Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #41
Harried Harry

After reading all the comments, I now realize the amount of "good" information must be searched for and found. Just like car salesmen, many tire salesmen will try to sell a tire if they can do it quickly. That said, relying on a tire dealership which has a reputation to maintain, then you are more likely to get decent tires. They may not be the best, but they won't be the worst. If you have the time to wait, they might be able to get very good tires at a reasonable price. So much to learn but not the decades I need to learn it in.

I did learn to cover all my trailer tires when parked to keep the sun off. Now I need to repack the bearings before I use the trailers (I have three) again.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

As for "tire salesmen and their recommendations"...

Remember that even the "big box stores like COSTCO and SAM'S CLUB" are limited by federal regulations from selling you tires that do not meet the requirements on the tire label found on the side of your trailer or on the driver's door pillar on your truck/car/SUV. They can "sell 'em to you" but they can't "install them on your vehicle, knowing they are not a "manufacturer's recommended/required size/type"... To do so would make them partly liable for any damage/accident that might result. Most won't accept that risk, even if they know the tires will "probably be OK"....

Then there is the "brands carried" limitation. Just as you'd not go to a BUICK dealer to buy a FORD, (the salesman would not recommend a FORD at that dealership) you can't go to just any "tire store" and get "any brand". The salesman will attempt to sell you "what they carry" not "what is the "top of the line in that size and application"... There's several reasons for that, primarily, he can't get something he doesn't carry or that is "franchised or trade restricted to authorized dealers" .. So, while recognizing that "all tires are not equal" you must also recognize that "all tire dealerships are not equal" and that means the "Tire salesman at all dealerships can't recommend/sell all brands"....

Shopping for tires, like shopping for tools, means you've got to first, determine what brand you want and shop at stores that carry that brand. If you don't know or if you don't do your "homework first", you can't go to a BUICK dealership and get "valid information on an F150"... Same with tires....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #43
pakuma

As a follow up. I replaced the tires with Carlisle HD, thay have an 80 mph speed rating stamped on the sidewall.
Towed trailer 700 miles, inspected tires, no wear on the outer treads.
I still plan to get it aligned just for extra insurance.
Thank you all for you comments
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote