Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
LOMBANA

Exposed Plumbing Annoyance

New to the forum, longtime owner of another brand, new owner (in production) of a new Cougar 1/2 Ton.

In looking for a new coach, we found it annoyingly odd that for 30k to 40k you walk into a bathroom that has exposed plumbing for the toilet. Is it me or am I being too critical that for that kind of money you can't conceal a blue tube!

Loved the floorplan and opted to move forward but other vendors in the same class deliver a product that goes that extra step. It gets me even more that in 2019 the new steps are in use and even have the blue Keystone nameplate on them yet a 2 dollar blue tube can't be concealed.

Obviously not going to make me retract an order but honestly, seriously, exposed plumbing on a 30k investment ???

Miguel
LOMBANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Exposed Plumbing Annoyance

I’m working on a 2019 Tiffen Allegro RED. Retail $325,000.00 and it has exposed water supply to toilet. Just finished working on a $90,000.00 Grand Designs Solitude....YUP exposed toilet supply line.

My reason for pointing this out is that they ALL USE the same components, and the way they are made, makes it very difficult to “hide” some plumbing during construction without significant time taken. If the factory was to spend say $2.00 on EACH unit, times how ever many they produce each day, plus pay the labor to install said cover, you can see where the price point changes. IMO The industry as a whole does what they can to build a product that is acceptable to a majority of the market. It’s your choice NOT TO purchase based on any number of things that you may not like.

JMO, but I would find something much more important to gripe about...

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
ROLIN JOSEPH

Really?
Do you not have exposed plumbing to your toilet at home?

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
LOMBANA

Yes, I do! It's hidden behind the toilet so it's not the first thing you see when you walk into the bathroom... not a blue exposed tube that spans 18 inches from the wall to the other side of the commode.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Help me here. A 30-40k RV and you want completely enclosed water lines to the toilet? Have you ever seen that anywhere? Of course not. Homes costing 100s of thousands of dollars have exposed lines to the toilet. I would love to know the brand of the "other" trailer you had that you don't complain about and had "enclosed" plumbing to the toilet.

I think it would be interesting if you could provide all of the other brands that completely enclose all the plumbing to the toilet on a 30-40k msrp trailer - I've never seen one so looking forward to being "educated".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOMBANA View Post
Yes, I do! It's hidden behind the toilet so it's not the first thing you see when you walk into the bathroom... not a blue exposed tube that spans 18 inches from the wall to the other side of the commode.
I've owned/built many homes. I've never had one with specs that put the water inlet "behind" the toilet - won't work. It is always exposed, generally on the left side (just had some remodeling done on 2 bathrooms along with decades of other "mods") so that you, or a plumber, can access the line without pulling the toilet...... I'm thinking you need to focus more on the quality of the faux "cherry hardwood" trim???
Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

All I can say is don't open the vanity or look under the kitchen sink !!!!! And don't forget the plastic vanity sink or the lack of a handle on the drain plug for the bathroom sink !!!!! Sheesh, what were they thinking, using blue PEX rather than "designer white" to connect the toilet....

You knowif you really want to "worry about something, did you happen to see where the bathroom heat vent is located? It's beside the toilet. Before worrying about the color of the PEX, I'd be sure the "boy kids" (don't forget the one that sleeps in the master bedroom) have good enough aim not to fill the heater vent with "yellow liquid".... Dry urine has an odor that makes it much more "noticeable" than that blue PEX will ever be noticed.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
C.LeeNick

I can kind of see the point if the supply line needs to be 18 inches long. They should be able to plan better than that and get the supply line a little closer to the toilet input.

However, on the flip side, in the bathroom of our old Mobile Traveler Class C, the supply line is totally hidden behind the toilet. When I needed to rebuild the toilet valve on the old Thetford, it required pulling the toilet completely off the floor. At that point, I'd wished the supply line was a bit more accessible.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
vampress_me

I guess if you really can’t stand it blue -paint it white, or black, or grey, or ?

In our camper I didn’t like the look of the unfinished, MDF-like cut ends of the cabinet face frames that you could see the bottom ends of if you were sitting, or just lower than the bottom edge of the bathroom medicine cabinet or the kitchen uppers. So I just found a matching stain pen and stained them. Viola! Blends in now. Easy fix, no gripe.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Before worrying about the color of the PEX, I'd be sure the "boy kids" (don't forget the one that sleeps in the master bedroom) have good enough aim not to fill the heater vent with "yellow liquid".... Dry urine has an odor that makes it much more "noticeable" than that blue PEX will ever be noticed.....
Ewww! Thank you so much for that image - not! Sitting is a campers friend....

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
goducks

My house has exposed plumbing to the toilet. Not sure how else you can do it.
I guess the issue with exposed RV plumbing is they run it in the weirdest ways and usually with blue PEX. Not very clean looking.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

You know though, I don't think the blue pex looks any worse than the white/braided extension hoses you use from the water valve to any other faucet/toilet in a house really - and they're in all of them. Sort of like...if you want water there's a faucet whether you think they're cool or not. If you don't want it then what??
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like a weekend modification waiting to happen to me! Think of all the fun that could be had.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
New to the forum, longtime owner of another brand, new owner (in production) of a new Cougar 1/2 Ton.

In looking for a new coach, we found it annoyingly odd that for 30k to 40k you walk into a bathroom that has exposed plumbing for the toilet. Is it me or am I being too critical that for that kind of money you can't conceal a blue tube!

Loved the floorplan and opted to move forward but other vendors in the same class deliver a product that goes that extra step. It gets me even more that in 2019 the new steps are in use and even have the blue Keystone nameplate on them yet a 2 dollar blue tube can't be concealed.

Obviously not going to make me retract an order but honestly, seriously, exposed plumbing on a 30k investment ???

Miguel
Well now Miquel, good luck on finding a color coordinated sewer hose. Really this water supply is bothering you? Maybe you should motor on over to a Airstream dealer. You can get a "operating room look" for only 3X the cost with no slide outs. Not trying to be cynical (no need to try as it comes naturally to me) but before you go whining and crying about this take the time to read the posts of many new owners that have MAJOR issues with their campers. Maybe this will help.
https://youtu.be/HKERBS1Z_WY
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #15
mazboy

really? to much time on your hands.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #16
DJ&JA

I was astonished with the fit and finish when we started looking for ours. Then I found some informative videos on YouTube that told what to expect and why. As a cabinet/ furniture maker it is a big pill to swallow but there is plenty we can do to spice things up. Just yesterday, while evaluating my "free space" in the bathroom vanity I took some zip ties and tied all that extra tubing to the drain pipe and doubled my "free space". Some fixes can be that simple.

Enjoy your modifications!
DJ&JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #17
Number 4

A new member (longtime TT owner by the way) puts up a post about an irritation. Some responses commiserated and suggested modifications while others grabbed the baseball bat with nails. Had I received some of those aggressive responses when I joined up I'd have run for the hills and found a more receptive group. I get it, an exposed supply line is a minor irritation and we all know how TT's are slammed out at the factory and don't we all complain about it at one point or another? I've read many posts about "Where's the switch"? or "I'm confused on grey and black water valves" that seem like they could easily be self diagnosed, but the responses are always helpful. Let's keep this forum fun and informative. You've all been very helpful with my questions and I'm thankful for the overall tone of 99% of posts. Stepping off the soapbox now.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Miguel
I thought I was answering his question.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #19
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
A new member (longtime TT owner by the way) puts up a post about an irritation. Some responses commiserated and suggested modifications while others grabbed the baseball bat with nails. Had I received some of those aggressive responses when I joined up I'd have run for the hills and found a more receptive group. I get it, an exposed supply line is a minor irritation and we all know how TT's are slammed out at the factory and don't we all complain about it at one point or another? I've read many posts about "Where's the switch"? or "I'm confused on grey and black water valves" that seem like they could easily be self diagnosed, but the responses are always helpful. Let's keep this forum fun and informative. You've all been very helpful with my questions and I'm thankful for the overall tone of 99% of posts. Stepping off the soapbox now.
Well said!
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #20
LOMBANA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
I'm not new to forums, I ran one of the largest computer bulletin board systems in Florida back in the mid-80s and am all too familiar that I was setting myself up for a backlash of being unrealistic but the reality is that if 1 person from manufacturing read that post and takes it back to production and asks the same question and it leads to a change it was worth it.

BTW thanks for your response, very classy

Cheers!
Miguel

Tags
plumbing