Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Retired CSIGuy

Tire blow-out damage tip

2010 Fuzion 383. Oct 6, 2011. We were on I-10 near El PAso Tex when....."boom!"....center left side tire blew. Now being an old tire guy, I had checked the DOT numbers on the tires when I bought this rig new in late '10. The tires were mfg in '08 and I was going to replace them this year, but I was tyring to get at least one long trip out of them, and I always keep up with air pressure, don't let them set in one place for long time, or in water, keep 'em covered, etc, but I digress.....we were lucky and had a place to get off the interestate fairly quickly. The blow out didn't take the plastic fender out, but it did damage the rubberized fabric up under the fender above the tire, rippid out a bit of insulation and tore the center brake wires lose. I carry automotive wire and connectors so the brake wires were an easy fix. Put on the spare and limped into a Discount Tire in El Paso and got a new tire. I knew I had to get this done asap as I didn't want water from rain or whatever getting thrown up under the now exposed flooring, so while the tire was being installed, I cut two pieces of blue plastic tarp to fit over the damaged fabic ( I carry one of those also). From a nearby Lowe's, I got a tube of polyurethane constuction adhisive calk, and a small amount of insutlaion. From Napa I got a can of spray-on rubberized undercoat. I replaced the insuation, then beaded the edges of the tarp pieces with the adheasive and covered the damaged fabric. When that dried good (overnight) I sprayed several coats of the undercoating over the tarp pieces and surrounding area....good as new!....probably better.
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Repair

Sorry about the tire, but thanks for the good suggestion.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
gbsb

We to have a 2010 383 that had carlise tires on it. We took ours off before we made the first trip, hard thing to do replace new tires. We have been on the road since June 3rd with over 14000 miles on so far, no problems that sure feels good. Glad you had no major damage and thanks for the tip on quick repairs. George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired CSIGuy View Post
2010 Fuzion 383. Oct 6, 2011. From Napa I got a can of spray-on rubberized undercoat. I sprayed several coats of the undercoating over the tarp pieces and surrounding area....good as new!....probably better.
This might be a good thing to add to my to-do list. Another mod, just when I thought I was over all the mods of my camper..
easy, probably pretty cheap insurance and stronger than original material.
Thanks
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
LittleJoe

Talking

I cut pieces of galvanized tin to fit under edge of frame an screw to lip of lighter cross pieces that go out to trailer platics. Cover with undercoat spray.

They should not be allowed to put a trailer on road with only (thin) as my dealer called it.

I did this with my previous trailer and never worried about stones wearing through fabric and water damage to floor of trailer.

ANYTHING is better that what the factory provides in this area
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I cut old truck bed liners to fit. The front of the liner and about a foot of the floor works perfectly to line the top and the inner wall of the trailer wheelwell. I cut mine so that one side of the truck liner made the rear of the trailer wheelwell, and pieced another part onto the front of the trailer.

It took 2 pickup bed liners to do my trailer, but that black plastic is pretty light and it's almost bulletproof, so hopefully it'll hold up if I should have a blowout. The only issue is the thin plastic fenderwells that Keystone screws over the wheelwells. They look pretty, but I'd guess a blowout will damage them. Nice thing is they only cost about $40 so replacing them isn't a big deal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
hankaye

JRTJH, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only issue is the thin plastic fenderwells that Keystone screws over the wheelwells. They look pretty, but I'd guess a blowout will damage them. Nice thing is they only cost about $40 so replacing them isn't a big deal.
Think again, I went to buy a replacement for a 1995 TT I owned prior to my Couger. Try $175.00 and up! And those old ones were pretty much streight. Not all nince and curvy like the ones on the Keystones...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmm maybe I "misjudged" how much CHEAP PLASTIC is now-a-days.... Hopefully if I do have a blowout (hope it's not "WHEN") the plastic won't get damaged and the truck bedliner will protect the rest of the trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote