Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
rls71929e

Insurance preferences

Good morning all.. I am a Progressive customer with our 2013 36 ft Cougar 5th wheel that we acquired in 2018. We were just denied a claim made due to a bad storm that caused rain to get into the camper and cause 3K worth of damage. I won't bore you with all details, just that I'm curious what insurance company you are happy with. I'm considering going with a different company but Progressive is cheaper. Am I getting what we paid for? Any input appreciated.
rls71929e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

It's very difficult to compare insurance rates and coverage among consumers. There's too many variables between state insurance laws, eligibility, age driving records, crime rates where you reside, and even your credit rating. Someone could recommend a policy that's not even offered in your state.

I'd suggest you call the different companies and/or agents and request a written coverage quote. Set down, start comparing and evaluate. It's a daunting task but the only way to truly compare.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
rls71929e

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's very difficult to compare insurance rates and coverage among consumers. There's too many variables between state insurance laws, eligibility, age driving records, crime rates where you reside, and even your credit rating. Someone could recommend a policy that's not even offered in your state.

I'd suggest you call the different companies and/or agents and request a written coverage quote. Set down, start comparing and evaluate. It's a daunting task but the only way to truly compare.
Unfortunately, I have checked with alot of the companies. Much more expense. I was curious if anyone had any input for a really good insurance company that they were happy with. I'm sure you are correct and I will continue to search. Thanks for your reply, happy travels.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
BrooksFam

I just signed up with Good Sam.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably one of the most "reliable" places to get insurance recommendations is from someone who deals with insurance companies on a regular basis, but doesn't sell insurance themselves.... In my case, that is/was the dealership service manager at my local RV dealership... They work with every insurance company, repair vehicles damaged by any/all types of situations, from wrecks, vandalism, theft, rain/natural causes, tree limbs falling, lawn mowers throwing rocks and even "tire blowouts at high speeds".... They could tell you which companies are "easy to work with" and which companies "nickle and dime them for everything"... Once you get the list of "good companies that actaully pay for the customer's losses" then start down that list, getting quotes from each of them. Then, make a choice based on premium price for what you get in return....

Insurance is NOT a "consumer service type business" it's actaully a "investment in risk management type business"... Every insurance company works to charge more money than they pay out, so find one that's responsive to your needs and spend your money gambling with them rather than with a company that "stacks the deck in their favor".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

We have had State Farm for years. We have the house, vehicles, camper, and boat when we had it. Always treated us well, never a claim denied. Residence is Maryland. They weren't the "cheapest" but well worth what we pay IMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
Badbart56

A friend of mine had Farmer's Insurance. He had roof damage that the insurance company repaired (backed under a tree limb IIRC) and later had delamination on the side of the trailer that wasn't related to the roof damage. They totaled the RV. It was a fifth wheel bunkhouse 2006 Gulfstream. Not sure how much they gave him but I know it was over $10K. This was about 4 years ago. No idea what his premiums were. My RV is insured for $45K plus contents. I ran NADA on it last month and the book value is around $36K I have no idea how much I pay. I do know we just switched from Allstate to Auto Owners Ins. and the price is almost half what we were paying.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I have Geico and have used them now for many years. I had Progressive previously and like you had an obvious claim denied. They did pay after a lot of haggling but moved to Geico right after it was paid. Geico has never denied or quibbled about a claim - auto or RV. Remember, cost is relative; saving $20 a month to have your claims denied and then spending $3k out of your pocket it not "cheaper" or saving money. Check with the various companies to check rates they vary a lot by region and company but, cheaper is not always cheaper.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #9
Jim2366

I heard people complain about every company that writes insurance. The reasons are that rates have increased or a claim turned down. In my experience claims that are denied are because it was for something thats not covered and that can not accept the fact. Just like a warranty on an RV or car. They might have bought the wrong coverage which is especially possible buying insurance online
Old 08-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
I heard people complain about every company that writes insurance. The reasons are that rates have increased or a claim turned down. In my experience claims that are denied are because it was for something thats not covered and that can not accept the fact. Just like a warranty on an RV or car. They might have bought the wrong coverage which is especially possible buying insurance online

I've had quite the difference experience in denied claims and have had all the original denials reversed except one...and they were wrong then. The Progressive denial was due to brand new 5.7 I/O hitting a submerged object 120 yards offshore and damaging the sterndrive. The young girl from Progressive approved repairing/replacing the skeg, prop and associated gear but denied replacement of the prop shaft - said it wasn't bent??? The SM tried to intercede and eventually she, I and the SM met and he put the shaft on a table and tried to roll it; the bend in it was obvious and it would just sort of "flop" over, not roll. He put a new one beside it and rolled it. I asked her if she could tell a difference or if both looked the same to her. She approved the replacement and huffed away. I subsequently cancelled the policy and told them I did not need kids for adjusters that didn't know a prop shaft from a space shuttle.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
notanlines

We are 47 year Geico customers also. We have never had the first problem, although I can't tell you if they would cover your water leak.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Gumby52

I've been with Travelers for better than 8 years now. Have always been treated well, when ever I call I get a real person on the phone within 1 minute regardless of time of day(I think their call center is in Memphis). Probably not the cheapest, but like Danny said - "Saving $20 a month to have a $3,000 claim denied isn't saving...

Before Travelers had SafeCo (subsidiary of Liberty Mutual) for more than 10 years. Always treated well by them as well. When I did have a claim I felt they were very responsive and fair.

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls71929e View Post
We were just denied a claim made due to a bad storm that caused rain to get into the camper and cause 3K worth of damage.

Unfortunately, I have checked with alot of the companies. Much more expense.

I'm considering going with a different company but Progressive is cheaper. Am I getting what we paid for? Any input appreciated.
I am immediately reminded of Monty Python's car insurance sketch:

Vicar: My car was hit by a lorry while standing in the garage and you refuse to pay my claim.

Devious: (rising and crossing to a filing cabinet) Oh well, Reverend Morrison, in your policy... in your policy... here we are. It states quite clearly that no claim you make will be paid.

Vicar: Oh dear.

Devious: You see, you unfortunately plumped for our 'Neverpay' policy, which, you know, if you never claim is very worthwhile, but you had to claim, and, well, there it is.

Vicar: Oh dear, oh dear.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #14
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls71929e View Post
Good morning all.. I am a Progressive customer with our 2013 36 ft Cougar 5th wheel that we acquired in 2018. We were just denied a claim made due to a bad storm that caused rain to get into the camper and cause 3K worth of damage. I won't bore you with all details, just that I'm curious what insurance company you are happy with. I'm considering going with a different company but Progressive is cheaper. Am I getting what we paid for? Any input appreciated.
How did the water get in? Open window? Through a roof opening? Physical damage to the camper that subsequently allowed water to get in? It is important because any other company may not cover the same loss for the same reason, so what would be the point in switching just because they gave you an answer you didn’t like?

Unlike homeowners or auto insurance which generally have a common base policy, RV, Boat, and Motorcycle insurance is considered “Toys” or non-essential, so coverage is like the wild wild west. Take your experience and shop it around, but if you find someone that might have covered the exact same loss that Progressive didn’t be careful because it might come at the expense of a different loss that Progressive might have covered but the new one won’t.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
Gumby52

That's a very good point about bundling - insurance companies do react differently to out-lier non-essential policies.

Not to make lite of rls71929e's OP, but sort of like Flo's focus group commercial. "Top of the Bundle to you.."

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
LadyFaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

Make SURE you know what is covered and what is not. Our insurance (State Farm) basically covers theft and fire and that is about all it covers. The collision and liability come from the tow vehicle insurance.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #17
rls71929e

Thanks for all the advice! It has helped tremendously. I'll contact the recommended companies and go from there. Y'all be safe and happy camping.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #18
takpak

insurance

We went with a company that most have never heard of, but are fairly large. It's American National Insurance (also known as ANPAC). The agent was at a car show we were attending. Discovered they were cheaper than what we had, with more benefits. We did the "whole deal" which is house, cars, RV, and collector vehicles. Also, if you go claimless for 3 years, they will refund 25% of your cost each year after that. Unfortunately, we didn't get to use it, as the second year we had to file a claim on roof damage on the fifth wheel from a tree limb. However, they paid everything without a quibble, except the deductible of course. Now we start over on our three year no claims deal. Agent was wonderful, and very helpful. American National is very conservative in who they insure, and they don't have stupid ads on TV either. So far we are very satisfied, so much so that two of our friends have switched to them as well, both for service and better pricing. Also dropped Good Sam as ANPAC has roadside assistance in their package as well. Used it once and they were great.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #19
Brantlaker

I have Progressive and had the same type of water leak and found out that. If it is a seal or gasket that caused a leak they will not Pay makes no difference what insurance you have. If you have a water leak and the seal or gasket is the cause it is considered Maintenance to repair it. Ask me how I know $2,500.00 USD later if I had known that I would have hit the Light with a tree branch and left the bark on it.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #20
jvbutter01

We have Farmers insurance for the home / cars / rentals. Unfortunately in Oregon, they do not offer TT insurance. They do have sister company, Foremost. We do have a policy with Foremost, no claims yet. Wont answer your question, but will give you experience.