Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Patrice

Generator battery

I own a 410LEV and typically connect to shore power. We are currently building our retirement home and are currently staying in the RV during construction while waiting for permanent power and are relying on the generator to recharge the batteries.
Lately, I noticed that the generator battery is not being charged by the generator and needed to recharge it through other means. Seems to me I previously read about this but could not find a post on this topic.

Am my right is assuming that the generator charges the deep cycle battery first? Both batteries are brand new. Thanks.
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
Dusty

You should not have a separate battery for the gen. If you have two twelve volt batteries they should both be deep cycle and wired in parallel. If you have two twelve volt batteries one deep cycle and one not deep cycle, then I could see one for starting the gen only. If that is the case the deep cycle battery is being charged by the 410's system and as you have found out the other has to be charged by other means. If they are not both deep cycle do not try to wire them in parallel. They need to be same size, type, and age. Post a picture of both batteries and the wires going to them. This would help us try and figure it out.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
firestation12

Your generator only produces 120 volts AC. The batteries are charged by a voltage converter that takes the 120 volt AC output from the generator and converts it to 12 volts DC. If the voltage converter is defective or if the battery switch is in the off position, the trailer's batteries will not receive a charge. You state that you are able to recharge the batteries using an alternate source. This indicates to me that the battery condition is not so much the problem, but that the voltage converter is not working. Also check the circuit breaker that feeds power to the voltage converter, that is not tripped or or turned off. On my trailer, I have a separate battery (Odyssey PC925) to start the generator. I've installed a 10 amp diode between the generator's Odyssey battery and the trailer's charging system that allows current to flow one way only, to the generator battery. This insures I can always start the generator should the main batteries become drained.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Your generator only produces 120 volts AC. The batteries are charged by a voltage converter that takes the 120 volt AC output from the generator and converts it to 12 volts DC. If the voltage converter is defective or if the battery switch is in the off position, the trailer's batteries will not receive a charge. You state that you are able to recharge the batteries using an alternate source. This indicates to me that the battery condition is not so much the problem, but that the voltage converter is not working. Also check the circuit breaker that feeds power to the voltage converter, that is not tripped or or turned off. On my trailer, I have a separate battery (Odyssey PC925) to start the generator. I've installed a 10 amp diode between the generator's Odyssey battery and the trailer's charging system that allows current to flow one way only, to the generator battery. This insures I can always start the generator should the main batteries become drained.
It sounded to me like one battery was charging and the other was not. That would rule the converter out. Then again I could be reading to much into his post.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
Patrice

My batteries are in separate bays and once is dedicated to the generator, hence the reason they are not wired in parallel. I may have to look into the way firestation12 wired his RV...
Old 08-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The "easy way out" would be to buy a battery tender and connect it to the generator battery. That way, when the trailer is connected to shore power or when the generator is running, the battery tender will receive power to recharge the generator battery. If that proves not to be enough "recharge capacity" then maybe another "work around", but I'd try the easy way first.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
firestation12

The most common problem I've seen happen is a dead battery from running the furnace overnight while camping, without being plugged in to shore power. The camper wakes up to the furnace not running and not being able to start the generator. For me the peace of mind of always being able to start the generator is worth the effort to isolate a starting source for the generator.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
AbHDToyHauler

My trailer came to me with the generator start battery wired separately. There is switch in my battery bay that I can turn on that allows generator battery to charge along with house batteries but won't allow the house batteries to draw down the generator battery. This allows you to "use up"your house batteries and still fire up the generator to recharge everyone. The previous owner set this up so I just use it . Don't know exactly details.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #9
Richard n Gena

I also have a 410 LEV, when I bought it it was used both the battery were wired together. Then the good idea fairy made me think, if I separate them I wouldn't drain my "cranking" battery was a mistake. After my generator not starting during a week of camping I learned the Generator does not have an alternator or stator to recharge what I assumed would be a dedicated cranking battery. That in fact the only way to charge it was to allow the house regulator to do its thing by being wired together to keep both battery charged.
Richard n Gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider if you're connecting the generator start battery to the converter charging system, BOTH BATTERIES NEED TO BE THE SAME CAPACITY and should be the same age/brand/style... Otherwise, the weakest/smallest/most used will control the charging capacity and will potentially damage the other battery by over/undercharging. The converter "sees" both batteries as one and only charges to the condition it "sees"... So, potentially, you can have one battery with a bad cell and damage the other battery or have one battery that's fully charged, so the converter sees that charge and shuts off the charge circuits even though one battery is "nearly dead" or the worst condition (I think) two batteries, not the same size (say a GP24 and a GP31) tied to the same charging system, the smaller battery will continue to receive charging even though it's "full" while the converter continues to charge based on the larger battery condition. Eventually the smaller battery will "overcharge" potentially boil away the electrolyte and/or possibly overheat and start a fire based on being tied to the larger battery....

So, if you've got "a generator battery and a couple of house batteries" all tied to the same converter, you might want to do some "critical assessment" with regard to "converters need batteries that are matched in size and capacity"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 AM   #11
Patrice

Seems to me that AbHDToyHauler' setup is the way to go. Unfortunately, as he did not do the modifications himself, i will have to investigate that option further...

Tags
battery, generator