest bidder involved, you really end up with a lot of low quality items in your high priced unit. All about the manufacturers maxing their profits!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #19
Silverdillo

I installed a wineguard 360 on my last trailer
The FM antenna is a separate coax cable that should plug directly into your radio
Silverdillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #20
Scott in Michigan

Take a look at my 6/22/19 post in this similar thread:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=38369&page=2

PM me if AM reception is of interest.

Scott
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio